Starting to eat real food and avoiding all processed

Options

Replies

• Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Since my weight loss journey began 1 year ago, I have experienced some changes in my body. I have been experiencing some eyesight dizziness, if you understand that. Along with that, I always feel crap in the mornings, especially in my face, I feel like I haven't slept, my eyes are soooooo heavy and I have little energy. I am eating quite healthily, I eat a lot of veggies, proteins and carbs, including dairy for calcium. I also take omega 3 caps and a multivitamin tablet. I believe that the problem, which has always been staring me in the face, but I refuse to accept it until today is, my worst enemy but best friend, DIET COKE. I drink a lot, and have been drinking more than I can I would admit throughout the past few months, which is when I started to experience these issues. After watching the documentary, hungry for change, I am now, hungry for change, I don't want any fake sugar, I don't want any fake food, msg, aspartame, I don't want any of it, I want to eat real natural unprocessed food from now on. I will do an update of any changes in my health I will experience in the weeks to come, and I have no doubt by Gods grace I will see an abundance of good health.

I choose to eat clean because i don't miss the depression and out right crappy feeling that came with eating junk all the time. Say what ever the hell you want about how its all bull___ and all that but both my wife and myself do not eat junk at all and as a result, no depression, recover from exercise faster, sleep better, more energy. Keep in mind that a lot of these "processed foods" have chemicals in them that will alter the body and brain function when consumed in large amounts. I know if you wanted to have a bag of chips or a slice of pizza you would probably feel no negative effects from it as a result. Bottom line is everyone is different and food will affect people in different ways. You just have to choose what is right for you not what everyone says is the right thing to do. :heart:

I would imagine numerous changes to lifestyle is what caused the decrease in symptoms of depression. Food cannot eliminate depression.

OP: Set realistic goals, do not be afraid of critical thinking, and go see a doctor for your medical concerns. (psst...I doubt it is the Diet Coke)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.
    You forgot chemtrails and the faked moon landing.
    Go ahead and provide any evidence for your claims.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Since my weight loss journey began 1 year ago, I have experienced some changes in my body. I have been experiencing some eyesight dizziness, if you understand that. Along with that, I always feel crap in the mornings, especially in my face, I feel like I haven't slept, my eyes are soooooo heavy and I have little energy. I am eating quite healthily, I eat a lot of veggies, proteins and carbs, including dairy for calcium. I also take omega 3 caps and a multivitamin tablet. I believe that the problem, which has always been staring me in the face, but I refuse to accept it until today is, my worst enemy but best friend, DIET COKE. I drink a lot, and have been drinking more than I can I would admit throughout the past few months, which is when I started to experience these issues. After watching the documentary, hungry for change, I am now, hungry for change, I don't want any fake sugar, I don't want any fake food, msg, aspartame, I don't want any of it, I want to eat real natural unprocessed food from now on. I will do an update of any changes in my health I will experience in the weeks to come, and I have no doubt by Gods grace I will see an abundance of good health.

I am surprised that you can get out of bed at all. You are set for 1000 calories a day, net a lot less because of exercise. You eat on average only once a day, skipping breakfast and dinner....and then blame it on the diet coke. I agree that it is a good idea to maybe drink less of it, but don't think it's the cause of your problem. The quality of what you eat is barely ok, but YOU HAVE TO EAT MORE and MORE OFTEN !
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In with popcorn, getting all my fiber early today! Love this place. :heart:
    654xsn.gif
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Diet Rich in Processed Food Linked to Increased Risk for Depression

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711867

You would really think i would post without evidence to support my claim?
    Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet and I also drink diet soda by the bucket full. No dizziness, feeling crappy etc. You need to eat more calories period.
  • KayGodschosenone
    Options
    Want something sweet? Drink tea w/ honey. You can't go wrong!!! God bless
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    I have to agree with most of the posters here, that over-tired and dizzy thing sounds like low blood sugar stemming from docking your caloric intake too far.

Some of my personal favorites for adding GOOD calories (rather than "empty" processed sugar or fillers): Raw Revolution bars. Gluten-free, Lactose-free, Kosher, Vegan, Vegetarian, non-GMO, all-Organic. All the varieties run in the 220-260 calories range and they're not chalky/grainy like a lot of other protein/grain bars (looking at you, Clif Builders!). I have one before my morning workout for a good energy boost and they're easy to pack along for a quick snack.

Also, I haven't looked at your diary at all but you said you're eating lots of veggies, protein, dairy, etc. Dairy isn't BAD for you, but all things in moderation. I find I'm a little sluggish if I eat too much dairy (even the good kind like Greek yogurt, kefir, sheep cheese, etc). Even if you're not lactose intolerant you might want to ease up on the dairy a bit.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the last week of your diary you aren't eating any where near enough food. One meal a day for most of them and you didn't get enough protein or fats on any of them. Your head aches are not from diet coke it's from your body not having enough nutrients to take care of itself. Eating less processed foods isn't your problem eating more food of any kind is. If I don't eat enough I get headaches, I feel dizzy and my entire mood is affected. I'm glad you want to feed your body healthy food but I suggest starting out by feeding your body.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I choose to eat clean because i don't miss the depression and out right crappy feeling that came with eating junk all the time. Say what ever the hell you want about how its all bull___ and all that but both my wife and myself do not eat junk at all and as a result, no depression, recover from exercise faster, sleep better, more energy. Keep in mind that a lot of these "processed foods" have chemicals in them that will alter the body and brain function when consumed in large amounts. I know if you wanted to have a bag of chips or a slice of pizza you would probably feel no negative effects from it as a result. Bottom line is everyone is different and food will affect people in different ways. You just have to choose what is right for you not what everyone says is the right thing to do. :heart:

But you're not eating a totally clean/whole foods diet, so wouldn't the better message be-eat healthy and then eat non 'clean' foods in moderation? Not trying to pick on you, but you're using cookies n cream protein powder that has sucralose in it, which is an artificial sweetener :tongue:
  • nomeejerome
    Options

Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.

