Strangers make fun of me when I'm out

Options
This has been bothering me for a little while now so I thought I'd share and see if anyone has any advice, or maybe has experienced the same sort of situations.

First off, maybe its women too, but women have never openly made fun of me, teased me, or otherwise been rude to me for my weight within my hearing range. So, I'd say its mostly men because it's happened a significant number of times and its always been a guy, so far.

I live in a busy and large city, in the downtown area and so it can get crowded on weekends, which is why I typically stay in on weekends. I'm 23 but I've never really like going out anyway. However, one saturday night about a month ago my dog ate my toothbrush (ugh, puppies!) and so I decided to walk on over to the grocery store. Well, while I was in there, there were two men in front of me checking out. After they checked out, they stood in front of the store for a minute or so and then I walked out and began walking towards home. That's when they started following me and going, ''excuse me...sir?'' and, ''you're a large guy, arent you?'' all the while laughing to each other. Then douche bag A says to douche bag B, ''thats the biggest 'thing' i've ever seen. Tell it it looks like a sir'' to which they both laughed some more.

So, I turned around and asked if there was a problem and they laughed and walked away.

I felt so crappy all night, I went home and cried. I'm not a guy, first off, and I didnt think I looked like one. I know they were just being douche bags, but it still hurt a lot and reenforced my idea that going out on weekends is bad.

So, yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, I decided to go buy some socks and I decided walk there since the weather was nice and I figured few people would be out sunday afternoon (usually the quietest day of the week here). Well, i walked out and as I was standing in front of the store texting my friend, I hear some guy across the street say in a voice definitely loud enough to hear, ''AND LOOK AT THAT LARGE WOMAN. WOW. BEHOLD THE SIGHT!'' he called me ''that large woman several times'' and he and his friends laughed and then they goes ''and that concludes the tour of downtown!''

I was so embarrassed and sad that I just quickly walked home crying.

Someone said a few months ago that I would be very pretty if i lost 100 pounds. Unsolicited.

This is really taking its toll on how comfortable I feel leaving the house. I should probably just say, ''forget em!'' but thats much easier said than done. I'm 266 and 5'9 and really, not even close to the largest person I've seen; and even then, I'd never in a million years make fun of someone whos overweight. I used to be thin (140) and I never even thought the cruel things people say to me now, about heavir people I saw back then.

Anyone else ever get rude comments or stares? It's of course not the dominant reaction I receive (most people are decent and pay me no mind) but the few bad apples are spoiling the bunch and making me weary of everyone. =/

Replies

• mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 148lbs. I was never heavy until a few years ago. Hubby and I were walking and talking and 2 gentleman pulled to the side of the road to ask directions. Hubby pulls out his smartphone since directions to where they wanted to go were a little complicated. Black SUV pulls up behind and honks, I gesture that there is plenty of room to go around. More honking, more gesturing. Blondie pokes her head out and honks again, I say "why be so rude, just go around." She says she needs to turn right and again I point out we are NOT blocking this... She finally pulls around only to NOT turn right and park way farther up the street. Couple of days later as I go to my shop to close for the day, one of my employees tells me a note was left, but that it had such bad handwritting and wasn't signed that they threw it out. I pull from trash and can make out only 2 words "fat" and "ugly." Take said note home to hubby who deciphers "I was not the rude one, you were blah, blah, blah, I may be ugly but at least I'm not fat and ugly." WTF? I have no idea who this broad is, but according to another employee some woman had come in asking if I was short w/dark curly hair. She apparently went home and had her 10 year old help her write this hate mail, then dropped it off w/no signature. She tracked me down to leave a hate note and I never called her ugly. Rude yes, I couldn't see her face as it was foggy and drizzling. Some people just have too much time on their hands and too much hate in their hearts.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 148lbs. I was never heavy until a few years ago. Hubby and I were walking and talking and 2 gentleman pulled to the side of the road to ask directions. Hubby pulls out his smartphone since directions to where they wanted to go were a little complicated. Black SUV pulls up behind and honks, I gesture that there is plenty of room to go around. More honking, more gesturing. Blondie pokes her head out and honks again, I say "why be so rude, just go around." She says she needs to turn right and again I point out we are NOT blocking this... She finally pulls around only to NOT turn right and park way farther up the street. Couple of days later as I go to my shop to close for the day, one of my employees tells me a note was left, but that it had such bad handwritting and wasn't signed that they threw it out. I pull from trash and can make out only 2 words "fat" and "ugly." Take said note home to hubby who deciphers "I was not the rude one, you were blah, blah, blah, I may be ugly but at least I'm not fat and ugly." WTF? I have no idea who this broad is, but according to another employee some woman had come in asking if I was short w/dark curly hair. She apparently went home and had her 10 year old help her write this hate mail, then dropped it off w/no signature. She tracked me down to leave a hate note and I never called her ugly. Rude yes, I couldn't see her face as it was foggy and drizzling. Some people just have too much time on their hands and too much hate in their hearts.

Thank you so much for sharing this story, it makes me feel so much better that I'm not just standing out as this huge, unsightly blemish to society. I think you hit it spot on when you said too much time on their hands and hate in their hearts. It makes me sad.

