Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

After seeing posts from many, many MFPers about how they are reluctant / embarrassed to go out running or go to the gym, I decided to do a little research and see if there were any studies about social stigma and exercise. It ended up being interesting enough that I posted it to Science-Based Running.

I'm posting it here because I figured some MFPers would be interested as well.

Here's a snippet:
Despite the amazing support I received from these communities, I’ve also noticed that many people in similar circumstances are self-conscious about exercising. Locally, I’ve heard from lots of folks who don’t want to join our running group because it is “too intimidating.” On the myfitnesspal message boards, there are dozens of stories every day from overweight / obese people who won’t go outside to run, or who are uncomfortable going to the gym, because they are worried that others will mock them.
Could it be that the same powerful social forces that helped me get in shape are, paradoxically, preventing many others from participating in exercise?

Full article here:

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2013/10/is-stigma-stopping-exercise-in-obese-people/

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    There comes a point in time when people need to get over feeling sorry for themselve/being self concious. I used to be embaressed to run because i SUCKED at running. In gym class when I was 16, we used to have to run a 1/2 mile on the track in 5 min or under as a warm up every other day. I physically could NOT do it. It would take me over 6 min, and I could be HACKING up a long for the rest of the gym class. I was a regular sized person, but I was still SO incredibly embrassed that I couldn't do something as simple as run a 1/2 mile like everyone else in my class.

One day, I just got determined. Feeling excluded from everyone else made me want to work THAT MUCH harder. I had this hidden drive that was built up for year. It was only after 3.5 years of working out shamefully, that I was able to truly accept my body/self.

I went from being UNABLE to run a half mile to being have ran 3 marathons in the past 5 months with a 3:45 PR.

It is all apart of the journey. They will have to get over it eventually. It just takes time..
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Were you ever overweight/obese?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    There comes a point in time when people need to get over feeling sorry for themselve/being self concious....

That is true but I just read a post where someone was there and out walking hit a red light so jogged on the spot to keep their heart rate up...

A Car full of young girls drove by laughed at them and yelled out as they drove away "You're Still FAT!!!!"...

so it isn't always about how you are feeling before you exercise it could be what is happening as you exercise.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    This is just like the sweaty/red face thing that women complain about all the time. Does it look silly, yes, no doubt lol, but only to a point... you're exercising for christsake and anyone who isn't already a **** isn't going to care much if at all about it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    The reason many overweight and obese people are reluctant to exercise is because they lack the energy with the excess weight they are carrying, it is one hell of an effort to "get going" than it is for an average sized person or slim person.

It is not always to do with how they look, but how much energy they have.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Great article!! I would say there is a lot of truth to it from my own experience. I would not have dreamed of ever joining ANYTHING when I was overweight and even now as a normal weight person who doesn't suck at running I am still too intimidated to join a run club for fear that I will be too slow to keep up or the fattest one there.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<FAT and works out like a beast!
  • Never worried once someone would mock me at the gym. Motivation was tough but I made myself do it. I'm still obese but I go to the gym, I do my workouts and if someone wants to make fun of me, f' em. At least I'm doing something about my health, no amount of weights can fix them being an a**hole. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Because some low lifes shout from cars, "You're still fat!"?
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    In my own experience, it's because you're afraid someone will make fun of you.

Sounds pretty lame, I know, but it's true.

The first time I got up enough nerve to go out for a run, someone shouted a rude comment at me out of their passing car.
    I almost turned around and went home. But I didn't!! I'm pretty proud of myself for that.
    I haven't gone back out on my own though. I'll go to the gym and run on the treadmill or whatever, but I'm too embarrassed still to run outside alone.
    I know I should ignore the haters, ignore the hurtful comments, but that's easier said than done.

I am not reluctant to exercise, I just am reluctant to do it outside of the home or gym where mean people can hurt my feelings!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I guess it's good they are looking at this, but the results are in no way surprising.

There was a recent post her on MFP where a woman had just finished running her first 4K and this car of teenage girls pulled over and told her something like "she's still fat."

Exercise is also a stress to the body, as designed, but it's painful when you carry a lot of bulk. In some cases it physically hurts just to walk.

I'm not sure how PE is designed now, but when I went to school it was built around competition. Now for a girl who has a slower muscle response time and will never be at competition with her peers this set it up that PE became the class to ditch and sports to be feared. No one taught that the goal wasnt competition, but it was health.

Years later, I was dating this jerk ex and he was ridiculing this poor woman on some weights because he thought she was too heavy. I pray to this day that woman didnt hear what an azzhole he was, but if she did I can bet she might never come back into that gym.

