Non exercise calorie eaters, please explain something to me

Options
I know, I know. I should not concern myself with other peoples methods and should just concentrate on my own.

However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Please could someone explain to me why you would join a website designed to help you lose weight, with many, many successful members, and trust this website to give you your daily calorie amounts, your macro targets, and to provide the nutritional information for thousands of different foods, yet when it tells you to eat your exercise calories back, said website is obviously out to sabotage your weight loss?

Please, for the love of God,

images_zpsf9ce10bf.jpg

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, either our egos get in the way, not understanding or just unrealistic expectations. Some think if they eat less they can lose more.
  • Gemma_Louisex
    Gemma_Louisex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you're right, you should probably just concern yourself with your own routine and methods.

I would imagine there are numerous reasons people don't always eat their calories back from exercise. For those who have a higher calorie intake as it is, 1800+, I can imagine that you could feel like you're eating enough within that and trying to consume more when you're not hungry would feel pointless and uncomfortable. I also think that MFP can overestimate on calories burned for certain exercise so perhaps people are worried about that aspect. I am sure there are a multitude of other reasons.

I actually think it's so rude to suggest people who don't eat their exercise calories back are so stupid or naïve that they assume MFP is "sabotaging" their weight loss.
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you're right, you should probably just concern yourself with your own routine and methods.

I would imagine there are numerous reasons people don't always eat their calories back from exercise. For those who have a higher calorie intake as it is, 1800+, I can imagine that you could feel like you're eating enough within that and trying to consume more when you're not hungry would feel pointless and uncomfortable. I also think that MFP can overestimate on calories burned for certain exercise so perhaps people are worried about that aspect. I am sure there are a multitude of other reasons.

I actually think it's so rude to suggest people who don't eat their exercise calories back are so stupid or naïve that they assume MFP is "sabotaging" their weight loss.

^^^This.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Haha, I knew I would get a response like this. Should I add a disclaimer? I'm sure not EVERYONE refuses to eat back their exercise calories because they are 'stupid' or 'naive' enough (your words) to think MFP is sabotaging them. But believe me, I see it a lot. 'I don't see the point' and 'why would you burn calories only to eat them again' are common responses.
  • patriciagriffiths9
    Options
    Well for me it was due to having a major stomach operation,but some people work on their feet all day and perhaps don't feel like excercising as such.I have found out that you only need 12oo cals if you don't exercise..but id been doing it wrong for years.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options

exactly! personally im not as hungry on days i work out, i do tend to slightly over eat on my rest day so i guess it evens out.

do what works for you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Some know better, they have manually set their calorie goal based on an average daily amount according to their usual weekly activities.

Most have not.

Which god?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, either our egos get in the way, not understanding or just unrealistic expectations. Some think if they eat less they can lose more.

Agree!! I was like that for the first couple days and realized that my metabolism is going to nose dive if I don't eat my exercise calories back and doing so has made a great improvement in my mood and energy levels.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    plus mfp tends to over estimate exercise calories so ive heard
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back for a very specific reason. I don't count every pat of butter, every teaspoon of sugar, every tablespoon of oil (etc, etc) in my daily calorie count. However, I know they have calories and they do add up. Therefore, the two hundred calories I burned from exercise is about cancelled out by the two hundred calories of oil and other miscellaneous food items I eat a day. This is what works for me. I hope that helps explain it to you.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    plus mfp tends to over estimate exercise calories so ive heard

It does, that's why when people ask, I say eat half. It tells me I burn nearly 500 calories in half an hour of swimming! :huh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've seen many different people lose tons of weight by not eating their exercise calories back. What works for some may not work for others. I personally feel like I'm starving if I don't eat them back, but I rarely eat all of them.

Some that use the TDEE method never eat their exercise calories back because it's already accounted for in their activity level. There are different reasons people don't eat their exercise calories.

I'm willing to bet 90% of those people needing help because they are not losing weight are either 1) eating more than they think they are, or 2) overestimating their calories burned. In either case, it doesn't matter if they eat their exercise calories or not. As long as a deficit is there, they will lose weight.

ETA: Bottom line: Not losing weight and not eating exercise calories are two mutually exclusive traits.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my calories, and I'm losing weight. :-)
    I don't eat then back because since I don't have a hrm I have no idea what I'm actually burning, and I k now devices tend to over estimate.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    Some people are only concerned with burning calories when they work out so if they eat it back they feel their workout was pointless. They totally disregard all the other great and healthful benefits of exercise but if calories are their main concern I could see why they wouldn't want to eat that back. And also may not realize that a deficit is already built in
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I only SOMETIMES eat PART of my exercise calories back. I'm never hungry. Been losing at a steady pace. So it's been working for me. But different strokes for different folks.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for everybody, but I'll often forego my exercise calories so I can eat pizza and drink beer on the weekend...yeah I know that's not how it works really; but I'm OK with that
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options

^ This.

I was going to write more, but it'll just come off b!tchy. So I'll shut up now.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    "Many, many successful members" do not eat back their exercise calories and I know this might cause your head to explode, but they eat 1200 calories, too.

Shhhhhhh.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for everybody, but I'll often forego my exercise calories so I can eat pizza and drink beer on the weekend...yeah I know that's not how it works really; but I'm OK with that

It works like that for me. :-D
    Wendy's and Whataburger put me 500 calories over yesterday, but I will exercise today and not eat those calories to make up for it.

And also, I would only tell someone to eat their exercise calories if they were feeling weak, hungry, or tired. I sure can't function on a net <1000 calories, but that doesn't mean everyone can't. It's awfully presumptuous to assume that that's the reason someone isn't losing weight.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself,,,,,when I do eat them back, I gain weight. Why? because my metabolism has slowed down, because, in my case, I'm 58 and I have some health issues, that can , at times, be a bit challenging. I think the important thing to understand is not everyone is living in your body......they have their own. They have different metabolism levels, health issues , maybe they are working 4 jobs and have 3 kids. You don't know, neither do I.