Sorry it turned out that rude woman was also stalkerish.
  • britfit4life
    britfit4life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's horrible what people will do or say to other people. I guess ****ty people have to make themselves feel better by being rude and mean to others. I have been yelled at while riding my bike around, its not fun and its hurts. But I just have to say that I think you are gorgeous! You have amazing beautiful hair and gorgeous eyes! Don't let other people make you feel bad about yourself! (Easier said than done, I know)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you Ali. I'm 5'9" as well and was nearly 300 pounds at my heaviest. I never heard anyone make rude comments throughout most of my heavy years. There was one time, though, when DH and I went out to breakfast with our daughter. DH was also obese. As we were leaving, an elderly woman said under her breath, though we could still hear her, "That little girl has no chance!" I'm sure she meant that because my husband and I were fat that our daughter would be too. That hurt.

We are both thin now, but I still remember how embarrassing and painful that one comment was. People suck, sometimes.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    I guess ****ty people have to make themselves feel better by being rude and mean to others.

This is really what it all boils down to. Happy, content people don't feel the need to belittle others. Their insecurity is showing. Just remind yourself of this next time (hopefully there's not a next time).
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    if you look like a man to some people, i'd hate to think what i appear as to some. You don't look like a male, nor are you "the largest thing ever". What asshats.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is why parents need to step up and teach our kids love and kindness. I challenge my kids every day to look for a way to be kind and then when I pick them up from school I ask what they did. We constantly tell our kids to be kind.

For every mean person, there is 10 nice ones. Feel sorry for them, for their hearts are ugly, I'd much rather be nice, and kind, then thin, and ugly on the inside, they can't be happy, if they have to bring others down to get attention.

Keep your head up, and be confident that YOU are a better person!
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can change the way you look.

They're never going to change their inability to get laid by a sober woman who's worth a *kitten*. Or their inherent swooshbaggery.

I, for one, think you're lovely. :flowerforyou:
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever get rude comments or stares?
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Personally, I turn it around and I use all negative feedback as a source of motivation. Instead of feeling hurt, or angry at others, I get that much more determined to make the changes I need to make.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    It's horrible what people will do or say to other people. I guess ****ty people have to make themselves feel better by being rude and mean to others. I have been yelled at while riding my bike around, its not fun and its hurts. But I just have to say that I think you are gorgeous! You have amazing beautiful hair and gorgeous eyes! Don't let other people make you feel bad about yourself! (Easier said than done, I know)

Thanks so much for the compliments, they made me smile =) And i'm sorry you've been the recipient of others rudeness, I really admire your attitude though (definitely easier said than done, but seeing it as a possibility is still really awesome).
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    For starters I would go with..."Yeah, I am sure you are not used to seeing anything big" from there the possibilities are endless....

btw, the only person that has a right to define you is only YOURSELF!
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Those are horrible things to say to anyone. You are beautiful. I know it is hard but please keep your head up and working towards your goal to a healthier you. Don't isolate yourself inside. Walks are great for your mind and body. Like pp's said- they are just trying to make themselves feel better.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For starters I would go with..."Yeah, I am sure you are not used to seeing anything big" from there the possibilities are endless....

LOVE THIS!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This stuff plays out in our imaginations far too often.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you Ali. I'm 5'9" as well and was nearly 300 pounds at my heaviest. I never heard anyone make rude comments throughout most of my heavy years. There was one time, though, when DH and I went out to breakfast with our daughter. DH was also obese. As we were leaving, an elderly woman said under her breath, though we could still hear her, "That little girl has no chance!" I'm sure she meant that because my husband and I were fat that our daughter would be too. That hurt.

We are both thin now, but I still remember how embarrassing and painful that one comment was. People suck, sometimes.

Being on the taller side yourself maybe you can sympathize with how hard it can be when youre tall and a bit heavy; I've always been jealous of my shorter friends that were also heavy, not to deminish the struggles of shorter people of course, but it seemed they ''stood out'' less since they were of a more average height.

What that woman said to you was so rude and completely uncalled for, people need to learn to mind their own business for one and for two, what a terrible attitude that woman must have had in general.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    <<<Never has had anyone call me fat or make fun of me about my weight. Not since I left grade school and was blessed with a large rack and the ability to beat a biitches *kitten*.
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    I guess ****ty people have to make themselves feel better by being rude and mean to others.

This is really what it all boils down to. Happy, content people don't feel the need to belittle others. Their insecurity is showing. Just remind yourself of this next time (hopefully there's not a next time).

I think you make a good point I didnt consider; perhaps these rude people are just unhappy. It's hard to feel bad for them though, as there's much kinder ways to make yourself feel good. Lets cross our fingers theres no next time!! Right now i'm just dreading the next time I go out to exercise or walk to he store (I've been trying to walk places within about a mile and a half of me more often)
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are a very pretty girl. I can not believe there are sick people out there like that. I have a very bad temper, if I would have heard and or seen that (even tho I don't know you), I would be ALLLL up on their face -- my ghetto side would come out. lol That just pisses me off..
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    This is why parents need to step up and teach our kids love and kindness. I challenge my kids every day to look for a way to be kind and then when I pick them up from school I ask what they did. We constantly tell our kids to be kind.

For every mean person, there is 10 nice ones. Feel sorry for them, for their hearts are ugly, I'd much rather be nice, and kind, then thin, and ugly on the inside, they can't be happy, if they have to bring others down to get attention.

Keep your head up, and be confident that YOU are a better person!

I couldnt agree more! I'd be mortified if my child was as rude to someone as others have been to me so thank you for being such a good parent!!!
  • iluvpeppers
    Options
    You can change the way you look.

They're never going to change their inability to get laid by a sober woman who's worth a *kitten*. Or their inherent swooshbaggery.

I, for one, think you're lovely. :flowerforyou:

Thank you, you're quite lovely yourself :heart:

It's funny you mention sobriety since I'm pretty sure those dudes from a few weeks ago had had a few drinks