That is not evidence, that is one study.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    OP...

I woke up dizzy and unable to walk one morning. They found nothing wrong me except I was dizzy and unable to walk (and coudln't eat while dizzy, make me sick when I tried) So i went through everything in my life with a fine tooth comb. I think it was my eating habits. I agree that cutting out sodas, including diet, and eating less processed foods and more real foods will help. HOWEVER, what will really help is if you eat enough consistently. I have increased my calories and been able to keep those spells at bay and continued losing weight. I feel better to (I didn't even know I felt like crap, but i did). Under-nourishing your body can cause all kinds of problems. Also get your blood sugar checked and everything else while you are at it. Just to be sure. I did. I'm healthy except i was dizzy for a week and went 2 days where it was so bad I couldn't walk straight. Right now i'm struggling to keep my calories up, but I was doing really good for awhile there. And I eat fairly clean, little sugar and cook from scratch most days. In other words I eat a lot of food that is low in calories. So you will not be hungry.
  • james6998
    Options

Noun
    The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms
    noun. proof - testimony - witness - attestation - obviousness
    verb. prove - show - testify - demonstrate - evince - manifest

this is considered testimony or show/demonstrate
    what do you think the purpose of a "study" is honestly.

Besides the fact that it is enough of a concern they do studies, people have testified to seeing the same results of certain, types of foods including processed foods. Simple really, our bodies react to the food we eat. If you put sugar in your gas tank of your vehicle it doesn't work too well. Our bodies work the same way (sugar only as an example not a reference to NOT EATING SUGAR) You are what you eat. Yes I eat whey protein powder, I also drink pasteurized milk. Honestly if I could get a hold of whole raw milk I wouldn't even been consuming the whey protein powder but since its illegal to drink we do have to make certain exceptions to eating "clean" which is really no such thing considering our town water has fluoride in it which our filter can not filter out.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

Noun
    The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms

Besides the fact that it is enough of a concern they do studies, people have testified to seeing the same results of certain, types of foods including processed foods. Simple really, our bodies react to the food we eat. If you put sugar in your gas tank of your vehicle it doesn't work too well. Our bodies work the same way (sugar only as an example not a reference to NOT EATING SUGAR) You are what you eat. Yes I eat whey protein powder, I also drink pasteurized milk. Honestly if I could get a hold of whole raw milk I wouldn't even been consuming the whey protein powder but since its illegal to drink we do have to make certain exceptions to eating "clean" which is really no such thing considering our town water has fluoride in it which our filter can not filter out.

One article summarizing one study does not equal evidence. Sure, the study provided some information, but the study had limitations. (results were from white, middle-aged office workers) Additional studies need to be performed in order to make the strong claim that food eliminates depression or can prevent depression. Again, other lifestyle changes can decrease some symptoms associated with mild forms of depression, but food does not eliminate it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I would imagine numerous changes to lifestyle is what caused the decrease in symptoms of depression. Food cannot eliminate depression.

OP: Set realistic goals, do not be afraid of critical thinking, and go see a doctor for your medical concerns. (psst...I doubt it is the Diet Coke)

Food can eliminate the symptoms of depression if those symptoms are being caused by one's diet... People can have physiological responses to food. Refined sugar gives me heart palpitations and makes my anxiety worse. Eliminating refined sugar does not cure my anxiety, but it definitely helps. Its the same thing with processed foods and depression.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not tracking everything you eat because your diary is really weird.... If your diary is accurate, um, you're not eating enough, and it's pretty unhealthy! You're only eating like 1 serving of vegetables a day, eek- there should be like 7-10! You could have multiple vitamin deficiencies. Iron deficiency alone could cause your symptoms. A multivitamin does NOT make up for a bad diet- isolated vitamins in a pill are not absorbed the same way as vitamins from food- you just pee most of them out. Diet coke seems like the least of your worries, although reducing your intake is a good idea. I don't think it's "poison" though- it's been researched like CRAZY and zero negative effects have been found, except that it's not good for your bones.

"Eyesight dizziness" concerns me, I'm not sure what you mean- please go to the doctor for a full workup, and definitely get your blood sugar checked. -med student
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Oh lord
  • james6998
    Options

Noun
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms

One article summarizing one study does not equal evidence. Sure, the study provided some information, but the study had limitations. (results were from white, middle-aged office workers) Additional studies need to be performed in order to make the strong claim that food eliminates depression or can prevent depression. Again, other lifestyle changes can decrease some symptoms associated with mild forms of depression, but food does not eliminate it.

LoL you can't be wrong can you? Honestly speaking from personal experience is all I really need in my life. People also tell me I am not gaining muscle eating in a deficit although recent tests proved otherwise. It was a fun debate but its now grown very boring.