Non exercise calorie eaters, please explain something to me

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    Ok, I'm new to all of this. Could someone explain what "eat all your exercise calories back" means? I consume around 1800 calories a day and am just about to start an exercise program. So since I already consume a good amount of calories, what is meant by "eating your calories back"? I guess I am just ignorant of this concept.

What they mean by eat back your exercise calories is, if you burn say 500 calories in a day, you now have 2300 calories you can consume.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    I don't eat mine back (unless its a long run day then I eat about 1/2 of them back) but thats because I figured out what my TDEE was based off my activity and did my calories around that. I eat 1900-2000 calories most day, therefore I have no need to eat my exercise calories back. Its easier for me personally to plan my day knowing thats the calorie range I need to be in and theres less pressure on my exercise calories burned to be able to eat what I want.

This is what I do, too. Rather than worrying about how many calories I burned for a particular workout, or trying to eat or not eat based on my appetite, I calculated a constant calorie goal based on my average weekly workouts. Now I just log all my workouts as having burned 1 calorie.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    so the assumption is that if you put in a goal above 1200 in MFP then you are doing TDEE? um... no

i could have a goal of only losing 1lb a week and that would put me at sedentary of 1700 a day before exercise so with the whole eating back calories i would need to eat 1700 calories + any exercise calories.

That's not what anybody said at all...

Seems like he did a pretty good job, MFP had you set up at 1200 calories + exercise calories, your dietician set you up between 1600 - 1900 calories which is eating some of your exercise calories back. You pretty much just made the OP's argument by saying your dietician agrees with what she is saying. It seems most of the people who have a problem with what the OP is saying are actually eating their exercise calories back, but just don't realize it, because it is already manually entered into what they can eat, and the ones who don't do it, that is also fine if it is working with them, but you have to admit that we see tons of threads everyweek where somebody isn't eating them back, and not losing weight.

that's basically what this is saying.

He pointed out that SHE is doing the TDEE method. You assume he meant everybody eating more than 1200 calories is doing TDEE, which is not what he said at all.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    OMG...the types of threads the OP is refering to are what made me switch to TDEE...who wants to worry about an extra number that you really can't track accurately and flucuates daily anyway? That made me frustrated and HUNGRY on rest days.

I eat 2100 calories/day, lift stuff and walk. Some days I eat more and do nothing. It all averages out at the end of the week. Tres simple, n'est pas?
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    I tend not to eat my calories back because I have my MFP goal set to only lose 1lb a week. Because of my weight, MFP tells me to eat 2010 calories. Even with exercise and me being a big girl (and I tend to estimate calories burned conservatively compared to the numbers MFP gives me) I generally find if I eat the calories back its too much now. I feel overstuffed. So I would rather not. I can't let myself go back to the mindset that it is okay to eat until I am stuffed. I'd rather be a little hungry. I find I'm losing about 1.5lbs to 2lbs a week.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Because MFP, and exercise machines, way overestimate exercise calories. I don't work out often enough or hard enough to burn so much that it would sabotage my weight loss by not eating the calories back.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    so the assumption is that if you put in a goal above 1200 in MFP then you are doing TDEE? um... no

i could have a goal of only losing 1lb a week and that would put me at sedentary of 1700 a day before exercise so with the whole eating back calories i would need to eat 1700 calories + any exercise calories.

That's not what anybody said at all...

Seems like he did a pretty good job, MFP had you set up at 1200 calories + exercise calories, your dietician set you up between 1600 - 1900 calories which is eating some of your exercise calories back. You pretty much just made the OP's argument by saying your dietician agrees with what she is saying. It seems most of the people who have a problem with what the OP is saying are actually eating their exercise calories back, but just don't realize it, because it is already manually entered into what they can eat, and the ones who don't do it, that is also fine if it is working with them, but you have to admit that we see tons of threads everyweek where somebody isn't eating them back, and not losing weight.

that's basically what this is saying.

He pointed out that SHE is doing the TDEE method. You assume he meant everybody eating more than 1200 calories is doing TDEE, which is not what he said at all.

My point is how does anyone know that she is doing the TDEE method? She's consuming 1600-1900 calories a day and not eating back exercise. Where does she what her overall needs are if her TDEE is 2200 and she eats 1600 a day that's a deficit of 600 calories a day before any exercise.

it depends on a persons goals what they aim to consume. so just because she was upped to 16-19 doesnt mean it's eating back her exercise calories as assumed on an average it could simply be upping her calories at a moremoderate rate of weightloss.

