• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    shockingly bad foods:

- asparagus
    - black licorice
    - brussels sprouts
    - cauliflower

they should all be sent to reform school.

This. But go ahead and add Broccoli to the list too.

Other than black licorice (which I used to love as a child, but have lost my taste for), these are some of my favorite foods.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nuts....any kind of nuts.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    definitely starbucks drinks - the hot cocoa has 460 calories - more calories than most of my meals these days. also, the banana bread has 490. i don't know why i thought it wasn't so bad for you (i've made banana bread and know the amount of butter and sugar that goes into it).
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    My dad bought a bulk frozen pack of Mama's Homestyle Jumbo Raviolis, and without the sauce it turned out just three raviolis, which aren't really that big, packed over 500 calories when I weighed them. Here my parents were, dishing out around sixteen.
    I was also shocked to discover a small slice of Dairy Queen's ice cream cake packed 590 calories.
    Did you know a mini shake from Sonic is about the same number of calories in a large Cookies & Cream shake from Chick-fil-A?
    I refuse to even get myself started on Qdoba.
    Yeah... food has surprised me on numerous occasions.
    It almost doesn't even surprise me why I had weighed so much before I discovered myfitnesspal.
    I'm scared to imagine where I would be at now if I had not found such a wonderful tool.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't know if some added this yet, but...
    margaritas!!
    And the sodium gives me cankles.

Breaks my heart... I love them so much.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    definitely starbucks drinks - the hot cocoa has 460 calories - more calories than most of my meals these days. also, the banana bread has 490. i don't know why i thought it wasn't so bad for you (i've made banana bread and know the amount of butter and sugar that goes into it).

I used to have that for breakfast every single day :( no wonder I'm overweight. I had no idea how many calories were in it... I thought coffee was empty calories (yeah dumb I know, but I was health dumb at the time).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess we're just going to wade into this. There are no bad foods. There are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Many foods have varying levels of these three macro nutrients, as well as any number of sundry micro nutrients. These are available in a wide range of calorie options.

I think it's ridiculous to demonize some food for not being whatever you consider to be an ideal combination of the above factors.

I said good day!

I think it's ridiculous to say there are no bad foods because all foods contain some portion of macronutrients. I also think it's ridiculous to suggest that saying there are bad foods = "demonizing" foods.

Everyone knows that there are foods that are better for us than others. There are foods that we are better off eating, and foods that we'd just as well off if we never ate them. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Good day to you too! :flowerforyou:

Oh, well... if everyone just *knows* then I guess that's sound reasoning. I didn't know it was like that.

What are you even saying? All food is just macro nutrients, micro nutrients, and calories. Am I correct in guessing that you think the axiomatic components of food are different from one variety of food to another? It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of fat in Food A are worse than 6 grams of fat in Food B. Is this accurate? If so, on what basis?

Maybe you subscribe to a school of thought like that, but that's not my way.

Yes, some fats are better than other fats. Fat in avocado is better than fat in partially hydrogenated oil, for example.

... Are you trolling me right now? I'm not talking about different types of fat (trans vs saturated vs etc.) I mean a direct comparison... Let's change the wording so that you can answer it properly.

It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of protein in Food A are worse than 6 grams of protein in Food B.
    It sounds like you would argue that 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food A are worse than 6 grams of carbohydrate in Food B.
    - I feel like I should clarify the carbohydrate statement to say--a direct comparison of the same types of carbohydrates (simple to simple; complex to complex; etc.)

Is this even worth exploring with you, or are you you going to continue to (perhaps deliberately) misinterpret what I'm saying (so that you can say it fits your agenda)?

What it sounds like to you, is not what I said. You are misinterpreting what I said.

Then break it down for me in a logical fashion that doesn't use some form of circuitous bologna. (Not that I'm opposed to bologna; it's delicious.)

Some foods are bad because they contain things, such as trans fats, that can have a negative impact on health. Other things are bad because they provide nothing that provides health benefits. Junk food. Food that is junk. They are not demons. They have no magical powers of evil. They do not jump into our mouths in copious quantities forcing us into obesity. They are simply bad foods that do our bodies no good and should be eaten sparingly or not at all.

We all know what someone means when they say something like "I've been eating too much bad food lately" .

Except they don't. It isn't some foods.

