Why does Coke Zero make my hungry?

Options
124»

Replies

• njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Needs more food to soak up all the toxins.

This is horse s**t.

The reason it's making you hungry could be anything - it's more than likely just your personal reaction to it. I mean, it's sweet, but has no nutritional value, so your body might just start wanting sugar etc? Either way, I doubt there's a standard scientific explanation for it.

But yeah, everyone on the "ooh it's processed/soda so all the horrid chemicals are gonna make you a fatty fat fat fatty foreva2k14 LOL" train can bite me. It's bull. I drink Pepsi Max, Coke Zero, Diet Coke etc like it's going out of fashion. I am losing. Quit yo jibba jabba.

And Whierd, you might just be hungry. Switch to protein shakes!
  • njbh86
    Options
    I just drank two of them and I'm starving now!!! Does that acid break down the food in my stomach more quickly?

It's because it contains the horrible chemical of death that's a bajillion-bajillion times more harmful than arsenic.

Or, at least, that's what people are going to tell you....

+1
  • njbh86
    Options
    ASPARTAME!!

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Yeeeeeup.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Snark from the Non-Soda Drinkers aside, why don't you try a cup of coffee and a glass of water next time, and just see what effect it has on you? I enjoy the occasional diet sode, but yes, they make me hungry, and trigger cravings for more and for other junk. There's no question that a soda is not healthy. Doesn't mean we don't want one now and again!

I have a diet Dr. Pepper a couple of times a month. It's a treat. But more and more, I'm regretting it! However, I've always been a big water drinker.

Good luck.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Snark from the Non-Soda Drinkers aside, why don't you try a cup of coffee and a glass of water next time, and just see what effect it has on you? I enjoy the occasional diet sode, but yes, they make me hungry, and trigger cravings for more and for other junk. There's no question that a soda is not healthy. Doesn't mean we don't want one now and again!

I have a diet Dr. Pepper a couple of times a month. It's a treat. But more and more, I'm regretting it! However, I've always been a big water drinker.

Good luck.

I drank a cup of coffee in the morning and typically drink a minimum of 2L of water while I am at work.

Also, I ate a pretty hefty sandwich while drinking them, and two hours later I was famished! I had to cook dinner an hour early because of it!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    whatever the reason, you should listen to your body. Coke Zero leaves your feeling hungry soon afterwards, so your body is not happy with that choice. try something else.

Diet Coke is the same reaction. :(
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    whatever the reason, you should listen to your body. Coke Zero leaves your feeling hungry soon afterwards, so your body is not happy with that choice. try something else.

Diet Coke is the same reaction. :(

Damn I was gonna say try 2 diet cokes.
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Drinking soda can make you thirstier after because it has added sodium to it, to make you thirsty so you drink another can!!
    (No joke, check the label...lol)
    Dang, no wonder I'm thirsty after eating a chicken breast. It has more than double the amount of sodium than a diet soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

my soda has 40 mg of sodium, which is what? the same as 1/60th tsp of table salt? :wink:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Drinking soda can make you thirstier after because it has added sodium to it, to make you thirsty so you drink another can!!
    Dang, no wonder I'm thirsty after eating a chicken breast. It has more than double the amount of sodium than a diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member

my soda has 40 mg of sodium, which is what? the same as 1/60th tsp of table salt? :wink:

please. soda is loaded with sodium, that's where they got the name. it's also where the bubbles come from
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot on the news lately about diet sodas and their effect on people who drink them.
    Mehmet Oz, MD Follow
    Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Many people use artificial sweeteners to cut their caloric intake, but the very opposite effect can occur. New research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate taste receptors that sense sweetness in both the esophagus and stomach. Anticipating energy, the pancreas releases insulin, an important hormone for accumulating body fat. At the same time, chemicals are sent to the brain’s satiety center, which becomes confused as to whether or not the body is actually receiving calories. The result? You feel even hungrier and less full, which can lead to weight gain.

More Answers from Mehmet Oz, MD

basically drink water instead

jiyeon-thats-interesting-do-tell-me-more.gif
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    lol @ people! stop feeding the trolls!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Make a roast in the crockpot WITH a can of coke zero.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the artificial sweeteners. Your brain essentially thinks you've eaten but your stomach is empty and your body isn't registering any nutrition.

Why would my brain think I'm eating when I'm drinking something? I don't get hungry when I drink water.

Also why is your stomach empty? Where did all of that soda go?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners will mess with your liver enzymes, potentially leaving you even hungrier after just a short while and causing you to overeat in the end. Coke also contains caffeine, which will have a diuretic effect and make you thirsty sooner or later.
    I've also heard that a lot of people have reported being more thirsty after having soda? Don't know if that is founded though.

Caffeine, except in high doses, is not a diuretic according to the Mayo Clinic.

Those 25mg really had me craving a nice big glass of water. Oh wait there is sodijm in that too, how will I ever stop drinking water!?
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    lol @ people! stop feeding the trolls!

You are a thief of joy. :angry:
  • NovemberJune
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

please. soda is loaded with sodium, that's where they got the name. it's also where the bubbles come from

do you think the labels lie?
  • TheSlorax
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Is this a serious question? The labels are regulated by the fda and we all know what liars they are....
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Umm...the bubbled don't come from sodium. They come from the carbonation. CO2 added to it. http://www.livescience.com/32492-why-does-soda-fizz.html
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Is this a serious question? The labels are regulated by the fda and we all know what liars they are....

You're a special snowflake.