How does anyone know what a persons daily consumption should be with out them providing the details of their lives? it boils down to people making assumption of others based on limited information.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    I've seen many different people lose tons of weight by not eating their exercise calories back. What works for some may not work for others. I personally feel like I'm starving if I don't eat them back, but I rarely eat all of them.

Some that use the TDEE method never eat their exercise calories back because it's already accounted for in their activity level. There are different reasons people don't eat their exercise calories.

I'm willing to bet 90% of those people needing help because they are not losing weight are either 1) eating more than they think they are, or 2) overestimating their calories burned. In either case, it doesn't matter if they eat their exercise calories or not. As long as a deficit is there, they will lose weight.

ETA: Bottom line: Not losing weight and not eating exercise calories are two mutually exclusive traits.

I've been eating my exercise calories back since I started on here and it's worked fairly well. However in the last few months I've hit a bit of a wall and I believe some of it is just brain drain from juggling what I burn for how much more I can eat each day. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just need a break from it and want to try something new. I'm trying the TDEE method starting today, eating 200-300 less calories than my TDEE which already has my activity built in. I know there's debate on whether you should eat your TDEE or if it's OK to go a bit lower like I'm trying. It still gives me plenty of calories and my net each day should be about the same as it's been or more. If I feel like it's not working I'll up my calories to TDEE and see how that goes.
    I would totally agree with the poster above and add that not everyone's brain works the same way. I can see how either approach would make sense to different people. You get to the same place just from a different angle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm not counting any more, but when I was, the vast majority of the time I didn't "eat back".

I had calculated my TDEE/BMR and went for a TDEE-15% with my exercise factored in.

Much of the time I logged my exercise as 1 calorie.

Yes, I know that's not how MFP is set up to be used, but that's how many of us have used it.

For me, personally, "eating back" was not how I wanted to view the math.
    Thinking in discrete 24hour segments was not how I wanted to view the process.

I'm sure there are others who approach things as I have.
    There's more than one way to skin that cat as they say...
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    You are making the rather bold assumption that we are all using MFP's guestimate as to what our daily caloric needs are. Which is far from accurate. A lot of us have been here long enough and successful enough to know that it doesn't work for every one. We know that MFP tends to shove way too many people immediately on the 1200 calorie a day diet when I don't think it is appropriate. A lot of us now have moved to a TDEE - X% approach which doesn't need us to eat back our exercise calores because that is already included in our TDEE to begin with. A lot of us calculate our own TDEE based upon our own data (using MFP's food diary to calculate our caloric intake) as opposed to the on-line TDEE calculators to get as accurate a TDEE as possible.

It just seems a tad arrogant to think that there is one and only one way to do things. You use a variety of tools and a variety of resources to take the best of each.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I've seen many different people lose tons of weight by not eating their exercise calories back. What works for some may not work for others. I personally feel like I'm starving if I don't eat them back, but I rarely eat all of them.

Some that use the TDEE method never eat their exercise calories back because it's already accounted for in their activity level. There are different reasons people don't eat their exercise calories.

I'm willing to bet 90% of those people needing help because they are not losing weight are either 1) eating more than they think they are, or 2) overestimating their calories burned. In either case, it doesn't matter if they eat their exercise calories or not. As long as a deficit is there, they will lose weight.

ETA: Bottom line: Not losing weight and not eating exercise calories are two mutually exclusive traits.

I've been eating my exercise calories back since I started on here and it's worked fairly well. However in the last few months I've hit a bit of a wall and I believe some of it is just brain drain from juggling what I burn for how much more I can eat each day. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just need a break from it and want to try something new. I'm trying the TDEE method starting today, eating 200-300 less calories than my TDEE which already has my activity built in. I know there's debate on whether you should eat your TDEE or if it's OK to go a bit lower like I'm trying. It still gives me plenty of calories and my net each day should be about the same as it's been or more. If I feel like it's not working I'll up my calories to TDEE and see how that goes.
    I would totally agree with the poster above and add that not everyone's brain works the same way. I can see how either approach would make sense to different people. You get to the same place just from a different angle.

Actually, in order to lose weight, you must eat less than your TDEE. I think you mean that there's debate on whether or not you should eat at or below your BMR. In that case, yes, there's tons of debate on that.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I know, I know. I should not concern myself with other peoples methods and should just concentrate on my own.

