Is it too late?

Options
124»

Replies

• GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    30 years is so young, you have so much living in front of you! Don't give up, even a year can make a huge difference.

3 days ago, someone posted this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1117440-500-days-167-pounds-thanks-mfp

In June of 2012 he weighed 523 pounds. Now, a year and 4 months later, he's lost 167 pounds. That's a loss of just over 2 pounds per week average. And he says:

"I was at a real low point in my life and frankly was running out of reasons not to end it all. Lonely, depressed with little to no hope for happiness, MFP provided me the setup and tools to help completely transform my being. I've still got a ways to go on my journey but confident I've reach my goal."

You can do it, and a year can make a huge difference if you get started!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have nothing more to add to what's already been said, but just want to say that this thread is so full of WIN! :drinker:
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have nothing more to add to what's already been said, but just want to say that this thread is so full of WIN! :drinker:
    Agreed! This entire thread is awesome and so is everyone in it. This one made me teary eyed. Hang in there and keep going!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo not too late. This is what we call a WAKE UP CALL! So listen to your body and wake up man! You can do this and it all starts with signing up with MFP so congrats on taking that first step. If you just start with logging your food diligently, you can be well on you way. Nobody expects you to be running a marathon on a month. This is gonna be a long process but it's gonna be worth it. As you learned in the ER you are healthy and you need to take advantage of this while you still have that health. You are also very young. So add me as a friend and let's get this party started. If you just start with walking twenty minutes a day you will start losing in no time.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It isn't too late! You are a valuable person, no matter what your size. Don't give up on yourself because you are important. Life is a marathon and not a sprint. Start investing in your life.
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    My sister has lost over 100lbs AFTER she signed up for lap band surgery. They made her go to a nutritionist and psychologist for six months before she would be approved for the surgery. Well....she didn't need the surgery! She has about another 100 to lose but she is doing it on her own. She started with cutting back on sugar and carbs and eating more fruits & vegetables. She also started with walking.

You can do this! We all have confidence in you! At 30 you have so much life to live and imagine how wonderful it will be when you lose the weight and you are strong! You will wonderful.

I would suggest maybe getting a few small hand weights and start doing simple things with them - its amazing how fast my muscles (under the fat-LOL) are building. Just a little bit here and there...every day it gets easier. You've got this!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP comes back. I don't think I"ve seen a response from him yet. If you are reading I hope you're thinking on the responses. Great community here :smile:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Bump for inspirational words from some inspirational people. I :heart: MFP.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to apologize; we are all living different, crazy journeys and sharing thoughts, opinions, and support is what we're all here for :) I think you need to think of all the great things that you have and can do. It's never too late to change your lifestyle <3 Whether you end up losing 300lbs, becoming a great athlete, and living life until you've experienced for a century, or whether your journey is stopped short in a few years (As crude as it may sound :/). You choose who you want to be and how you want to live, and it's never too late to enjoy life to the fullest and make positive changes!
    I know what you mean about considering death without being suicidal, and it makes total sense. Just remember that you are here! Believe in a God, an energy, many gods, or nothing... you are HERE and ALIVE! You were given a life! We don't know if we get another one or just die and that's it, but you have it! So choose to live it to the fullest! So I say live <3 Live your life to the fullest and always look at the amazing, beautiful things on this earth and change your life for the better :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You are so young. It is definitely not too late. Yes, it is a big, long-term project for you to get to a healthy weight from where you are, one that could take a few years. BUT. BUT. BUT. It's doable. Take it one step at a time, set smaller goals so that you'll feel a sense of accomplishment along the way.

You are worth it. Do not deprive the world of yourself and what you can contribute. For our sakes.
  • deatharrow
    Options
    I guess this would kind of be repeating what others have said but I'll say it anyway. At your weight, you would lose more than two pounds per week by nature. You are likely to lose 20-30 pounds fairly quickly. 2 pound weekly weight loss is more ideal for people at lower weights. The less fat there is, the slower the body will get rid of it. The opposite is true as well. So, in a year you would not be 400 pounds, you would be even less than that. Something as simple as cutting out sodas have led people to lose 15 pounds just from that alone.
    Don't be discouraged. You certainly still have time to lose weight.. Losing weight can only help your case, it can't hurt you at all. If you lose enough weight to be at 400 pounds, then your body would be a ton healthier than it is at 550. I think what you're worrying about is losing weight fast enough before you do encounter true health problems. Because the doctors have confirmed that you aren't having problems with your heart or lungs, I don't think losing weight, and say, being at 400 pounds during the process, would make your body turn around and start developing diseases because you "aren't losing fast enough". As long as you are consistent, I personally feel that you will be fine.
    However, if you prolong the process or even maybe gain 50 pounds so that you are 600, then it is possible that your body could take a turn for the worst, so it is definitely crucial that while you have the chance now, that you begin leading a healthy lifestyle. I just feel that if you start losing weight now, it could put your body in a safer range and you could stop worrying. and don't worry about not losing fast enough. You will lose alot of weight in the beginning, definitely more than 2 pounds in a week. Losing any kind of fat is only a good thing.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's never too late.... like others have said. I think the biggest thing is that you've reached out and you have taken that first step. It's the hardest thing to do next to forgiving yourself. We can't ever go back and change things but we can try to change our future. It's hard, but I like to tell myself if it was easy that no one would be overweight or out of shape!

Even for someone like me that started at 205 it's come off faster then I expected. I thought that maybe by this point if I didn't cheat I'd only be at 200 if I was lucky. I'm a little under that so just shows that you can't ever really plan out where you'll be. Who knows what a month more in will show... or two... =) We can all do it!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Do not go quietly into that dark night.

Look, you have an army of people backing you up.