Scapegoat of this decade: Sugar.

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    4152147b-aa63-4a92-8183-ca196154718b_zpsf1341642.jpg

http://onlinestatbook.com/2/case_studies/sugar.html

I'm sure somebody is gonna be all "Your online statistics study aide is WRONG, MAN!" But here is a graph of human consumption of sugar, in pounds per year, from the early 1800's to present day.

I like to keep in mind that my digestive system is pretty much identical to a digestive system makin' poops in the 1820's.

Physiologically, it may be possible that putting more and more and more and more of something in (be it alcohol, sugar, fat, protein, or water) starts to throw a few wrenches into the system.

yeah! Its just like the link between climate and pirates that no one believes me about! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE

FE_DA130315pirateclimate.jpg

Also, Mag, keep bein' awesome.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    [graphaboutpirates.gif]

damn it, jof!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I'm sure somebody is gonna be all "Your online statistics study aide is WRONG, MAN!" But here is a graph of human consumption of sugar, in pounds per year, from the early 1800's to present day.

I like to keep in mind that my digestive system is pretty much identical to a digestive system makin' poops in the 1820's.

Physiologically, it may be possible that putting more and more and more and more of something in (be it alcohol, sugar, fat, protein, or water) starts to throw a few wrenches into the system.

yeah! Its just like the link between climate and pirates that no one believes me about! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE

Called it.
  • RunningRichelle
    Options

Called it.

PS your graph has no link to cool grad-level study guides. Get that and I'll give you a gold star.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That's almost as relevant as this one:

ScreenHunter_04+Jan.+07+23.11.jpg
  • RunningRichelle
    Options

I'm not sure I'm convinced that your graph of organic food sales' correlation to autism is relevant to the discussion of sugar consumption. I am, however, pretty convinced that a graph of US sugar consumption over time is relevant to the discussion.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

I'm not sure I'm convinced that your graph of organic food sales' correlation to autism is relevant to the discussion of sugar consumption. I am, however, pretty convinced that a graph of US sugar consumption over time is relevant to the discussion.

And now I am convinced that you cannot tell the difference between correlation and causation :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

The relevance is a faulty interpretation of causation from correlation.

Meanwhile, please stop eating Mexico lemons and save a life...

dxfWK.jpg

Edit: because (graph) size matters.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    And as far as graduate-level research, here an article by the leading expert in paleopiracy

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/piracy-as-a-preventor-of-tropical-cyclones/
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The evidence is clear: No foods are inherently bad.

People with insulin resistance and diabetes may have different experiences. When you've met people with feet missing, eyes that don't work anymore and serious heart problems it does indeed appear that some foods can be bad for you.

But active young healthy people with good insulin sensitivity will probably fit your model.

I see what you're trying to do there, but if properly managed in both of those cases the same model fits. Again, personal responsibility. I know many type-1 and type-2 diabetics that properly manage their conditions and as a result, can eat what they choose.

If they've lost feet, or functions of other organs they have not managed their conditions properly or responsibly. My closest friend has been type-1 for 33 years, the pinnacle of health & he enjoys any and all foods. A very well known, here, type-2 diabetic has managed to lose over 300 lbs while eating what he wants, are two prime examples. As some anecdotal evidence.

<Raises hand!!> I think I know who the well known person is on here your referring too!! ;-)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

People with insulin resistance and diabetes may have different experiences. When you've met people with feet missing, eyes that don't work anymore and serious heart problems it does indeed appear that some foods can be bad for you.

But active young healthy people with good insulin sensitivity will probably fit your model.

I see what you're trying to do there, but if properly managed in both of those cases the same model fits. Again, personal responsibility. I know many type-1 and type-2 diabetics that properly manage their conditions and as a result, can eat what they choose.

If they've lost feet, or functions of other organs they have not managed their conditions properly or responsibly. My closest friend has been type-1 for 33 years, the pinnacle of health & he enjoys any and all foods. A very well known, here, type-2 diabetic has managed to lose over 300 lbs while eating what he wants, are two prime examples. As some anecdotal evidence.

<Raises hand!!> I think I know who the well known person is on here your referring too!! ;-)

Dammit, Ed...

...not everything is about you.

:angry:

Oh, wait...I think you're right. This actually is.

:embarassed:

*ahem*

Sorry about that.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Funny graphs aside; What is this supposed to prove? That we ingest more sugar now? That is all that link and graph shows. It neither states if that is good, bad, or indifferent. Let alone any reason not to.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If sugar were magically made into an impossible molecule and there was no more sugar ever in the world, would there be any impact to the health and/or weight of human beings? I don't know, but I suspect there might be.
    Considering it would make the krebs cycle impossible and mitochondria in your trillions of cells into a big waste of space, yeah I suspect it might have a slight impact...

Glucose is essential for all life in the known universe, so the result would be an extinction of all known life.

Don't they make you learn photosynthesis at your school?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Holy nested quotes batman
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If sugar were magically made into an impossible molecule and there was no more sugar ever in the world, would there be any impact to the health and/or weight of human beings? I don't know, but I suspect there might be.
    Considering it would make the krebs cycle impossible and mitochondria in your trillions of cells into a big waste of space, yeah I suspect it might have a slight impact...

Glucose is essential for all life in the known universe, so the result would be an extinction of all known life.

Acinetobacter would thrive. As would several other non-oxidase bacteria. But hey, carry on.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think sugar CAN have some part in it. My mother was addicted to sugar. I found out when she lost around 20 lbs by cutting out caloric drinks. She used to drink 6 cups of very sweet chocolate milk and now she stopped drinking it, her sugar cravings became a lot less and her taste has improved a 100%. She won't even use sweetener in her tea now because it is too sweet for her.

So is sugar the reason people get overweight? No. But it can sure as hell be an important contributor.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Acinetobacter would thrive. As would several other non-oxidase bacteria. But hey, carry on.

Interesting, I don't know anything about this type of bacteria. Where do they get their energy from?
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Sorry, just not so. My sister was a type 1 Diabetic and ultimately died at age 36 from it. And it wasn't because she did not "manage her condition properly or responsibly." Ugh. I am glad you have a friend with diabetes who is healthy, but you may want to reconsider making statements about diabetes in general in the future.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

It was a hypothetical and the scope was the human body. Sure someone could also ramble on for days about what it would mean if the laws of the universe could be magically changed/suspended, but that wasn't really the point of the question, was it?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In to read later.