Non exercise calorie eaters, please explain something to me

Options

Replies

• knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back (unless its a long run day then I eat about 1/2 of them back) but thats because I figured out what my TDEE was based off my activity and did my calories around that. I eat 1900-2000 calories most day, therefore I have no need to eat my exercise calories back. Its easier for me personally to plan my day knowing thats the calorie range I need to be in and theres less pressure on my exercise calories burned to be able to eat what I want. If I burn over 600 calories I tend to eat some of them back just because thats what my body needs me to do. When I go to maintaining, I'll just up my calories to 2300-2400 and not eat my exercise calories back...simple. Each person should do what works for them, and what works for me being someone who works out in the evening most days is setting my calorie goal higher and not eating my exercise calories back. When I was eating them back I was ending up needing to eat a meal taht was close to 1200 calories and was constantly hungry during the day. Ive consistently lost size and body fat as well as some weight so I don't think I can say that what I'm doing isn't working.

Chances are, most of those people who don't eat their exercise calories back are grossly underestimating what they're eating. Ask someone what 2 tlbs of peanut butter or what 1/2 cup of icecream looks like and you'll find they're grossly overestimating, also ask them what 4oz of chicken looks like and you'll find they're severely underestimating for the most part. People also tend to not take into account the oils and things they use to cook items with and what calories are in those. Not saying this is everyone, but theres a high chance that this is most people who say "help I'm not losing weight"
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    "Many, many successful members" do not eat back their exercise calories and I know this might cause your head to explode, but they eat 1200 calories, too.

Shhhhhhh.

But even more of those people are unsuccessful, as proved by many threads on here, :wink:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    "Many, many successful members" do not eat back their exercise calories and I know this might cause your head to explode, but they eat 1200 calories, too.

Shhhhhhh.

They'll be back.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for everybody, but I'll often forego my exercise calories so I can eat pizza and drink beer on the weekend...yeah I know that's not how it works really; but I'm OK with that
    Actually, that is exactly how it works.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think, to be honest, the point has kind of been missed here. Some of you are saying you overeat one day and then won't eat back your exercise calories the next - this is still eating them back. Some of you are saying you use the TDEE method - this is still eating them back.

The people that this is targeting are the people that cannot lose the weight because they don't eat their exercise calories, or the people that net below 1200 calories because they don't eat their exercise calories. Why? MFP even warns you that amount is too low. Then said people start a thread asking why they are in a plateau. I don't think my question was unreasonable.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In my experience people tend to eat too much of their 'exercise calories' back and that's why they stop losing weight.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Those people generally plateau, not directly from their diet approach, but due to it's un sustainability.

I didn't post fast enough. The above is for those on a harsh deficit.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories because I follow Dan's method In Place of a RoadMap (IPOARM). I used a calorie calculator that takes into account not only how many hours per week I exercise, but also the fact that I have a desk job, along with my body fat %. So my workout calories are already calculated into my daily intake, whether or not I exercise since it's based off of the fact that my metabolism is higher. I'm not very good at articulating, so if you're curious, search the forums for IPOARM. Many people have used this method and it works for them and it generally works for me too, as I've only fluctated between the same five pounds over the past year and a half.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    *Looks at ticker* Yup it says 132 lbs loss, and guess what? I don't eat back my calories... Just saying... Why? Because I tried it and it didn't work.

Why do people suggest to eat at TDEE and come to this site and preach about it when it wasn't designed that way? Because everyone works different and people need to try what works best for them that isn't unhealthy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Shhhhhhh.

But even more of those people are unsuccessful, as proved by many threads on here, :wink:

I don't know that you can accurately say that. People struggling are more likely to go in and make a post looking for help. People who are not struggling don't tend to make threads asking why it's not working. There is no way you can claim that more of them are unsuccessful.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Those people generally plateau, not directly from their diet approach, but due to it's un sustainability.

^----Here's your answer.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know, I know. I should not concern myself with other peoples methods and should just concentrate on my own.

However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Please could someone explain to me why you would join a website designed to help you lose weight, with many, many successful members, and trust this website to give you your daily calorie amounts, your macro targets, and to provide the nutritional information for thousands of different foods, yet when it tells you to eat your exercise calories back, said website is obviously out to sabotage your weight loss?

Please, for the love of God,

images_zpsf9ce10bf.jpg

Uh well..I'm not a nutritionist. But your supposed to do recovery after you exercise. Most people think thats downing a whole Gatorade after 20 mins on the treadmill. =/

Usually I drink lots of water and put a little whey powder in there 1/2 scoop. But I do high intensity cardio (kickboxing) for about an hour. On the days I'm lifting, I don't do any recovery. I'll just eat dinner after...yay!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    *Looks at ticker* Yup it says 132 lbs loss, and guess what? I don't eat back my calories... Just saying... Why? Because I tried it and it didn't work.

Why do people suggest to eat at TDEE and come to this site and preach about it when it wasn't designed that way? Because everyone works different and people need to try what works best for them that isn't unhealthy.

I totally thought of you when I read this thread! You're the perfect example!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    During the week, I don't workout until after work so I don't know how many exercise calories I'll have (I use an HRM). By that time I've already eaten most of my calories and have no desire to have a big meal for dinner, I usually like to eat light. On the days I do workout in the mornings, I'm usually so busy during the day I don't have time to have regular meals and even though I try to eat more (i.e. big breakfast), I sometimes still come well under my calorie goal. Also like someone else said, I don't count every last thing, such as the milk in my coffee or the oil spray or all my supplements, so it is always good to have a cushion.

BTW I think I've done pretty well not eating back my all exercise calories.

ETA - I eat way more than 1200 calories
  • kattjohnsonmfp
    kattjohnsonmfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Shhhhhhh.

They'll be back.

Best response :D
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Some people already account for exercise when they tell MFP their activity level in their daily calorie calculation. Then eating back exercise calories would be double-dipping.
  • Billscrazygal
    Options
    This isn't sarcasm.. . I didn't really read everything when I signed up, does it really say you should eat your extra calories from working out? I vary from when I do or I don't depending on when I work out but I want to be doing the most productive thing
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Loved your Friday PSA! Great advice. :flowerforyou:

Sadly, there will be a few threads tomorrow with the title "I can't lose weight even though I am exercising 5 times a day and eating only 1200 calories, HELP!!!" :noway:

Happy weekend to all!!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time exercising. Most days I eat back at least most of my exorcise calories. Some days I burn in excess of 2000 calories during my workouts. That makes it too hard to eat back all of my calories. It just depends on the day I guess.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I get what you're getting at. Yes you can lose weight by not eating exercise calories back, but eventually you will hit a wall. If you eat 1200 calories, but burn 1800 total through exercise and and daily life, your body will eat away at your adipose tissue. That's what it's there for, extra energy storage. At some point though (likely the point where people go "what's wrong, why am I not losing?!?!?!!") your body is going to quit using adipose tissue. That's the point where eating your exercise calories back becomes important.

Any diet/exercise plan, case in point: anorexia, can cause weight loss. That doesn't make it the most healthy, sustainable option.