Shockingly bad foods

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of people have been surprised to find out that food actually contains a significant number of calories, which would be a good thing if there wasn't so much of it and it didn't taste so darn good.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Shocked by the calories in nuts. I was probably eating a cup of almonds or pecans per day, and wondered why I wasn't losing weight. When I found out how much a serving size actually was, I was shocked. I guess because nuts are healthy, I really didn't pay attention to how many calories I was eating.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not calories. It's sodium that I'm regularly shocked by. I was inputting my chili recipe to figure out how many calories were in a serving and I'd used cans of both crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. The crushed tomatoes had about 1700mg of sodium in the can whereas the tomato puree had only about 200mg per the entire can. I'd thought it was a mistake and dug the cans out of the garbage to double check.

Yep, apparently, I'll never be using canned crushed tomatoes again! lol
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What kind of cashews are you eating for 320 in .25 cup? Usually there are about 180-200 calories in a quarter cup of cashews.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not calories. It's sodium that I'm regularly shocked by. I was inputting my chili recipe to figure out how many calories were in a serving and I'd used cans of both crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. The crushed tomatoes had about 1700mg of sodium in the can whereas the tomato puree had only about 200mg per the entire can. I'd thought it was a mistake and dug the cans out of the garbage to double check.

Yep, apparently, I'll never be using canned crushed tomatoes again! lol

Unless your doctor has recommended a low sodium diet for you, or you really notice an effect from eating sodium, like a lot of water retention, you probably don't need to worry about it. You can buy canned crushed tomatoes without added salt. (I don't bother, because then I just want to add more salt, and I don't have any reason to avoid salt).
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I haven't been shocked since I was 12 and I rubbed my socks on the carpet to build up static electricity.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    frozen coke ... 341 calories, yes, I have it occasionally, but I want it every day and it is essentially a meal calorie wise :sad:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hollandaise sauce.... with 2 poached eggs on bread .... about 1000 calorie breakfast.... I ate nothing for lunch and very little for dinner. The next time i went to the same restaurant I made sure I didn't order that again.... it was amazingly delicious so hopefully next time I can share 1 of the eggs and eat only 500 ....

Just ask for the hollandaise sauce on the side. It's the sauce that's calorie dense, not the eggs. That way you can have your two yummy eggs with the bread and just lightly dip in the sauce. You'll be surprised by how much sauce you leave behind! Also, they tend to give you less sauce to begin with when you ask for it on the side.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. I grabbed about 6 rings in the chow hall at breakfast, figuring it would be healthy enough. When I entered it in my diary I found those six rings put me over my sugar max for the entire day - over 45 g of sugar in one shot.

Discovered strawberries are way better and actually have some fiber as well.

MFP's sugar guidelines aren't really important, especially if the sugar comes form fruit, veg, or dairy (yes, plain dairy has sugar, lactose, naturally occurring, of course) ...
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My dear and beloved Doners!!!!! I had myself convinced that hey, it's just a tortilla filled with roasted meat and veggies!!! Heck, one thing in the MFP database said one was about 600 cals. I figured that was totally worth it, they are huge! Yeah, after looking around the google world, there is no hard and fast set calories, but they can range anywhere from 1000 to OVER 2000!!! Yeah, and eating just part of one, isn't an option to me ;). Soooo, they went from a once weekly splurge, to a once a month splurge!!!

Except that it's not " just a tortilla ". A standard size corn tortilla has around 50 calories and the flour version has about 100. The flat bread for Doner has at least 300 calories ( but often more ) since it's much bigger and thicker. I make Doner with corn tortillas at home and use Greek yogurt as sauce and they get quite acceptable. But the original.....no matter how delicious, uses up most of my daily calories eating just one.......sighhhhhh.

Oh man, I so know it!! I have never eaten one on the flatbread, I should have specified, I get the Doner Kebab Wraps on the huge tortilla. BUT, those things are huge and most definitely have at least 200 calories in them!! Oh man how I love them!!
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Is a Doner like a gyro? Or a fajita?

So. confused.
    Yes, essentially like a gyro. It is spit roasted meat in a flat bread (though I always get the wraps and they come in a huge tortilla) with lettuce, tomatoe, feta, cucumber, a slaw of sorts and a tzatziki sauce!!! Mmmmmmhhhhhh. I believe, from what I have read, it is the flatbread or wrap, the greasy meat and the cheese (and spicy sauce if you get it) that make it so high calorie!
  • 51tolose
    51tolose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haggis

I love it (from Scotland) but it has a huge amount of calories.

Wine, not that calorific, but in the quantities I drink, it is!
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    theres no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.

This is so, so true!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me it's the sodium levels that shock me. Due to high bp, I have to watch my number. I have a bad habit of sprinkling a little salt on most everything. I can easily max 5000 miligrams just putting 1/4 tsp on this veggie, that veggie, over a salad, in guacamole, on tomato wedges, etc. Just a sprinkle on that stuff adds up quickly. I can't imagine how much sodium I was eating when I ate processed foods like TV dinners that already had sodium and I added a sprinkle more.
    I have both high blood pressure and Type 2 Diabetes, so in my case I have to watch BOTH sodium AND carb intake. I never have eaten this, but Hardee's breakfast burrito has 750 calories, 45 carbs, and 1,640 mg of sodium (that sodium is MORE than I'm allowed for the day).

As for higher carbs, I actually shocked my mother when I showed her just 1/4 cup of medium sized rice noodles (a staple for Vietnamese cooking in soup) has 46 g of carbohydrates. Needless to say she quit eating it because she also has Type 2 Diabetes herself.

It's not just the calories we have to watch out for nowadays.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    theres no such thing as bad food

No matter how many times I see this posted on MFP, it never gets less ridiculous

Understanding comes slowly to some, never to others.

That pizza you keep knocking is reasonably nutritious.
    Whether it fits your calorie strategy is another question.
    pizza-hut-14-pepperoni-pizza-thick-crust-1-slice-85g-dv.png
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    Wraps. One of these silly thin thingies is around 200kcals. Without filling.
    We love the flatout wraps. 90 cals!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Way back when I first started paying attention to calorie content muesli hit me for six

Museli was one for me too, well I knew it was quite high in calories, but it was the ridiculous small amount I got when I actually weighed it out that surprised me.

Yep Museli for me too. OMG.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    The Original Waffle Co waffles. They are smaller than the palm of my hand, and I can easily eat 3 of them. At 370 kcals a pop, I really have to limit myself now. They are too delicious to give up forever. I think that is the only food that I begrudge using up calories on. Good job I eat 2100 not 1200 a day.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bread and butter chips...I assumed they'd be like 2 calories like a dill pickle chip so I loaded them on, then logged it and realized I had eaten like 200 calories unintentionally.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cashews. 320 calories in 1/4 cup. :cry:

Cashews are awesome. They are very nutrient dense!
    Try pistachoes instead.... 3-4 calories each...weird. I know, more work and not as yummy but still a nut!

Ewww Ick!

Those are nasty. I like cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, but pistachios are absolutely disgusting. (Talk about bad food. hahaha)