Where to get a lot of protein

Options

Replies

• abickford82
    Options
    I'm doing BodyBeast and I have a hard time getting my protein macros. I do lots of protein powders, boneless skinless chicken (I drench mine in hot sauce since I have been eating chicken constantly for a good year now -- almost daily), and hard boiled eggs.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary and tell me what else to add?
    Just NO nut butters, they are nasty in my opinion.

What??
    Read the answers you've gotten.

ETA: We could just eat it for you, too. I mean, since, too hard.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    FAGE GREEK YOGURT!

Breakfast - Egg Whites (6) - 35 grams of protein or more (about 120 calories)

Snack - Eat 2 cups Fage Greek Yogurt (About 260 calories, 42 grams of protein)

Lunch - 7 oz of chicken - (about 240 calories, 45 grams of protein)

Snack - I would say protein powder to be honest...but if you don't want to do that do the fage greek yogurt again ? Maybe Cottage cheese? (1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese is 180 calories + 22 grams of protein) OR Protein Powder ( 240 calories, 42 grams of protein)

Dinner - 6 oz of some type of fish - 200 calories, 40 grams of protein

35 + 42 + 45 + 22 + 40 = 184 grams of Protein :D
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Ok, so I am going to get on p90x nutrition and do some exercises. Phase 1 consists of adjusting daily protein to 50%..

It says 50%...My daily calorie intake is 1500, I put the numbers in and that's what it showed,188g.

???
    :noway:

speak up,lol

You're gonna need to eat more if you are working out!

I'd say you will probably need to be eating closer to 1800 - 2000 calories if you are burning 300-600 calories a workout everyday. REMEMBER! NET! When I lost weight my first time, it's because I was eating a TON all the time. I was NEVER hungry.

The weight literally melted off my body once I changed this part of my diet. I was only eating 1300 calories, netting about 500...I up'ed it so I was technically eating 1,800 calories and my body just melted off the fat :)
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    the cheapest AND EASIEST way is to get whey protein drinks. Normally 60 grams per serving.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My lean protein sources are fish and chicken breast. I also have less lean sources like lamb and beef (depends on the cut but I'm a ribeye kinda girl) and milk and cheese. Quest bars are a nice supplement that add fibre and protein and they're filling so I usually have one of those. I know you want to avoid the powders but the Quest bars have really decent ingredients if you ask me.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    -add egg whites to your eggs

- cottage cheese

- for a sweet snack or for something to keep in your purse, try a protein bar e.g. http://www.naturevalley.com/Snack-Bars/PeanutAlmondAndDarkChocolate

- peameal bacon

- like everyone else says: meat and fish

- you can add skim milk powder and egg whites to some recipes if you are into cooking
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    ETA: People need to stop saying that nuts/nut butters and beans are good sources of protein ... They are sources of protein, yes, but gram for gram, nuts are more of a fat source, and gram for gram, beans are more of a carbohydrate source ...

Thank you! It drives me a little crazy when people bring up beans and nuts as good protein sources. Grilled chicken, shrimp and lean ham all have about 2 calories per gram of protein (2 C/gP). Fat-free greek yogurt has about 6 C/gP. And if you don't eat meat or dairy, you can find tofu that has 7-8 C/gP.

Meanwhile, beans are something like 15 C/gP. And peanut butter comes in at a whopping 25C/gP!

Beans and nut butters are delicious, but as sources of protein, you can do a lot better — particularly if you're trying to lose weight.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    I looked at your diary and have a serious question: What exactly is your definition of "fake" that it applies to whey protein, but not to chewy bars, canned veggies, non-fat yogurt, white sandwich bread, or tuna that ships in a bag and requires no refrigeration?

Again, not being facetious — I'm genuinely curious. :flowerforyou:
  • Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and have a serious question: What exactly is your definition of "fake" that it applies to whey protein, but not to chewy bars, canned veggies, non-fat yogurt, white sandwich bread, or tuna that ships in a bag and requires no refrigeration?

Again, not being facetious — I'm genuinely curious. :flowerforyou:

Protein powder is something I won't try...just yet.
    I'm BIG! I'm 260 pounds about , I am super afraid that if I will add SO much protein I will bulk up under fat and appear even larger..If I eat it from natural sources I can only so much..you understand?
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Powdered egg whites!
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    I'm BIG! I'm 260 pounds about , I am super afraid that if I will add SO much protein I will bulk up under fat and appear even larger..If I eat it from natural sources I can only so much..you understand?

You can't "bulk up" eating at a caloric deficit, especially being a woman. If you can get to your protein goal without whey, then by all means skip it; but if you're having trouble getting there, you should definitely consider it. :smile:
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    Powdered egg whites!

• Foodorlife
    Options

You can't "bulk up" eating at a caloric deficit, especially being a woman. If you can get to your protein goal without whey, then by all means skip it; but if you're having trouble getting there, you should definitely consider it. :smile:

Thank you! :happy:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Curious about Fage - can you get it organically made? also -- is it gluten free?

Ill send a PM in case you done see this

http://gmoinside.org/gmo-yogurt-how-does-your-favorite-brand-stack-up-2/
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I grew up with people saying that protein powders are MSG, they will cause hormonal disbalance, facial hair,cancer etc...

I know, don't laugh at me, it's different mentality :bigsmile:

Give powders a second evaluation, research high quality protein powders, and consider egg white powder. Mix and make smoothies and you'll be into some great tasting supplements that are awesome for you

When you are looking at egg white powder, check out the ingredients, it should be a short list .... like "egg white powder" and NOTHING ELSE (there are flavored varieties that have additional ingredients though)
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    I grew up with people saying that protein powders are MSG, they will cause hormonal disbalance, facial hair,cancer etc...

I know, don't laugh at me, it's different mentality :bigsmile:

Give powders a second evaluation, research high quality protein powders, and consider egg white powder. Mix and make smoothies and you'll be into some great tasting supplements that are awesome for you

When you are looking at egg white powder, check out the ingredients, it should be a short list .... like "egg white powder" and NOTHING ELSE (there are flavored varieties that have additional ingredients though)

Thank you :)
    Which protein powders do you think I should consider?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just wanted to throw in there that you might want to reconsider the protein powders such as egg white powder or 100% whey protein isolate because well, it's egg whites and the protein from milk. You CANNOT bulk from consuming protein alone. Especially women because our testosterone and other hormones are just not designed for it. PLUS, you have to eat at a surplus, not deficit. The best way to explain it to look at low carbers who do programs like Atkins -- the women don't bulk. Same with the folks who go in for bariatric (weight loss) surgery -- they go on a liquid protein diet prior to surgery and the women don't bulk. Heck, even the men don't bulk because they are on a VERY low cal diet with high protein. If you get a good protein product, you can get something that doesn't have a lot of fillers, something that will help you hit your protein needs, and not at a high cost as far as how much a meal or snack would be. Although, I have to say that I think maybe that 50% protein is MUCH too high. Also, if you are 250lbs. and not very active, that program might not be the best way to start out. You might want to lose some more weight and get into a better shape before you jump into such an intense program. As someone else mentioned, that is probably why the 50% protein level is there -- if you were more athletic and had a higher lean muscle mass, you would want that higher protein to retain muscle while you lose. Good luck whatever you choose and hopefully you find what works for you!