However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Please could someone explain to me why you would join a website designed to help you lose weight, with many, many successful members, and trust this website to give you your daily calorie amounts, your macro targets, and to provide the nutritional information for thousands of different foods, yet when it tells you to eat your exercise calories back, said website is obviously out to sabotage your weight loss?

Please, for the love of God,

images_zpsf9ce10bf.jpg

I very seldom ate exercises calories back, and I still don't every time, unless I am hungry. My weight loss was slow but steady and I never plateau, and I knew better than ask for help or opinions in the forums. I have been on maintenance for over two years; so I am one of those very successful members that did things her way. I guess that some of us 'snowflakes" do get the love of God after all.

Go ahead, do your own thing and leave the rest of us to do ours and for the love of God don't tell everybody what to do or what they should do unless they ask for. I am sure that the good Lord don't care if we eat or not our exercises calories.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Because my family doctor, dietitian, and personal trainer all told me I SHOULD NOT eat back my calories when I asked them directly.

1. Eating back your calories can create an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise.

2. Why do the work to create a deficit if you're going to eat the deficit back?

3. It's more important to eat intuitively than to always eat back your calories or never eat back your calories. If I am starving after a hard work out, I eat some of my calories back. If I have energy and feel okay, I don't. I am not afraid of fueling my body. I am not afraid to work out hard and not eat those calories back either.

4. It's hard to calculate calories burned accurately. If you're off in your calculations and always eating back your calories, your progress will be much slower or there may be no progress at all. This is especially true the closer you are to your goal.

I have averaged 3 lbs a week for two months. I don't binge. I don't feel weak. I go over my calories and eat back my exercise calories when I am hungry. I feel great. I am reaching my goals. Waiting for my plateau, but even those who do eat back their calories are waiting for/experiencing that. It's a part of weight loss whether you do or don't eat back your calories. When people try to blame normal plateaus on the choice to not eat back calories, I find that pretty irritating.
  • Although I see your point I do think it's not so simple as eat all the calories. MFP in my experience over estimates exercise calories. That's not so much a problem if you know this and can adjust accordingly but for newbies it can be confusing as you think your doing everything right. If you set your calorie goal at 2 pounds a week then you will probably still be making a deficit but if your eating at a more sensible 0.5-1 pound a week deficit it doesn't take much to end up over eating.

If you are hitting the gym hard on a regular basis then I see the point, eat back some of your exercise cals, If you are fairly sedentary and do some light walking I don't really see it helping, different strategies works for different lifestyles. Also if you are dangerously overweight and losing with the advice of a doctor/nutritionist it may be better for that individual to lose weight at a faster rate (i.e a larger deficit) than someone who only has a stone a lose.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    The Bigger the deficit, the bigger the lose
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    I know, I know. I should not concern myself with other peoples methods and should just concentrate on my own.

However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Please could someone explain to me why you would join a website designed to help you lose weight, with many, many successful members, and trust this website to give you your daily calorie amounts, your macro targets, and to provide the nutritional information for thousands of different foods, yet when it tells you to eat your exercise calories back, said website is obviously out to sabotage your weight loss?

Please, for the love of God,

images_zpsf9ce10bf.jpg

I have not read through the thread, so I am probably echoing others. This is a matter of semantics. I, and many others, set their calories using TDEE which already accounts for exercise burn. This just makes more sense FOR ME. It also makes logging easier since I am not trying to figure out calories burned for each workout.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 468 Member
    plus mfp tends to over estimate exercise calories so ive heard

Use a heart rate monitor.
  • For me, honestly, it was not understanding how things work. I had a very simplistic "Calories In < Calories Out" approach and figured that if my goal was X then eating fewer calories than X would allow me to achieve my goals quicker, so I saw it as an achievement when I exercised my calories down below my target.

However, rather than post that I'm not losing any weight I read the (many) threads by people who had already said the same and have started to try and hit my goal rather than 'beat' my goal each day.

It's tricky because the idea of eating more to lose more is so utterly counterintuitive but I really have reached the point of despair with my weight refusing to shift so I'll give anything a go at this point.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

They are not that accurate either, specially when you are mostly doing strength training.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member

They are not that accurate either, specially when you are mostly doing strength training.

What kind are you using? Polar Ft4 seems to be pretty close, but I don't eat back my workout calories so I am not someone you might want to take that advice from