Starting to eat real food and avoiding all processed

Options

Replies

• tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. It is horrible to lose a parent!

However, I have to ask you where your evidence of we are the "sickest" generation ever comes from? We as a culture are living longer than at any other time in human history with the exception of pre-flood (if you are a bible believer) humans.

I am all for anyone doing whatever they believe is right and if not having diet coke works for her or you, wonderful. I choose to have a diet coke once or twice a week because I like soda and don't want to drink my calories in sugar. With all that said, I do not believe that it is possible to change the pH of the body by drinking a coke. The only way to do that is to either have broken kidneys and lungs so you cannot exchange co2 and bicarb to buffer pH or to drink a couple gallons all at one time and overwhelm the body, dilute the blood and probably die quickly yet very painfully. Otherwise, no matter what you eat or drink, you cannot impact your body's pH
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Diet Rich in Processed Food Linked to Increased Risk for Depression

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711867

You would really think i would post without evidence to support my claim?
    Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.

Dietary pattern and depressive symptoms in middle age

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801825/

Self reported intake and self reported depression? Sounds legit.
    We examined associations between two distinct dietary patterns, whole food (rich in fruit, vegetables and fish) and processed food (rich in processed meat, chocolates, sweet desserts, fried food, refined cereals and high-fat dairy products), and CES–D depression 5 years later in a middle-aged population

1WZ6h.png
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I want to eat real natural unprocessed food from now on.

So no meat from the grocery store? No cooked food? Just start taking raw bites out of passing animals?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are POISON for more reasons than just the fake sweetener. The carbonation in soda creates an acidic environment in the body that causes calcium to leach from your teeth and bones and it also creates an environment that cancer thrives in. I gave up sodas 13 years ago after my dad died of cancer. My brother-in-law was addicted to diet Coke for years until his teeth started cracking and falling apart. That finally convinced him to give it up for good. You're doing the right thing. If you liked Hungry For Change you should also check out Food Matters, Food Inc, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Those documentaries highly motivated me to switch to a whole food, unprocessed, organic, GMO-free diet. We are a nation of overweight, malnourished people who are sicker and more diseased than any generation before us. Big Ag and Big Pharma are largely to blame for this. I'll never go back to eating processed foods again.

I guess I just drank poison with my lunch then ..whoops....dials poison control number and gets on tin foil hat...
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The solution to your health problems may not be that simple, but cutting out processed food is always a good thing!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

So no meat from the grocery store? No cooked food? Just start taking raw bites out of passing animals?
    funny-pictures-running-chicken_zps921b732a.jpg
  • ryandeceptacon
    ryandeceptacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Perhaps everyone who enters this thread should view OP's diary...

/thread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on trying to eat better! There is NO DOWNSIDE to eating healthier.

That said: I agree with others that your diary looks pretty bad, well beyond diet coke bad.

You need to eat more food. Real food. And I'd agree you should consider learning what your TDEE and BMR are and make sure you're eating enough. I don't know enough about you to know if you are eating enough. But I do see that you eat pretty badly.

Best of luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

funny-pictures-running-chicken_zps921b732a.jpg

:laugh: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Dear choco taco,

Today, I found out you weren't real

2j5xhft.jpg

I'll see you in my dreams. ..
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    well, anything is better than what her diary says.

but really, if some food is bothering you just leave it off your diet for a while and see how your body does without it, thats the real test.

hey i can choose to eat anything i want, but some food just doesn't agree with me so i cant eat it. its not that its bad food or "not eating clean".. its that my system doesn't tolerate it. (i'm talking about fast food like Taco Bell);) i have to be careful to not eat too much of that or i get sick.

if diet soda is making her sick then nothing wrong with her leaving it off her food choices, if it makes her feel better, i dont see anything wrong with it for her.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Diet Rich in Processed Food Linked to Increased Risk for Depression

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711867

You would really think i would post without evidence to support my claim?
    Again i said no everyone suffers from the same fate but saying that some food can not be responsible for some reactions is as bad as saying smoking is perfectly fine for your health.

That is not evidence, that is one study.
    Noun
    The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
    Verb
    Be or show evidence of.
    Synonyms
    noun. proof - testimony - witness - attestation - obviousness
    verb. prove - show - testify - demonstrate - evince - manifest

this is considered testimony or show/demonstrate
    what do you think the purpose of a "study" is honestly.

