Why are overweight / obese people reluctant to exercise?

Options

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Because some low lifes shout from cars, "You're still fat!"?

I've been yelled this as well as "fat a**" through a car window on multiple occasions, and I weighed 135 pounds at 5'7" at the time. You're really going to let the "low life" people who yell at you from your car STOP you from achomplishing your goals? Not me.

I second that.. people just like yelling stuff out of cars.. I get a mixture of praise and hatred. Deal with it or run somewhere more private.
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me it's the looks or the self doubt of knowing I'm the biggest person on the track, gym or whatever. I'm still the biggest person in the gym on most days but as I look around I use it to motivate me.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm reluctant to go running because I hate running! LOL But I'll walk. I just put my iPod on and turn it up - for all I know, people could be yelling rude comments to me out their car windows and I'm completely oblivious!!!

As for the gym, never been a fan of being around the sweat of strangers...I'd rather work out at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Look, we all have our challenges, and I'm not saying that going out in public and exercising can't be a challenge for someone who is obese. I on the other hand am short, and while I don't personally have a problem with it (I really don't, I kinda like it), it's affected me a lot in my daily life with others throughout my life.

Here's the thing though, and it really is the bottom line. I'm not saying that seeing a fat person running doesn't look silly sometimes, but at EXACTLY the same time, I respect the for trying to get fit, and the way it looks is just temporary anyway. Also, you definitely care more about how you look than other people do.

I lift weights, and I can tell you EVERYONE starts with low weight before they start putting up the bar with the big boy plates. Same thing goes for loosing weight. I don't even care if you don't go to the gym, but I just think everyone should get at it and exercise.

Find a way that suits you. Once you actually do it and get in better shape, you won't give a damn about how it felt to get there lol
  • shellygillett
    Options
    I think it's embarrassments, just like I feel in the gym next to the person that is in optimal health. I wish they knew when I see very unhealthy body sizes, I'm glad they are there trying their best to change
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    People are rude.

This doesn't stop me from crushing it at the gym or on my bike, but that is the biggest reason why "fat" people keep to themselves. I was trembling with fear the day I walked into the gym for the first time, at 375 lbs it felt like the place came to a stop and everyone was looking at the fat guy. Now that I am used to being there everyday I understand that no one cares how I look or what I am doing, everyone is worrying about themselves. All of this aside, I have been yelled at on my bike, had an iced coffee thrown at me while riding, laughed at in public and pretty much ridiculed for as far back as I can remember about being fat. So yea, unless you've been there and know what this feels like then you really wont understand.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i am not obese, probably not even overweight anymore either, but i am still reluctant to join a running group. I've ran a half marathon on my own, but what if the group goes just a bit faster than me and i give out in the first mile? what if my running technique sucks? i talked myself into signing up, but already have the jitters - i am only doing it as a motivation to keep running this winter, and not take another 5 month break...

i totally understand people being self conscious. even without negative feedback. heck, i am stubborn enough that negative feedback might actually be an incentive to do more.

in the end we all have to find our way. we all found the motivation to start working to lose weight, rather than keep gaining more. at some point the number on your gps distance tracker might get as important as the number on the scale, and who can stop you then?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Because some low lifes shout from cars, "You're still fat!"?

I've been yelled this as well as "fat a**" through a car window on multiple occasions, and I weighed 135 pounds at 5'7" at the time. You're really going to let the "low life" people who yell at you from your car STOP you from achomplishing your goals? Not me.

For clarifcation it wasn't me...but anyway...

Just because someone is "reluctant" to exercise outside or at a gym or exercise at all doesn't mean they aren't accomplishing their goals...

I am in decent shape and could go to a gym but choose to exercise at home to avoid Nastiness and pervs (and not the good kind of pervs) at our local gym...when I top out my weights at home I will have to suck it up and go anyway (unless my husband buys me plates for Christmas) hehe

And to be quite frank until you are called fat while you are fat you can't really get it I don't think.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I hate that I turn red, sweat like crazy, jiggle when I walk or run, breathe heavy, go slow and generally struggle when I work out BUT......all these things won't stop me from doing what I need to do to get healthy. Who cares about the rude people??? Those people must be ugly inside to be able to make fun of someone who is trying. Their opinions of me don't determine who I am and the potential I have.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

And to be quite frank until you are called fat while you are fat you can't really get it I don't think.

When I was overweight, and people called me fat. I get it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    A-holes are going to shout at you no matter how big you are.
    Yes, they will probably target larger people over more in shape people.

I have been hit by a car, had stuff thrown at me by passing cars, and lots of yelling.
    The best was a bunch of teenagers in a truck with a loud speaker narrating my run, that was pretty damn embarrassing.

It's rough but if you hide "they" win.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    There comes a point in time when people need to get over feeling sorry for themselve/being self concious.

Ummm, easier said than done.

Anyway, if someone is overweight and worried about being made fun of, they should invest in a treadmill, or home work outs on youtube.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    A-holes are going to shout at you no matter how big you are.
    Yes, they will probably target larger people over more in shape people.

I have been hit by a car, had stuff thrown at me by passing cars, and lots of yelling.
    The best was a bunch of teenagers in a truck with a loud speaker narrating my run, that was pretty damn embarrassing.

That's awful :brokenheart:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

If I do it in a way that makes me happy and comfortable and encouraged to keep doing it, I win. If I keep doing it enough to go from morbidly obese to normal sized, I win. I don't have to put up with a holes on the way. And since I crossed into the territory of just plain obese and below, the only comments I get are about my boobs. But regardless, I win because I got here-whether I did it in my basement or as fodder for the local d-bags.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The reason many overweight and obese people are reluctant to exercise is because they lack the energy with the excess weight they are carrying, it is one hell of an effort to "get going" than it is for an average sized person or slim person.

It is not always to do with how they look, but how much energy they have.

Wow...this is one of my reasons/excuses FOR SURE! Thanks for posting this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    38263215_6828_thumb __Di__ Selector

Joined Feb 2013

October 15, 2013 1:41 pm
    The reason many overweight and obese people are reluctant to exercise is because they lack the energy with the excess weight they are carrying, it is one hell of an effort to "get going" than it is for an average sized person or slim person.

It is not always to do with how they look, but how much energy they have.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, the incredibly rude behavior is a demotivator. Sites like this help folks do it in large part because of the support and affirmation you can get. So when you go out to do your thing and you get mean comments, it's bound to play a part in day to day motivation.

I do agree that you should strive to overcome it. But I had a lady at the gym come up to me and ask if I was gaining weight (and I was), and I have to say that I started to want to avoid her, which meant avoiding the gym. I didn't know it would wreck my head at all, but it really was hard to go in and know that folks might come up and talk about my weight going up. I'm not one who got comments by strangers about my weight usually, and it's a bit of a mindf**k for sure.

I think it was because I had no good excuse, not that I owe anyone an excuse. I already felt somewhat guilty about slacking off too much, so it's hard to face rude criticism when your answer is that you just did it 'wrong', yeah. I usually have better excuses, lol.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that I am trying to learn how to repond to response. I wanted to quote __DI__ Selcector.

I agree with you as that being part of it. I know when I was 30 pounds heavier than I am now I would tire easily when I exercised.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's stigma as much as it is an aversion to pain.