It was all very intimidating, and I imagine it stops many people from movement. You really have to suck in your pride and say I'm doing this for me. I dont give a F_CK what any idiot has to say to me because my health is the most important thing. This takes the strength of hercules to gather, and if you dont have that inner cheerleader or some shred of self esteem (or lack of dignity as im my case "fat and ugly anyways what's it matter what the say") it's nearly impossible.
  • Keep in mind that the intimidation issue may be more than simply because they're out of shape. Some people have legitimate anxiety issues that compound the problem *cough* me *cough*.

Despite having improved a lot with my running from 3.5 years ago, when I couldn't do 1.5 miles without wretching, I still dont see myself as a "runner" (whatever the specific definition may be). To the point that I've actually not joined the running league at my office, despite being approached several times by people who seem genuinely like they'd like to have me with them.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    It's a little dangerous to make blanket statements... but I can tell you from my personal experiences:

1. People openly make fun of you, make comments about you, and laugh at you.
    2. For some people, it physically hurts
    3. Energy can play a big part
    4. Some people are not educated in the right kinds of workouts to be attempting, and push for things other "normals" can do, get discouraged, and believe they just plain can't.
    5. Heaviness comes with a high propensity for depression.

Most of all, though, those that *I* know, aren't so much reluctant to exercise as they are reluctant to have anyone SEE them exercise. Having to pull your shorts out of your crotch every five steps, jiggling and bouncing around, feeling your jowls shake with each step, and being surrounding by people that don't appear to have any problems doing what they're doing makes you feel like you stick out like a sore thumb.

There's a reason why there are "fat people" gyms now.

Either way, I am far from reluctant, and I weigh 435lbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

That's why I don't exercise out in public anymore. I get kinda sick of hearing insults, laughter, animal noises directed at me.
  • vmclach
    There comes a point in time when people need to get over feeling sorry for themselve/being self concious....

That is true but I just read a post where someone was there and out walking hit a red light so jogged on the spot to keep their heart rate up...

A Car full of young girls drove by laughed at them and yelled out as they drove away "You're Still FAT!!!!"...

so it isn't always about how you are feeling before you exercise it could be what is happening as you exercise.

I've been hit by a car
    followed/circled by a car of 3 men at night
    I also have been yelled at through a window "keep trying-you're abs still suck" as well as several over rude comments that I try not to remember

Just like with anything else in life- you can't let fear or embaressment stop YOU from trying.
  • Just another interesting data point that people may want to hear. It's not necessarily just overweight/obese people that catch flak running outside. As someone who is now in the "normal" BMI range, and is often called "too skinny" by people, I still catch all manner of *kitten* from teenagers driving by. Granted, they may not say some fat-comment, but they still try to come up with something scathing.

In addition, I've actually had half empty (or half full, depending on your outlook :) bottles of soda thrown at me from passing cars.

It's hard not to take it personally, but it's more a reflection on the people doing the taunting, not you.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    As someone who was morbidly obese (BMI >40), I can tell you that all actions of an obese person are judged. It just happens. You're eating the wrong thing, or you should be taking the stairs or you should this of that. But if the obese person is actually doing those things (taking the stairs, eating healthy food, etc.) there's a judgemental mockery with that as well. When it's a physical challenge to walk for 10 whole minutes (regardless of pace), that needs to be celebrated-not judged/mocked. And I know, nobody ever does this judging and people should just suck it up and do their thing, but the whole world isn't perfect like that. And having been a morbidly obese person who started getting healthy a billion times, yeah-the constant judging did take a toll and eventually I believed that it wasn't worth it because I couldn't do it anyway. Kudos to all those who rise above that and remain unaffected by what others think of you.

I started on a TM in my basement. There was no one to come get on a TM next to me and scoff at my pace/time/make nasty comments when I pushed myself to finish walking for 15 whole minutes. The privacy of my own home is the only true judgement-free zone. I was able to celebrate every tiny achievement. I could celebrate being able to walk for 15 minutes at 2.1 instead of 2.0. Because I felt good about that, and completely unjudged, I was encouraged to continue. I run outside now, I will attempt some forms of physical activity in view of others, but it has taken getting to just "out of shape" before I started feeling I had a right to be trying to exercise in public.
  • vmclach

I've been yelled this as well as "fat a**" through a car window on multiple occasions, and I weighed 135 pounds at 5'7" at the time. You're really going to let the "low life" people who yell at you from your car STOP you from achomplishing your goals? Not me.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    I I ever train someone for free I make them commit to 5 weeks of training. That goes along with the article saying that results are what motivate. It works too. People who were reluctant to exercise become exited about it when they make progress.

A real problem is fat people who exercise and continue to over eat. Without proper diet your exercise is nothing more than cardiovascular rather than weight loss inducing. Once a fat person has exercised and seen no scale/visible results, due to no deficit, they lose trust in exercise.
  • vmclach
    It's hard not to take it personally, but it's more a reflection on the people doing the taunting, not you.

People are just jealous. Keep in mind here that NONE of these people hollering at you are actual RUNNERS