Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that I am trying to learn how to repond to response. I wanted to quote __DI__ Selcector.

I agree with you as that being part of it. I know when I was 30 pounds heavier than I am now I would tire easily when I exercised.

haha no probs :D

Just click the "quote" underneath and it will paste into the box you type into x
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Honestly - pain levels. It STILL HURTS me enough that I cry. When people tell me "losing weight should make you feel better" I want to freaking knock them upside their skulls.

It doesn't... it hasn't and in fact has caused MORE pain.

Yes, I have medical conditions that perhaps add to it, but I don't enjoy pain. I live in it 24/7 and have so for the last 2 decades.

So when I hurt BEFORE I think of going to the gym (f - times even walking hurts) I have to try to plan around my constant pain and hope I don't make it worse.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's stigma as much as it is an aversion to pain.

BAM! That's the ticket for me as well--not to mention good ole fashioned slothfulness/laziness habit of mine as well.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, this was the case for me. I was too embarrassed to go to the gym. I wanted a buddy to go walking with me, but since all of my neighbors were too lazy to do it with me, I called my long-distance friend and talked on the phone with him, while walking a mile by myself around my apartment complex. I watched my diet to a tee and just went walking by myself and sometimes I would put my son in the stroller and walk. Once I had got about 10 pounds off my frame, with my starting weight being 238 pounds, I felt comfortable enough to go to the gym. Walking was very uncomfortable as I would get an "itching sensation" in my knees. I do not know if this was due to not having walked in a long time for such a long distance or what, but it made me want to quit walking. After a while, the "itching sensation" went away in my knees, but once I got to the gym, I felt it when I would get on the treadmill and I use to hate it when my knees would rub together, that was very uncomfortable. Overall, exercising was not fun or comfortable until after I had did it for 2 months consistently. I don't know if there is a scientific term for the "itching sensation" that I felt in my knees, maybe it was due to a lack of circulation? Furthermore, I do not know if this is common among obese people when they haven't walked in years for such a long distance.

Just found the below link, I guess this is common when you haven't worked out in a while or at all. It is what made me reluctant to exercise.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902711-itching-feeling-while-jogging
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Thank you!:smile:
    Sorry about that I am trying to learn how to repond to response. I wanted to quote __DI__ Selcector.:blushing:

I agree with you as that being part of it. I know when I was 30 pounds heavier than I am now I would tire easily when I exercised.

haha no probs :D

Just click the "quote" underneath and it will paste into the box you type into x
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    As a morbidly obese person, I exercise occasionally. Here are the things that go through my head when I think about running (keep in mind I have a 5k coming up Nov 2 where I plan to walk fast)

* I am always exhausted, and dieting isn't helping with that. That being said, I can see how incrementally as I lose weight I am getting a smidge more stamina. But yeah, I look forward to the day I don't have to haul an extra 100 pounds around just to exercise. Oh, I cannot wait for this!!
    * I have had some other very obese friends take up running while really heavy, and they ruined their knees and hips. I do not want to get into shape just to fall apart at the end!
    *While bicycling, I have gotten the MOST heckling ever! I don't know if it is because we don't have sidewalks, or if the honks and screams are supposed to be encouragement. I always follow the rules of the road for bicyclists, and it doesn't matter - people really seem to have strong opinions about bikes around here. Which is odd, because we have a huge MS 150 that starts right down the road from our neighborhood.
    * Also, my hubby bought me those silly looking toe shoes that I wore at my last 5k (which I walked at a leisurely pace). They really worked! My feet adapted so much easier to those, no heel problems! I did have some really tired pinky toes at the end. I laughed at that, I guess they never had to keep the weight up on their end before! Get to work pinkies, you are part of my solid ground! I was not prepared for the uber chub rub. I hope *crosses fingers* that the new compression pants will work. I always wear a skirt over any kind of yoga or compression pants as well. No one wants to see this, practically nude.
    *Also, after walking a few miles I noticed that I was getting shin splints AGAIN. So I got some special shin sleeves that work great.

That being said, how many obese people think about their special needs while they exercise? And then buy those things? Plus, buying exercise clothes in my size is practically IMPOSSIBLE. That alone is discouraging. It is as if even the seller of athletic clothes think fat people don't need them. I will try not to dwell on this, because it happened this weekend and I got really angry about it. Thanks for the support fabric industry!!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I think a lot of it is feeling like everyone is judging you. You kinda feel like a novelty or a zoo animal sometimes, you know? There will always be a few people who stare at you or make rude comments about your body. I think it makes a lot of us feel intimidated and unwelcome in gyms or parks or even our own blocks. At a certain point, you just have to decide for yourself whether or not you're going to let those other people stop you. It's really tempting to stay inside and hide away, sometimes. I actually suffer from social anxiety, so I know how hard it is for me to put myself in the public eye on a bike or in a pair of shorts and a tank top. I still do it, though, cause it's worth it for me to get out and feel the sunlight and the breeze. I just remind myself that it's my life and that I have every right to be out there, no matter what anyone else has to say about it.
  • _Rogue
    _Rogue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Because some low lifes shout from cars, "You're still fat!"?

