Shockingly bad foods

I went to Disney this weekend and after a day of walking around the kids wanted pizza for dinner. Having 2 boys we eat Pizza once a week so I know a slice of pepperoni pizza is in the 300 calorie range depending on what large corporate delivery place we order from and I always work it into my calorie count. There was an UNO pizza close by and there is not one where I live so we headed off to dinner. Burning a ton of calories walking the park all day I calculated in my head that I could splurge and eat 3 slices and be fine. When I got home and fired up MFP to put in my calories I was shocked to find out that each slice was...

OVER 600 CALORIES!!!!

Well I blew my calorie count that day and learned to check foods that are close but unfamiliar to me calorie wise. Went on a nice long run the next day to try and get back on track.

What foods have surprised you with their calorie count?

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Wraps. One of these silly thin thingies is around 200kcals. Without filling.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    theres no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.
  • Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Discovered strawberries are way better and actually have some fiber as well.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 316 Member
    I've been having Fruit and Fibre for breakfast and have replaced it with Shreddies as I found that the Fruit and Fibre is quite high in both sugar AND fat. Whereas the Shreddies aren't. Some is good, but I have enough sugar and fruit in my diet without including it in my cereal.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Way back when I first started paying attention to calorie content muesli hit me for six
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    For me it's the sodium levels that shock me. Due to high bp, I have to watch my number. I have a bad habit of sprinkling a little salt on most everything. I can easily max 5000 miligrams just putting 1/4 tsp on this veggie, that veggie, over a salad, in guacamole, on tomato wedges, etc. Just a sprinkle on that stuff adds up quickly. I can't imagine how much sodium I was eating when I ate processed foods like TV dinners that already had sodium and I added a sprinkle more.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    I could cry at the calories in my favourite garlic and corriander nann bread. I still have it, but probably just a couple of times a month and not 2-3 times a week. I can get so much other food for the same amount of calories, but I won't cut it out all together.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Way back when I first started paying attention to calorie content muesli hit me for six

Museli was one for me too, well I knew it was quite high in calories, but it was the ridiculous small amount I got when I actually weighed it out that surprised me.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Pizza hut chicken wings. 900 cals for 8 of them. Holy crap.
  • TavistockToad
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

pineapple has fibre in....
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    There are these burritos from Santiago's, they aren't that huge (maybe 2 inches around) and all they have in them are chicken and green chili...but 850 cals each! Ugh!
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Pineapple is healthy. Ignore sugar for the most part unless you have a medical reason to eat as little as MFP gives you in a day.
    If you're really bothered then just cut down the pineapple. It's not unhealthy for you though.
  • TavistockToad

Well.....wait........you're right.

:drinker:

(there isnt a smiley eating a bacon sandwich sadly!)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.
  • Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

pineapple has fibre in....

Pineapple has 1 g fiber to 15g sugar. Strawberries have 3g fiber to 7g sugar. It was just a suprise to me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member

Museli was one for me too, well I knew it was quite high in calories, but it was the ridiculous small amount I got when I actually weighed it out that surprised me.

Hahahaaa yep, I used to eat a big bowl full, until I realised that was about 10 servings oops!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

In many cases the salad is actually more ...
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member

Well.....wait........you're right.

:drinker:

(there isnt a smiley eating a bacon sandwich sadly!)

While I agree that there are not necessarialy "bad" foods, I think the point of this thread is foods with suprising nutrition information. The 600 calories per slice pizza isn't bad, but it is unexpected.

No one on this earth can convince me pizza is bad!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Ha ha, musta been deep dish! Yum.

I'm always surprised by the calorie content of burgers at sit down restaurants. They go from 700 to like 1600 depending on where you eat.