calories in calories out...are you sure?

Options

Replies

• BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I sometimes wonder about the "science' of weight loss. Seems so simple and yet our bodies are so complicated. I have found that my body lets go of weight more easily if I eat more protein and it is sluggish if my calories are mainly vegetable,salad-type stuff, fruit calories or other carbs, that being said, I also do well eating whole grain pastas...So for me, I think that this is not an exact science as most people here believe. If I had any doubts, I would fool around with the types of food I am eating, not varying the calories per se, but just what type of calories are you consuming.

Please don't flame me. This is my opinion and my experience. I am a successful "loser" having lost 54 pounds and kept it off for almost 6 years with just a few small ups and downs.

congrats to you!!!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think one way to look at that is because you have eliminated a source of glucose from your diet.
    So your body then uses fat and protein to supply glucose in your system.
    So when people ingest those two sources primarily, and stay within their limits......then all the fat is quickly oxidized to support biological functions.....

If you look at people on Paleo I believe, this is what they are doing.
    Dropping most of their carbs, and just going fat/protein.

I encourage you to read Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

and this one he has some links to other articles he has done, I recommend reading those as well.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the same calorie amount with little to no change. I lowered my carb intake only by 70...eating the same amount of calories and the scale is moving. All I keep seeing is calories in calories out, I have a feeling it may not be just limited to that. Any thoughts on this?
    Cutting carbs reduces glycogen and water storage. While low carb has been proven to burn more fat in short term dieting, any reintroduction to them ups weight significantly. If you can't eat 70 grams of carbs a day for life (meaning you want more than that) then don't embark on this type of eating lifestyle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ok so its making sense....thank you!

Im just still confused that even when I weigh and measure which im pretty addicted to my scale im losing only when my cards go down and calories are not touched. Hmmmm

You might have an insulin resistance.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    a lot of people are not accurate with their logging. if you're not weighing your food, you're probably not accurate. if you are snacking and not logging it, you're definitely not accurate.

I agree. Weighing food is key. Eyeballing it does not work, and many people lie to themselves that they are eating less. IMO, when I need to guess, I always overestimate.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The "instant" drop when you lowered your carbs is water.

But keep in mind that "calories out" isn't necessarily constant.
    Your body burns fuel (food, fat, usually some muscle while you're losing weight) for energy. Not just energy for exercise, but energy for everything. For sitting, standing, maintaining your body temperature, thinking, repairing injuries, keeping your heart beating. Everything your body does requires energy. That's why you have to eat.
    So if you're feeling good, sitting up, moving around, etc, you'll probably be burning more calories than if you're feeling crummy and sluggish. (Unless you're feeling crummy and sluggish because you're sick, in which case your body is expending more energy than usual trying to fight off infection.)

"Calories in, Calories out" is technically completely true. But I keep seeing it repeated as a mantra with a strange assumption that "calories out" is something totally consistent and predictable that doesn't depend on anything besides your body weight and exercise level, and isn't affected by any of the specifics of what you eat. Some people are more quickly and dramatically affected by exactly what/when they're eating than others, too. The human body is not simple.

I understand the whole it's just water thing, but what about people who go "low carb" and they lose like 100 lbs.. is that 100 lbs of "just water" b/c I've seen people who eat high calories but low carbs and lose tons of weight. Although it's not what I am trying to do, the whole "it's just water thing" confuses the heck out of me!

No, they lost the weight because their "low carb diet" had them eating at a calorie deficit. No one is saying you cannot lose weight on a low carb diet, you can lose weight eating pretty much anything as long as you are eating less calories than you are using. We're just saying the initial weight loss seen on a low carb diet (and the weight you are seeing go down when you restrict carbs but keep the same calories) is water weight.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    When you go low carb the initial weight lost is water weight. It's why low carb can be very motivational for people who are focused on the scale. However, over longer periods of time, going low carb offers no metabolic advantage to weight loss. People who go low carb and lose 100lbs + over time do so because they're sticking to a diet that provides a caloric deficit.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    low carb diets result in your body burning glycogen to make up the calorie deficit, glycogen is stored along with water, so you see more scale weight loss on a low carb diet, but you're not burning any more actual fat than if you'd been eating the same number of calories but a higher proportion of them coming from carbs

the body burns and stores fat slowly, big gains and losses on the scale in short amounts of time, the weight is not just from fat.