I've been yelled this as well as "fat a**" through a car window on multiple occasions, and I weighed 135 pounds at 5'7" at the time. You're really going to let the "low life" people who yell at you from your car STOP you from achomplishing your goals? Not me.

Good for you...?

You are at that point where you are able to push through that wall. Many still aren't.

I use to make myself physically ill at the thought of going to the gym and I absolutely hate exercising out in public (walking down the road, on trails, whatever) after years of being picked on and such. I've been on both ends of the scale....only 10 lbs to lose and picked on and now morbidly obese. I love myself now and do this for me so I'm able to overcome most of the obstacles of rudeness when they arise but I understand the stiffening fear that happens to others that have not come to that point yet.

Also, you take in the other considerations...the fact it hurts to move when you are so obese among others. People have to get use to the pain and the soreness, their mentality has to learn that the pain equals results. For many it's reversing years of very bad habits and they didn't get where they are overnight so changing won't happen overnight either. It took me a few years to get my head on straight and realize this.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Two of the things that helped me when I started running was the "Hey Fat Girl" write up (http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html) and the discussion about it on myFitnessPal that showed me that every runner of any size and shape can have obnoxious people hassle them when they run. This discussion just happened to start after two teenagers beeped their horn and yelled at me while I was jogging on the sidewalk and they were driving by. I didn't even hear what they said, just yeling that seemed to be directed at me. The concept that you were being yelled at because you were there, running along, and really no other reason was really a revelation and made running in public so much easier. I started to believe that the vast number of people out there weren't thinking negative thoughts about me running and for most people exercising, like in this case, what you believe is true is much more important than the actual truth of what people are thinking.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but before I became active, I was eating mostly crap (I still do on occasion). I would stuff my face with anything that "tasted good" and that resulted in me feeling sluggish.

And when I finally decided to try and work out (in the privacy of my own home) I literally sobbed because of the feeling of embarrassment. It's hard when you have to admit to yourself that you have failed and let yourself get to a point of obesity. So no matter what other people have said ( I still get people yelling at me when I jog), most of the hard part was my own self talk.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    when I first started running I had someone yell something mean at me from their car.

I'm now 50 lbs and quite a few sizes down from that point and I have run on the same trail since it happened.

I won't lie, it made me cry at the time and I was almost too embarrassed to go back, but now that I can run 3 or more miles down that same trail I feel very empowered. unfortunately a lot of people would have given up at that point (****, I would have even last year) and it's no wonder overweight and obese people are reluctant to exercise. of course there's also the physical aspect of it - exercise is not fun when you're out of shape, and even more so when you're carrying extra weight. I will honestly take that pain every day (and believe me, I do!) if it means I don't get made fun of while trying to better myself.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm right on the borderline between obese and overweight. I always go out for my runs when it gets dark because I am so self conscious about the way my body jiggles when I run! I'm always uncomfortable/embarrassed when someone stares at me or honks at me, which happens a lot maybe because this is a college town? I usually feel like any attention I get is condescending, as if they want to say "RUN FAT GIRL RUN!". Sometimes I think people yell something at me, but I always wear my headphones, so I can't hear. When I run after dark, these incidents happen a lot less often. Anyway, I can say that I agree with those who say "just get over it" or "just do it", you can't let fear of judgement keep you on the couch. I jiggle all down the street three or four times a week these days, with a hope of becoming less jiggly in the future.
  • ajmaupin
    Options
    1. People openly make fun of you, make comments about you, and laugh at you.
    2. For some people, it physically hurts
    3. Energy can play a big part
    4. Some people are not educated in the right kinds of workouts to be attempting, and push for things other "normals" can do, get discouraged, and believe they just plain can't.
    5. Heaviness comes with a high propensity for depression.

^This

Anyone who has been really overweight knows how uncomfortable moving is for a period of time. It zaps any energy you have just to move from one place to another. When you don't see results after the pain and fatigue, you get discouraged and go back to those old habits. Plus- have you ever seen workout gear in plus sizes? Its hard to find anywhere other than online, especially sports bras.

Personally, I have been called names, been made animal noises at, been laughed at while at the gym, been told I didn't stand a chance in hell to get a date (i was married, not sure why some stranger randomly said that), that if i dropped 150 lbs then MAYBE i would be pretty. It used to bother me but one day it clicked and it just rolls off my back now. Afterall, I can lose weight, but ***** is forever.
  • marisbowen
    Options
    Personally its the comments in general. I started on a treadmill but noticed that once I hit 1 mile I struggled for 1.5 miles. My goal was always 2 miles no matter how long it took me. But I was quiting before my goal. So I decided to go outside.

