Non exercise calorie eaters, please explain something to me

Options

Replies

• dondenno
    Options
    Ok, I'm new to all of this. Could someone explain what "eat all your exercise calories back" means? I consume around 1800 calories a day and am just about to start an exercise program. So since I already consume a good amount of calories, what is meant by "eating your calories back"? I guess I am just ignorant of this concept.

What they mean by eat back your exercise calories is, if you burn say 500 calories in a day, you now have 2300 calories you can consume.

Thank you for the prompt and simple answer (simple is always good). So you exercise to burn calories, but you want to eat those calories back. How interesting. It's much easier being fat.... if it wasn't for that pesky Type2 diabetes.. Again, thank you!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would hate to be thinking i lost 200 calories of exercise and then thought wow i can now eat 200 more calories, when really i only exercised off 100 calories..

that means im overeating 100 calories.

no thanks!

im sticking to not eating back exercise calories.

no way jose.

no thanks..

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo never.. no nyet nope ono noez.

and a final NO!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    ---> @ACDC27
    Well I'm a pretty big guy and I get over 2k calories a day. I also do a good bit of cardio and somedays burn almost 1000 calories of cardio no way I'm eating another 1000 calories. I'm losing steady weight so works for me.

^^^ that is what I am doing exactly - RIGHT ON!

1. Eating Over 2K calories per day
    2. Burning between 600-1100 per day
    3. Netting between 1600-1900

Losing about 2-3 lbs per month and enjoying every minute of it.
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you're right, you should probably just concern yourself with your own routine and methods.

I would imagine there are numerous reasons people don't always eat their calories back from exercise. For those who have a higher calorie intake as it is, 1800+, I can imagine that you could feel like you're eating enough within that and trying to consume more when you're not hungry would feel pointless and uncomfortable. I also think that MFP can overestimate on calories burned for certain exercise so perhaps people are worried about that aspect. I am sure there are a multitude of other reasons.

I actually think it's so rude to suggest people who don't eat their exercise calories back are so stupid or naïve that they assume MFP is "sabotaging" their weight loss.

^^ this, because I don't eat mine back and I loose weight. I eat when I'm hungry and eat healthy while minding my calories. But I'm not going to force myself to eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would hate to be thinking i lost 200 calories of exercise and then thought wow i can now eat 200 more calories, when really i only exercised off 100 calories..

that means im overeating 100 calories.

no thanks!

im sticking to not eating back exercise calories.

no way jose.

no thanks..

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo never.. no nyet nope ono noez.

and a final NO!

But you are not "overeating" by 100 calories because MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. At the very worst, your deficit is merely 100 less than it was before exercise.

Why not eat 50% of your exercise calories.....and protect muscle mass. Exercise while dieting should help protect muscle....but not eating enough defeats that.....it's like exercising to "reduce" muscle mass.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    plus mfp tends to over estimate exercise calories so ive heard

Use a heart rate monitor.

They are not that accurate either, specially when you are mostly doing strength training.

What kind are you using? Polar Ft4 seems to be pretty close, but I don't eat back my workout calories so I am not someone you might want to take that advice from

I don't use/own a HRM; I never did. I took/take whatever the machines at the gym gave me (for the little amount of cardio that I do), and what MFP says that I burn doing Pilates, Yoga, and weight training. And I only log 1/2 the calories that MFP gives me for my Ballet class.
    I read in the Forums that the heart rate monitor is not very accurate for strength training, so it justified my reluctance about getting one (I am not a gadget person), especially since I don’t eat all my exercise calories back either.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I do what works for me which is not eating all of my exercise calories back.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I "bank" a lot of my exercise calories so that I can have an epic "cheat day" once a week
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I get what you're getting at. Yes you can lose weight by not eating exercise calories back, but eventually you will hit a wall. If you eat 1200 calories, but burn 1800 total through exercise and and daily life, your body will eat away at your adipose tissue. That's what it's there for, extra energy storage. At some point though (likely the point where people go "what's wrong, why am I not losing?!?!?!!") your body is going to quit using adipose tissue. That's the point where eating your exercise calories back becomes important.

Any diet/exercise plan, case in point: anorexia, can cause weight loss. That doesn't make it the most healthy, sustainable option.

But how many people actually burn 1800 or the aforementioned 2000 calories a day on an almost daily basis ?

I do. On my workout days, I burn around 2700-3000 calories, sometimes more. Non-workout days are generally around 2400.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think this is the most popular thread I've ever posted. :laugh:

Are you satisfied with the answers you received?

