calories in calories out...are you sure?

Options
I've been eating the same calorie amount with little to no change. I lowered my carb intake only by 70...eating the same amount of calories and the scale is moving. All I keep seeing is calories in calories out, I have a feeling it may not be just limited to that. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes it's science. If your not seeing results either your calories are set too high or your eating more than you think
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs only works because it makes you eat more nutrient and calorie dense foods. This means you stay full longer and tend to eat less. But it is still calories in and calories out that affects weight loss. If you cut carbs and eat at a maintenance level instead of a deficit you won't lose. If you don't cut carbs but are super strict about eating at a deficit, you will lose. It really is that simple, barring medical issues.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    a lot of people are not accurate with their logging. if you're not weighing your food, you're probably not accurate. if you are snacking and not logging it, you're definitely not accurate.

if your BMR and TDEE settings are correct and you have established a modest calorie deficit from them, then eating at that level and accurately logging WILL cause you to lose weight*.

* - excluding any considerations for actual medical conditions diagnosed by actual doctors that can affect your metabolism.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I find I overestimated my carbs more...ie I think i ate a serving of cereal at 3/4 cups but really it was 1 cup but I will actually count out almonds. A hard boiled egg is a definite serving while a handful of pretzels is close to one serving. Maybe the protein you are eating are more exact in how they are logged, knowing that no entry is 100% valid, but you were guesstimating more on your carbs???
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes for weight loss it's just taking on slightly less calories than you use. For health and nutrition keep an eye on your macros.

Wait - the scale is moving or not moving? If it isn't, have a little look at your logging, make sure it's precise- or it could be an overestimation of calories used in exercise?
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Ok so its making sense....thank you!

Im just still confused that even when I weigh and measure which im pretty addicted to my scale im losing only when my cards go down and calories are not touched. Hmmmm
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, calories out vs calories in ...I am very sure as I have dropped 40 pounds over the years using this method...

You lost weight by lowering carbs because carbs tend to hold onto more water weight, so when you restrict carbs you lose water weight and are also losing weight due to glycogen stores being depleted. Once you increase carbs a little bit you will gain weight as water weight comes back, and glycogen is replenished...

carbs do not make you fat. Eating over maintenance calories makes you fat...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    low carb diets result in your body burning glycogen to make up the calorie deficit, glycogen is stored along with water, so you see more scale weight loss on a low carb diet, but you're not burning any more actual fat than if you'd been eating the same number of calories but a higher proportion of them coming from carbs

the body burns and stores fat slowly, big gains and losses on the scale in short amounts of time, the weight is not just from fat.

Also, the water weight losses from low carb diets come back when you start eating carbs again, because your body simply stores them as glycogen, along with water. Water weight gains can seriously mess with your head if you don't know what's going on, so it's a good idea to track progress in actual fat loss through other methods, e.g. skinfold caliers, how your clothes fit, circumference measurements etc. These are more reliable indicators of actual fat loss than scale weight alone.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    yes, calories out vs calories in ...I am very sure as I have dropped 40 pounds over the years using this method...

You lost weight by lowering carbs because carbs tend to hold onto more water weight, so when you restrict carbs you lose water weight and are also losing weight due to glycogen stores being depleted. Once you increase carbs a little bit you will gain weight as water weight comes back, and glycogen is replenished...

carbs do not make you fat. Eating over maintenance calories makes you fat...

got it... now that is what I wanted to know!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    low carb diets result in your body burning glycogen to make up the calorie deficit, glycogen is stored along with water, so you see more scale weight loss on a low carb diet, but you're not burning any more actual fat than if you'd been eating the same number of calories but a higher proportion of them coming from carbs

the body burns and stores fat slowly, big gains and losses on the scale in short amounts of time, the weight is not just from fat.

Also, the water weight losses from low carb diets come back when you start eating carbs again, because your body simply stores them as glycogen, along with water. Water weight gains can seriously mess with your head if you don't know what's going on, so it's a good idea to track progress in actual fat loss through other methods, e.g. skinfold caliers, how your clothes fit, circumference measurements etc. These are more reliable indicators of actual fat loss than scale weight alone.

thanks for breaking that down! you and the poster right above you pretty much just answered my question!!!
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It is, unless you've got a metabolic issue. Make sure that you're weighing/measuring your food, logging accurately, and exercising at the right intensity. Do keep in mind that MFP overestimates the calorie burn from a lot of exercises. If you go for a month being honest with yourself and don't see any progress, see a doctor about a possible thyroid or pituitary issue.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I get SO confused with this. So carbs are stored as glycogen & water as food, in the muscles? W hat about when fat is burned, doesn't that get turned into glycogen & water, too? Also - what happens with the water thing when you hit maintenance - do you go up 3lb when you start eating your maintenance calories?