Going outside to run was hard for me to get motivated because people are not always rude, they just want to comment. Be it good or bad. When all honesty, I just want to be left alone. I'm minding my business, mind yours. I've been running 2 miles for about 6 weeks. The reason I've stuck to it is because I go at 330 in the morning! LOL Its dark, and less people out. The people who are out at the time of morning are, for the most part, regulars going to work. The comments I recieve:

"Run girl run!"
    "Hey, is everything okay?"
    "Keep it up."
    "You run every morning?"

There was even a guy with his 2 friends who started clapping as I ran by. So far, its been only this handful and every time, I just ignore them and keep going.

I can't imagine if it was later in the morning, more people walking around waiting at bus stops, more people honking at you scaring the bejesus out of you, more people wanting to put in their two cents. Its constantly a fight to ignore them and remind yourself WHY you're doing what you're doing. Sometimes it feels like a fat person exercising is a unicorn farting glitter. You can't help but notice and comment. And we're intensly aware of that.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Well, things I've dealt with.

Hard to move. Lost flexibility, lost strength and the joy of all joys, excess skin that flaps and hits my thighs when I run and jump, all with an audible slapping noise that is BEYOND humiliating.

So, I've worked in the privacy of my own home, plus walked with my mom and it's easier to move, I am more flexible but I still have the skin overhang that slaps when I jump around if I'm wearing the right clothes.

So I get it.

I also realize my health is more important then me being embarrassed. Pushing myself is something I've had to learn. It isn't easy to make a habit out of something you're not use to doing. I know I'm better pushing myself. I feel better. I am better. That said, all this rambling is to say, I totally get the reasons why people don't, I've been there but it is worth it.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WOW could you generalize anymore? I know plenty of skinny people that are too lazy to go jogging what's their reason?. Perhaps, just perhaps, people could just worry about their own body and exercise plan and not about what the next person is or isn't doing.
  • oceanreign
    Options
    From my experience:

1. It hurts. A LOT. I've been exercising regularly for about 2 months and I HURT. I'm just now getting to a point where basic treadmill doesn't have after effects.

2. There are limited options for workout clothing beyond sweats. Seriously. I can find nothing even at wal-mart. And I don't want to spend hundreds for specialized clothing stores when the goal here is to lose weight and not need those huge sizes anymore.

3. Fear. It's scary. And chances are the average obese/overweight person is surrounded by others that are the same. Again, my own expeirience has brought out the WORST in people. Some of my "best" friends say things like "it saddens me that you count calories and have nothing better to do then go to the gym." Yeah. So, you lose a lot because people are really not that supportive when you're moving away from them. It threatens them or something.

Those are my top 3 reasons.
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    for me it was the pain and shortness of breath that made me think exercise was out out of reach for me. when you struggle to get out of the chair or off the couch, walk (limp) to the bathroom and back and feel out of breath by the time you get back to the couch, even the thought of "exercise" seems impossible.

i weighed 398 lbs in january and i hated myself. for me it was the self-defeating inner talk that stopped me. i knew i would fail at it because i failed at everything else. if i couldn't stand up long enough to do the dishes, how could i go do zumba? if i couldn't walk to the mailbox, how could i go walk on a treadmill at a gym?

for me, it took therapy to overcome this self-defeatist attitude. i learned to believe in myself, believe that i was worth taking care of, worth being healthy. once i overcame that obstacle, i haven't had a problem with exercising. i go the gym 3-4 times a week. i'm still fat, but dammit, i'm a lot less fat than i was 9 months ago. and i'll be even less fat in another 9 months.

"believe in yourself and you can do anything"
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've lost 52 lbs so far so I wasn't reluctant to exercise.

Am I embarrased to go to the gym? No, I just hate people and would rather exercise in the comfort of my own home.
  • TaxPrepLiz
    TaxPrepLiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The reason many overweight and obese people are reluctant to exercise is because they lack the energy with the excess weight they are carrying, it is one hell of an effort to "get going" than it is for an average sized person or slim person.

It is not always to do with how they look, but how much energy they have.

^^this!

My bf has a much, much easier time than I do. I almost never feel like I have the energy to get going. Why? Because he is slim and I am obese. Feeling the weight "bounce" on my body as I'm running makes me feel like I'm pulling a car behind me. But you know what, I still go out most nights and run around my neighborhood (and he usually goes with me). Do I worry about what people will think/say to someone my size that is running? Yes, I do. Do I let that stop me? No, I don't. The only thing that matters is that I did it and my friends and family encourage me and are encouraged by me.