Some of them. It's mostly full of butthurt and people not understanding the point. I did get some nice PMs though.
    The replies I read to you "question" (which wasn't really a question, and didn't want an explanation) didn't seem very "butthurt".

Mayhaps "butthurt" is losing its meaning here just as "bully" has. :flowerforyou:
  • x2greenxeyes
    Options
    Can you do this!?!? Say I work out for 2.5 hours (tends to happen) one day but am not hungry to eat all my calories back. So then the next day or the following I eat a little more. Could I still lose weight this way??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Can you do this!?!? Say I work out for 2.5 hours (tends to happen) one day but am not hungry to eat all my calories back. So then the next day or the following I eat a little more. Could I still lose weight this way??
    Yup.
  • x2greenxeyes
    Options
    That is such an exciting fact! I've recently updated my calorie intake to 1300 calories a day based on my BMR. I think I did it right... It probably really should be 1350 but i'm allowing for error. I do a lot of yoga, cardio, and strength training when i'm at the gym which usually leaves me there for 2.5 hours and a lot of exercise calories that need to be eaten back. However, I usually never get there because I don't eat a lot to begin with.

Therefore, if I can eat more the next day.... that'll be AWESOME.

I've been dieting and working out for 3 weeks now.. I've had a change in how my body looks but still according to the scale have not lost a single pound.
  • vellacraptor
    Options
    I just eat when I'm hungry...if I overeat I get shoulder pain?? lol
    My bad habit is not eating when I'm working because I'm so focused and engrossed in my work I forget about everything else. I try to bring a granola bar or apple with me now so I have to eat it to not carry it around the crowded lab so that helps.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    "Many, many successful members" do not eat back their exercise calories and I know this might cause your head to explode, but they eat 1200 calories, too.

Shhhhhhh.

They'll be back.

Along with 90% of the rest of people who lose weight.

People gain their weight back because it's easy to overeat for activity level, but it's easy to go into denial or to become complacent. People don't fail in maintenance because they ate 1200 calories or because they didn't eat back exercise calories 2 years ago. (If someone is eating 1200 calories or not eating back exercise calories and then binge eating or overeating the other days while dieting, that clearly isn't working for them and they should eat more on a day to day basis.)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Seems to me it's the other way 'round - most "Help! I'm Stalling!" posts are from people who ARE eating exercise calories back. Since it's even harder to correctly measure calorie burn than it is to measure calorie intake, it's no surprise that people are getting in trouble this way.

IMO, the the "TDEE - X%" approach is much easier to manage, for most people, on a day-to-day basis, and that method does not eat back exercise calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    However, I would say 90% of the threads I read that say 'help, I'm not losing weight!' are made by people that are not eating their exercise calories back

Seems to me it's the other way 'round - most "Help! I'm Stalling!" posts are from people who ARE eating exercise calories back. Since it's even harder to correctly measure calorie burn than it is to measure calorie intake, it's no surprise that people are getting in trouble this way.

IMO, the the "TDEE - X%" approach is much easier to manage, for most people, on a day-to-day basis, and that method does not eat back exercise calories.
    THIS
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    That is such an exciting fact! I've recently updated my calorie intake to 1300 calories a day based on my BMR. I think I did it right... It probably really should be 1350 but i'm allowing for error. I do a lot of yoga, cardio, and strength training when i'm at the gym which usually leaves me there for 2.5 hours and a lot of exercise calories that need to be eaten back. However, I usually never get there because I don't eat a lot to begin with.

Therefore, if I can eat more the next day.... that'll be AWESOME.

I've been dieting and working out for 3 weeks now.. I've had a change in how my body looks but still according to the scale have not lost a single pound.
    Your body doesn't know it's on 24 hour increments. :-). Try to think of it more long term/big picture. Which is part of why "eating back" never made sense for me. I ate to fuel my body every day, regardless of whether it was workout day or rest day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I know, I know. I should not concern myself with other peoples methods and should just concentrate on my own.

Please could someone explain to me why you would join a website designed to help you lose weight, with many, many successful members, and trust this website to give you your daily calorie amounts, your macro targets, and to provide the nutritional information for thousands of different foods, yet when it tells you to eat your exercise calories back, said website is obviously out to sabotage your weight loss?

Please, for the love of God,

images_zpsf9ce10bf.jpg
    Being in a bigger deficit because people don't eat back their calories from exercise doesn't stall weight loss, it speeds it up. The problem is they don't know how much they actually eat or burn.