Besides the fact that it is enough of a concern they do studies, people have testified to seeing the same results of certain, types of foods including processed foods. Simple really, our bodies react to the food we eat. If you put sugar in your gas tank of your vehicle it doesn't work too well. Our bodies work the same way (sugar only as an example not a reference to NOT EATING SUGAR) You are what you eat. Yes I eat whey protein powder, I also drink pasteurized milk. Honestly if I could get a hold of whole raw milk I wouldn't even been consuming the whey protein powder but since its illegal to drink we do have to make certain exceptions to eating "clean" which is really no such thing considering our town water has fluoride in it which our filter can not filter out.

If you're interested in raw milk, there's a lot of dairy farms that sell 'cow shares' to get around the law. There's a dairy farm near me that sells their milk to Horizon organics and then they do cow shares on the side for local people (they also make cheese with the raw milk that's really good). They even did an interview on local news a while back and the reporter drank raw milk on tv, so it's a pretty open 'secret' that they're doing this. I know other farms in the area do it too. Raw milk is out there-you just need to ask around/do some looking :)
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

^^^ this made me giggle! I went and started watching that documentary and it scared the crap out of me.... I may never be able to eat again... until dinner time! Don't always believe what ya see or read and go see your doctor... nothing to lose by having a good ol check up!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

but really, if some food is bothering you just leave it off your diet for a while and see how your body does without it, thats the real test.

hey i can choose to eat anything i want, but some food just doesn't agree with me so i cant eat it. its not that its bad food or "not eating clean".. its that my system doesn't tolerate it. (i'm talking about fast food like Taco Bell);) i have to be careful to not eat too much of that or i get sick.

if diet soda is making her sick then nothing wrong with her leaving it off her food choices, if it makes her feel better, i dont see anything wrong with it for her.

I don't think anyone here has told her NOT to quit diet coke. I think the issue is with her logic - she has some potentially serious symptoms that could be caused by something as simple as low blood sugar to something as serious as a heart problem or anything else. Giving up diet coke isn't harmful, but delaying a doctor's visit to "see" if the diet coke is causing her symptoms could very well be.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone here has told her NOT to quit diet coke. I think the issue is with her logic - she has some potentially serious symptoms that could be caused by something as simple as low blood sugar to something as serious as a heart problem or anything else. Giving up diet coke isn't harmful, but delaying a doctor's visit to "see" if the diet coke is causing her symptoms could very well be.

I agree 100%.. she should see a doctor for that. something could be seriously wrong and her body is telling her.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to see a doctor.

You should also take a hard look at how little you are eating and how you don't meet your macros OR calories. I would put money as this being more of an issue then a can of diet coke.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP, you need to see a doctor.

You should also take a hard look at how little you are eating and how you don't meet your macros OR calories. I would put money as this being more of an issue then a can of diet coke.
    Is she drinking "a can" of diet coke? I was unclear on that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Dear choco taco,

Today, I found out you weren't real

2j5xhft.jpg

I'll see you in my dreams. ..
    Grand prize for least helpful post on myfitnesspal for October.
    Best of luck on your CONTINUING journey.
  • npayne90
    npayne90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. For most of them, I understand what are saying especially from my diary. But some days I don't track my food intake, so I do eat alot more than what is there. I do think my nutrition is low, hense WHY I posted this, that I am cutting out empty calories and proccesed stuff for real nutrition. I am not saying that I am now a strict nutrition NO PRCESSED ATALL!! kind of person, somethings (like meat from the supermarket and not moving animals) lol, I will still buy them. I actually had a whole green juice yesterday this morning I woke up full of energy and I have felt the best I have in months. So, I am still going to take diet coke out of my diet along with other sugar. Obviously through weight loss your not going to feel 100% your best all day everyday, because your eating at a deficit. I have seen a doctor recently and there is nothing wrong with me, which besically leaves that down to my diet, I know that I am eating enough, and I am admitting that I have become addicted to diet coke, and its not healthy because of the aspartme. Well, I will see how it works out. God bless.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    check with your doctor.

I had intermittent fuzzy eyesight as well as fatigue that was came on so gradually, I didn't realize it was as bad as it was, till it was as bad as it was :blushing:

It turned out I was hyperglycemic and these were both symptoms that I shouldn't have ignored......

or it could be the diet coke :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Just kiddin'! I doubt it's the diet coke.

edited for typo