You see, all food without exception contain "thing" that *can* have negative impact on health. As an example, you mentioned avocados - not only are they carriers for molds known to increase the risk of cancer, but also contain Persin, generally not dangerous to humans (but potentially deadly if you have an allergy) can induce tissue necrosis and myocardial infarcts - (and we use plant derivatives in Mexico to treat all sorts of malaises).
    It's all about the big picture and managing reasonable risk. So, yes, while there are certain compounds that you want to avoid or reduce the food in itself isn't generally the issue but the quantity. To much of a good thing or too much of a bad thing will kill.
    Now what is reasonable might be a matter of personal taste and opinion in the face of growing body of knowledge but this constant labeling of food as bad does us a disservice when one of the keys to health is variety to assure micronutrient needs. By focusing on a tree, or a broccoli shrub, you fail to see the forest. A slice of pizza does not "do our bodies no good" as it fulfills a certain number of nutrient needs within the overall picture of reasonable and healthy eating.
    The type of labeling of bad foods and of the subsequent elimination of foods from a regular diet leads to myopic thinking - the same kind that taken to an extreme (not your case, I don't think) leads to nutritional deficiencies and EDs. There is a reasonable middle road that does not require pizza to be considered "bad food".
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In the context of this thread, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the OP meant, "foods that I was shocked to discover are not as well aligned with my fitness goals as I had assumed they were" and call it good.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    In the context of this thread, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the OP meant, "foods that I was shocked to discover are not as well aligned with my fitness goals as I had assumed they were" and call it good.

That's what I would do. There is also a sub-discussion going.
    Like I wrote nuts, in the quantities, I eat are "bad" as I am trying to eat less than 2K cals and can easily eat 5K cals of nuts a day.
  • Shell30Harrison
    Shell30Harrison Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Ditto.

FAJITAS:
    Now I wasn't so silly as to add guacolme or sour cream or cheese, but I didn't realise they were anywhere near as calorific until I logged the ingredients on MFP. I was using tortillas that were 200 cal each, plus oil to cook the chicken and veg. Having 3 fajitas, I was coming in way over 1000 cal for a meal.

I switched to the 100 cal tortillas, and tried using a tiny bit of fry-light oil instead. Wrecked my frying pan, so have now given up fajitas entirely!

PASTA:
    This was the other big shocker - 75g per person is what is recommended on the packet. I think I was using about 100g per person. I now weigh my pasta before cooking, and stick to 50g spaghetti whilst trying to lose weight. I have to weigh it every single time, as it's impossible to control by eye without the portion creeping up and up!
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Chocolate muffins (or any type) are about 400-500 calories each!
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Muesli. I used to eat a huge bowlful every morning with full fat yogurt piled on top and a banana. I still eat smaller portions of it and started making home made to control the calories. I miss my huge bowls of it though!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Cake HAS to be the worst offender, here. Especially deceitful little sponge cakes... they're just so light, you practically have to tie 'em to the damn plate to stop them floating off...

Also bananas.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think some "sporty" energy drinks are overrated. There's one called Lucozade here in the UK that has a lot of carbs and sugar and if you drink it after your average workout, it takes up a good couple hundred calories or so out of an average workout, probably cutting it in half. Just doesn't seem worth drinking unless you have a pro-athlete's regimen and have an endorsement deal!
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Way back when I first started paying attention to calorie content muesli hit me for six

this

realized that only my breakfast with muesli oats n nuts had like 600 cal!!!!! no wonder I gained weight ha
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Cake HAS to be the worst offender, here. Especially deceitful little sponge cakes... they're just so light, you practically have to tie 'em to the damn plate to stop them floating off...

Also bananas.

Bananas?
    A banana has like a 100 calories. How many can you stuff in your mouth?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know if some added this yet, but...
    margaritas!!
    And the sodium gives me cankles.

Breaks my heart... I love them so much.

Oh, yes! This!!
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way back when I first started paying attention to calorie content muesli hit me for six

Museli was one for me too, well I knew it was quite high in calories, but it was the ridiculous small amount I got when I actually weighed it out that surprised me.
    [/quote

me too! i used to just pour some in a bowl (not loads, but a decent amount!). Then when i started weighing the 30g, it was like a mouthful :( Shocked me!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    just thought of another one! Gatorade! Use to drink them all the time, first day I logged in here I put my Gatorade and was shocked at the sugar content! I haven't had one since! I know a lot of you don't watch sugar intake but I have to because when i was big I was borderline diabetic. I know I should have looked at the label but wow that hit me!