Also, the water weight losses from low carb diets come back when you start eating carbs again, because your body simply stores them as glycogen, along with water. Water weight gains can seriously mess with your head if you don't know what's going on, so it's a good idea to track progress in actual fat loss through other methods, e.g. skinfold caliers, how your clothes fit, circumference measurements etc. These are more reliable indicators of actual fat loss than scale weight alone.

this i love :) and bump to read later
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The fuller explanations are appreciated (especially compared to when folks just say No) but I feel like some of the very knowledgeable folks on here aren't addressing the hormonal possibilities that have been raised. The science is good on that. I'll give more studies if anyone would like :) The review I posted earlier is not bad, though (hint).

It is quite possible that a calorie isn't a calorie, depending on the health of a person's glucose/insulin metabolism. And it does have to do with actual BF%, not just water in that research. The other carb metabolism effects that have been mentioned are interesting for sure, though! So it's harder to tell what is going on in one individual than I might have thought (although I usually go with: too complex; it's hard to be sure ;) ).

For health reasons, let me say though that it is not a bad thing at all to watch foods that spike insulin when feasible. I think that should be a top mantra for any nation seeing increasing rates of diabetes. I don't agree with severe carb restriction, btw, but it looks like it's possibly better to err on that side than the other.

Ironically, all the health news about high fat being bad might have helped lead to more insulin problems. Folks apparently replaced the fat with a lot of high-glycemic carbs! It's so hard to know the perfect diet is all I know for sure :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on any plan, but no, not everyone believes in the "a calorie is a calorie" when it comes to weight loss. It isn't about whether a "calorie is a calorie" in it's uneaten form; indeed the calories in Twinkies are the same as the calories in chicken breast. However what one's body does with those calorie once ingested can make an enormous difference for many people; the 1000 calories of Twinkies vs a 1000 calories of chicken breast will not result in the same level of weight loss for all.

I know. After many, many years of trial and error I know all too well. I've lost on calorie counting/restricting programs. And I did so as a young, active man. They work.

However I also know that I lost more consistently, eating FAR more food, on a HIGH fat, moderate protein, low carb, HIGH calorie diet. And we're not talking the initial water weight that happens in the first few weeks, we're talking months of consistent, steady weight loss eating more food, and tons of healthy FAT. I know because, after awhile, I decided to start weighing and calorie counting while low carbing. I was eating WAY more calories than during my high carb/low fat calorie counting days, was losing more consistently, and at that time doing so while exercising far less.

Calorie counters who swear the body interacts with calories the same, regardless of the source, will say that this isn't possible. They will try and scream that I could eat a 3000 calories of poptarts and it'll have the same weight loss properties as 3000 calories of spinach and salmon. BS. Complete and utter BS. I've got dieting going back to the damn 7th grade to prove this nonsense completely wrong for my body.

But calories do matter. Lower carb/high fat allows me to eat more food, yes, but it doesn't cancel out the science of the calorie completely. I was maintaining my weight loss on a LCHF diet for a year, eating upwards of 3k Kcals, with a very sedentary life there for quite a bit of that year. But that's all that was happening, maintenance. Even when I added in regular exercise I was staying pretty steady. I'd gain when I started adding in too much sugar, too regularly, go back to strict LCHF, lose, and rinse/repeat this cycle.

Ultimately I decided to complete my eating lifestyle but adding IFing. Worked wonders. Allows me to eat in a way that keeps me satisfied, and feeling amazing, while getting the benefits of calorie restriction without counting a single calorie or weighing anything. And it also keeps the weight loss coming even though I've added back in some serious sugar/high carb splurges a few times a month.

Find what works. If you're doing all the "right" things and you're still struggling to lose, despite what anybody here will tell you, find whatever works for you that keeps you looking good, feeling good, and reaching your personal goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The fuller explanations are appreciated (especially compared to when folks just say No) but I feel like some of the very knowledgeable folks on here aren't addressing the hormonal possibilities that have been raised. The science is good on that. I'll give more studies if anyone would like :) The review I posted earlier is not bad, though (hint).

For health reasons, let me say though that it is not a bad thing at all to watch foods that spike insulin when feasible. I think that should be a top mantra for any nation seeing increasing rates of diabetes. I don't agree with severe carb restriction, btw, but it looks like it's possibly better to err on that side than the other.

Ironically, all the health news about high fat being bad might have helped lead to more insulin problems. Folks apparently replaced the fat with a lot of high-glycemic carbs! It's so hard to know the perfect diet is all I know for sure :)

I'm addressing the 3 bolded areas above.
    First, there are some who are affected by the hormonal and or insulin sensitivity but there are the exception not the rule. If that is the case, they should get medical testing and diagnosis and take the appropriate steps, including lower carb intake. But for most, it's a non-issue. If your have designed your eating plan in a sensible way, eg. no higher intake than maintenance calories, .8 to 1 gram of protein to lb of lean body mass, .35 to .4 grams fat per lb of body weight and fill in the rest with carbs, you carb intake will be moderate at worst. This should not lead to any hormonal or insulin sensitivity issues as it is the prolonged over-consumption of carbs that cause these kinds of issues in the context of an unbalanced diet. Or it's genetic predisposition in which case, see the advice to seek medical help above.

Secondly, foods that spike insulin are not the issue. Protein is highly insulinogenic, but we're not worried about that are we? High blood sugar is caused by over-consumption of carbs and lack of enough activity to utilize them. To correct, see eating plan guidelines above and get more exercise. There is no hormonal excuse for overeating a poorly balanced diet and not getting enough activity. We need to stop blaming poor insulin for all our ills. It's just doing it's job shuttling nutrients through our body. It's our job to provide the right nutrients in the appropriate amounts.

Third, you are likely correct about the replacing fats for carbs and it's effect but again, there is no excuse for one not educating themselves and making more intelligent choices.
  • mmapags
    Options

They will try and scream that I could eat a 3000 calories of poptarts and it'll have the same weight loss properties as 3000 calories of spinach and salmon.
    I've been around here for a long time and read a lot of forum posts and threads and as far as I can tell, I never read where anyone made that statement. Ever. I'd check my reading comprehension if I were you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    People with insulin issues are the people with insulin-issue weight gain...

That's backwards - people with weight-gain issues end up with insulin issues. You don't fix the weight issue by working on insulin, you fix the insulin issue by fixing the weight problem.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    They will try and scream that I could eat a 3000 calories of poptarts and it'll have the same weight loss properties as 3000 calories of spinach and salmon.

strawman.jpg

No one ever, ever, ever says that. It's nutrients that matter, and it doesn't matter what foods those nutrients come from. 3000 calories of Pop-Tarts will not have enough protein, nor will it have proper quantities of many vitamins or minerals. Of course, spinach and salmon alone won't have proper amounts of many vitamins and minerals either, but that's a different story.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    What are "weight loss properties"?
  • mmapags
    Options

That's backwards - people with weight-gain issues end up with insulin issues. You don't fix the weight issue by working on insulin, you fix the insulin issue by fixing the weight problem.

ding, ding! We have a winner!!
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

ding, ding! We have a winner!!

It probably sounds backwards because you think one or the other is true as if they were mutually exclusive.

OK, instead of giving another source that folks may or may not use for discussion, let me ask a simple question that isn't covered by genetics or being fat to start with. How about in normal-weight PCOS subjects? Where did the insulin sensitivity come from?

Or normal weight diabetics, of course, for that matter, although I can see that a genetic argument works better there, definitely.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

What?

Yes, excess weight can create insulin issues, but there are many many people who are BORN with insulin issues. I have had hypoglycemia basically all of my life, but I've only been overweight for last 3 years, and my weight gain was not enough to increase my insulin issues to the point of full-blown diabetes or even the clinical definition of "pre diabetes". Type 1 diabetics have a constant battle with insulin that has exactly jack to do with weight. However, insulin issues fall into the category of "medical issues", and every poster I have seen who says a calorie is a calorie gives the caveat of medical exceptions.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ...but there are many many people who are BORN with insulin issues.

Not talking about those folks.
    ...every poster I have seen who says a calorie is a calorie gives the caveat of medical exceptions.

Of course. Goes without saying.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    All I'm really trying to emphasize is that the caveat of medical exceptions probably includes more folks than know it. The diagnosis of PCOS usually takes longer than it should, etc. More folks are going towards diabetes than know it. That sort of thing. It's not going to hurt to watch the high glycemic carbs, so that's always nice to know. There's not exactly a lot of risk involved if someone wants to try it :)