Shockingly bad foods

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, musta been deep dish! Yum.

I'm always surprised by the calorie content of burgers at sit down restaurants. They go from 700 to like 1600 depending on where you eat.
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Iced caps. I make them at home all the time, then I had one from Tim Hortons, came home, checked it...it was 600 calories! I didn't expect it to be low cal (it's covered in whipped cream) but I wasn't expecting it to be 6 times my at home total either =p
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I could cry at the calories in my favourite garlic and corriander nann bread. I still have it, but probably just a couple of times a month and not 2-3 times a week. I can get so much other food for the same amount of calories, but I won't cut it out all together.

Might be worth trying to make your own lower-calorie version...?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.

But the proteins!! Venti skinny mocha latte is like 180 calories for 18g of proteins. .. yes plz!! :D
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Virtually everything yummy at starbucks has a wack of sugar and hundreds and hundreds of liquid calories.

But the proteins!! Venti skinny mocha latte is like 180 calories for 18g of proteins. .. yes plz!! :D

Really?! You've made me feel a hell of a lot better about the occasional Starbucks.
  • JakiDee
    JakiDee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    theres no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.
    This!!!!!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Really?! You've made me feel a hell of a lot better about the occasional Starbucks.

Yep! And to me, the skinny versions taste pretty awesome!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Discovered strawberries are way better and actually have some fiber as well.

pineapple has fibre in....

Pineapple has 1 g fiber to 15g sugar. Strawberries have 3g fiber to 7g sugar. It was just a suprise to me.

I would not worry about the sugar content of fruit...as long as you are in calorie deficit you will be fine..
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I had 12 hours of projectile unmentionable discomfort once from some shockingly bad chicken.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    uno pizza is the bomb. YUM.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Granola is shockingly high in calories if you want to eat enough for breakfast to fill you up! One cup is usually over 200 calories, and I can eat 2 cups easily for breakfast.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This wasn't about calories, just portion size. When I first started losing weight, I was shocked that the recommended portion size for pasta was 2 ozs.!

Another one that gets me is yogurt. That stuff can be really calorie heavy if you're not careful.
  • fitpam90x
    fitpam90x Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at the calorie content of nut mixes. I knew nuts were high in calories but as someone who loved to have a handful of nuts on the go, it came as a shock to me how quickly it added up! (it's addicting as well!)

Also bubble tea came as a shock to me, haha!
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

I'm sure I sound stupid, but I really don't understand. Is it the chicken in the salad that's bad? What is it that makes a fast food salad so terrible?
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That "no such thing as bad food" is a terrible cliché. Honestly I understand the sentiment but look at something like Pot Noodle. It's devoid of anything like nutrition and what about the OP's 600 calorie pizza slice. I fail to see a single situation where that would be anything but 'bad food'. It's crazy high calories and even someone that needed a lot of calories like an athlete or competition weight lifter wouldn't want the mass of saturated fat.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    people that get salads at fast food restaurants with chicken or something on them.. just cause its a salad doesn't mean all the crap that is in it isn't the same as a burger.

I'm sure I sound stupid, but I really don't understand. Is it the chicken in the salad that's bad? What is it that makes a fast food salad so terrible?

Generally, it's the dressing.
    The chicken is not usually cooked in a healthy way either but it's the dressing that's high in sugar and fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    theres no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.
    This. Should be retitled "shockingly high calorie foods" instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That "no such thing as bad food" is a terrible cliché. Honestly I understand the sentiment but look at something like Pot Noodle. It's devoid of anything like nutrition and what about the OP's 600 calorie pizza slice. I fail to see a single situation where that would be anything but 'bad food'. It's crazy high calories and even someone that needed a lot of calories like an athlete or competition weight lifter wouldn't want the mass of saturated fat.

It isn't clear at all that saturated fat is a problem for health, beyond being high in calories. I think that the reason for the cliche is that there is a lot of conflicting information, and very few foods that are a direct cause of health problems, if they're eaten in moderation.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My mom baked some "Red Lobster" cheddar biscuits from a mix. They were rather small and didn't seem that awful. I haven't actually eaten at Red Lobster in years so I don't know if they really do taste like the ones in the restaurant. Anyway...I ate 1 1/2 and assumed them to be around 200 cal each, probably a bit closer to 160 was my estimate. Came home and logged it...over 300 calories in one little biscuit. And it was not even that good. I could have had something much more indulgent and yummy :-/
  • puffypants2013
    puffypants2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cashews. 320 calories in 1/4 cup. :cry: