How do YOU see yourself?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS saw myself in the mirror as smaller than what I really was.. Pictures were a rude awakening.. Now at about half way through my weight loss journey, I still see myself as the same size as before, but now that size is BIGGER than my real size.. so when I see pictures of myself now, I think it's just a "great angle" or when I hold up a pair of pants, I'm convinced that they will never fit over my thighs, let alone button... but then I'm shocked when it they do!
  • Busman4570
    Options
    It really does make sense to me as i feel the same when i look at myself an when i go into stores with full length mirrors i look massive so i do know where you are.
    I have now taken to going to the gym and i see these meat heads there and they look you up and down as thou as thou you should not be there. but i am going to do it and i will drop this weight. so don't give up you can do it.

Good luck

Dave
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    in 2001 I was 420, I still wear cloths too big for me
  • actingbrandnew
    Options
    I see myself being overweight but feeling healthy and in shape, and that's were my conflict lies. I finally had to do a reality check when I seen a picture I took not too long ago. That picture motivated me to have my outside match my insides. Right frame of mind just wrong body.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I generally see myself in a mirror. Or pictures.

Me too!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself as obese at all.... that is... UNTIL I see pictures of myself that someone has taken and then posted on facebook for all to see. :cry:

Funny... I don't feel over 200 lbs. When I go walking, and kick into a mild jog... I don't FEEL fat at all. I feel full of energy, and so blessed to be alive. I'm really REALLY glad I don't see myself obese, because I think if I did, I'd hit a mild case of depression and then... I'd be right back to square one... binge eating and trying to eat my problems away.

So... if this sounds dumb, I don't plan on really looking at any more pictures of me until I get under 200 lbs. I really wanna concentrate on losing it, and even though it should motivate me to see me that heavy, it just makes me sad.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" tall and currently weigh 307 lbs. When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see a 307 lb person. I see myself as if I weight a lot less. Not skinny, just not over 300 lbs. Its when I see pictures that I'm like, "WOW! What happened? I don't look like I did in that picture from a few years ago..." I know I'm fat. I don't think I'm skinny, or thin or anything. I'm still very self-conscious about my muffin-top, and my rolls behind my back and my double chin. But my "vision" of myself is about 60 lbs less than who I see in my pictures. Is that weird? Does that make sense?

You will probably gets tons and tons of replies to this post ...
    .... I'm with you .... always surprised when I see a photo or catch an unexpected glimpse in a mirror or window reflection of myself.
    Funny thing is, back half a life-time ago I always saw myself as fat when I wasn't. How did that switch in perception happen? Probably it's part and parcel of the same thing ... we don't 'see' ourselves factually. That's life.
  • Target126
    Target126 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 210lbs & I see myself as an enormous ugly over-inflated balloon, but I thought the same when I weighed 119 most of the way from being 15 to 18 years old. I really hope having been up to 214lbs that when I finally hit my goal of 126lbs - 133lbs I will see the difference, but in all honesty I think I'm still going to hate how I look. I have a photo of me, taken when I was 13, I can't have been more than about 105lbs but I think I look perfect in it, it is the last full body photo taken of me that I actually like.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Even when I wasn't fat I saw myself as fat. -_- Either way I feel like an ugly raging bull.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I see myself as fat
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    wow, had no clue anyone else went through this! OP..glad you started the thread:heart:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Every day is different....Some days I think I don't look as heavy as I am and other days I feel huge! I just try to stay positive and now that I am finally making progress I feel even better about myself because the hard work is paying off!

Me too. Some days I feel like I look good and other days I second guess myself.
  • TheMelephant
    Options
    I think a lot of us were like that. I used to be 165 lbs, and when I looked at myself in the mirror I was like "Okay, I have a big butt and a muffin top, whatever". But it was once I saw how I looked in photos that I realized I was being a little too nice to myself and viewing myself too favorably, lol.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I usually think I look better in the mirror than in pictures, so there must be some distorted thinking going on there.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    Options
    When I was fat I thought I was little curvy, but I still thought I was hot.

After losing 60 pounds I see a fat person in the mirror.

I hate my brain.

^^^ Yup. 67 lbs fewer, and I feel grosser than I did at my highest weight.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. If my self-esteem is high, I see myself as a curvy vixen. If its low, I'm a freaking fat, ugly whale-woman. I think appearance is only a perception, never reality. So I let myself off the hook most of the time.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Not weird or unusual.
    When I was WELL over 300# (weighed 380 at my highest) I did not see my self as super-morbidly obese.
    However, now that I have lost 100# and I am the smallest I have been in almost 25 years - I still see my self as morbidly obese.
    I know I suffer from Body Dysmorphic Syndrome. I will depend on my doctor and husband to honestly tell me when I have lost enough weight. I do not trust myself to know when I have reached a healthy weight. I have never, in almost 50 years, had a normal body weight. I don't know what that is!!

Awee I don't know why this touched my heart!!

Congrats on your weightloss lady!!
This discussion has been closed.