Sorry for the hijack, OP!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I get SO confused with this. So carbs are stored as glycogen & water as food, in the muscles? W hat about when fat is burned, doesn't that get turned into glycogen & water, too? Also - what happens with the water thing when you hit maintenance - do you go up 3lb when you start eating your maintenance calories?

no worries, it's a great question...now you've got me curious about it!!!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    It is, unless you've got a metabolic issue. Make sure that you're weighing/measuring your food, logging accurately, and exercising at the right intensity. Do keep in mind that MFP overestimates the calorie burn from a lot of exercises. If you go for a month being honest with yourself and don't see any progress, see a doctor about a possible thyroid or pituitary issue.

I don't eat all of my exercise calories back b/c some of the calorie burns mfp gives me I know are way to high! I just eat some
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the same calorie amount with little to no change. I lowered my carb intake only by 70...eating the same amount of calories and the scale is moving. All I keep seeing is calories in calories out, I have a feeling it may not be just limited to that. Any thoughts on this?

If you lowered your carb intake by 70
    Is that 70 gr or 70 cal?
    If 70 gr that is 280 calories.

So if total caloric intake stayed the same, where did you make up the 280 calories?
    If protein, well that is 70 gr of protein
    If fat, that is ~31 gr of fat.

Regarding protein, and let me stress this, so I don't get flamed by people on here......this is MY OPINION based on various reading.
    I think the thermic effect of food (TEF) in regards to protein is higher.....so if you were to raise protein levels, while either keeping carbs the same, or lowering the carbs (this would be my recommendation).......that would have an effect on BW. It helps to lower it.
    There was someone by the name of Livesey, who thought that the food energy standard should be re-done for protein...
    Right now carbs and protein both get equated to 1gr == 4 calories.
    He felt that 1gr of protein == 3.2 calories.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11299073
    So if that were correct.
    Then
    100 gr of protein at 4 calories == 400
    100 gr of protein at 3.2 calories == 320
    Difference of 80 calories......

I also saw something in an AARR and I was trying to find it, but I can not locate it......
    But it mentioned the affect of increased protein in regards to carb intake and how that played on BF.

So again, this is my opinion based on reading......so take it as you wish.

But also, make sure you are tracking your food properly......a scale will help make sure you are accurate.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I find I overestimated my carbs more...ie I think i ate a serving of cereal at 3/4 cups but really it was 1 cup but I will actually count out almonds. A hard boiled egg is a definite serving while a handful of pretzels is close to one serving. Maybe the protein you are eating are more exact in how they are logged, knowing that no entry is 100% valid, but you were guesstimating more on your carbs???

I guess I could have been. I will keep a closer eye. I'm still eating the same things and I'm still eating all of my calories each day. the only things i changed was eating less carbs and adding more protein now my scale is moving. it still confuses me how those who are on low carb diets lose so much weight, but other posters say it's just the water.. does my body hold 80 lbs of extra water? but I will make sure my foods are more accurate in portion sizes. Thanks! =)
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options

If you lowered your carb intake by 70
    Is that 70 gr or 70 cal?
    If 70 gr that is 280 calories.

So if total caloric intake stayed the same, where did you make up the 280 calories?
    If protein, well that is 70 gr of protein
    If fat, that is ~31 gr of fat.

Regarding protein, and let me stress this, so I don't get flamed by people on here......this is MY OPINION based on various reading.
    I think the thermic effect of food (TEF) in regards to protein is higher.....so if you were to raise protein levels, while either keeping carbs the same, or lowering the carbs (this would be my recommendation).......that would have an effect on BW. It helps to lower it.
    There was someone by the name of Livesey, who thought that the food energy standard should be re-done for protein...
    Right now carbs and protein both get equated to 1gr == 4 calories.
    He felt that 1gr of protein == 3.2 calories.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11299073
    So if that were correct.
    Then
    100 gr of protein at 4 calories == 400
    100 gr of protein at 3.2 calories == 320
    Difference of 80 calories......

I also saw something in an AARR and I was trying to find it, but I can not locate it......
    But it mentioned the affect of increased protein in regards to carb intake and how that played on BF.

So again, this is my opinion based on reading......so take it as you wish.

But also, make sure you are tracking your food properly......a scale will help make sure you are accurate.

sorry, lowered it by 70 gr.. but i'm still eating all of my calories through cottage cheese, nuts, etc. I increased my protein and fat intake. my calorie intake is still the same. With what you stated that is what I was wondering. I do feel that lowering my carb intake, but not going low carb but keeping the same calorie goal has allowed my scale to move. thank you for all of the information!!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Yes. Most people will gain a couple of pounds when they start eating at maintenance because of water being restored the same way your body weight will fluctuate 5 or 6 pounds in any given day due to normal bodily functions. You just have to remember it's just water weight.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm sure. It's science.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yes, we're sure. 100% absolutely sure.