Carbs

Options
124»

Replies

• thmgoodw
    Options
    Claims without citing sources are no different than "broscience."

Well here you go....

Studies have shown that a higher fat, lower carb diet have a higher BMR than those on higher carb diets.

Study 1: "Effects of dietary composition on energy expenditure during weight-loss maintenance.", http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22735432

In terms of BMR levels, 60%F/30%P/10%F > 40%C/40%F/20%P > 60%C/20%F/20%P

Study 2: Effects of a low-glycemic load diet on resting energy expenditure and heart disease risk factors during weight loss.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562127

When losing weight, BMR will go down. But, BMR decreases less with a low-glycemic diet than a high carb diet.

So, saying that a "calorie is a calorie" is a half truth. A person on a low carb, high fat diet will naturally burn more calories during the course of a day than someone who consumes more carbs, and thus will be at more of a caloric deficit, and lose more weight.

In addition, I can't speak for others, but I am *much* more full on a higher fat, very low carb diet. I am basically stuffed if I try to consume 1500 calories in a day. Carbs on the other end, I do not get such satiation. I could pretty much consume 3k calories of carbs without getting full. Again, others may be different, but being on a very low carb diet makes it very easy for me to stay in compliance in terms of caloric levels.

**I am not a proponent of a certain macronutrient nutritional plan, but I do think that there are benefits of a keto diet for some people.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict carbs per se, but it seems like foods with a lot of carbs (especially processed foods) also have a lot of calories. So when it comes time make choices, I often pick the less carby foods (like, you can eat several cups of strawberries for the same carbs as one cookie.)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict carbs per se, but it seems like foods with a lot of carbs (especially processed foods) also have a lot of calories. So when it comes time make choices, I often pick the less carby foods (like, you can eat several cups of strawberries for the same carbs as one cookie.)

<~~~~~~~~~would take the cookie! :)
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on how I eat / use carbs:

1. i eat brown rice, brown rice pasta, sweet potato and ezekiel bread for carbs
    2. i eat more carbs on heavier lifting days (ie. leg day) and less on days I do cardio/upper body
    3. i eat my carbs closer to my workout and earlier in the day usually
    4. carbs are fuel. i need carbs especially on leg days!
    5. i don't eat carbs with lots of protein (ie i dont pair chicken with sweet pototoes). i have read many articles which advice to wait an hour in between, but more research to come on that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well here you go....

Studies have shown that a higher fat, lower carb diet have a higher BMR than those on higher carb diets.

Study 1: "Effects of dietary composition on energy expenditure during weight-loss maintenance.", http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22735432

Study 2: Effects of a low-glycemic load diet on resting energy expenditure and heart disease risk factors during weight loss.

When losing weight, BMR will go down. But, BMR decreases less with a low-glycemic diet than a high carb diet.

So, saying that a "calorie is a calorie" is a half truth. A person on a low carb, high fat diet will naturally burn more calories during the course of a day than someone who consumes more carbs, and thus will be at more of a caloric deficit, and lose more weight.

In addition, I can't speak for others, but I am *much* more full on a higher fat, very low carb diet. I am basically stuffed if I try to consume 1500 calories in a day. Carbs on the other end, I do not get such satiation. I could pretty much consume 3k calories of carbs without getting full. Again, others may be different, but being on a very low carb diet makes it very easy for me to stay in compliance in terms of caloric levels.

**I am not a proponent of a certain macronutrient nutritional plan, but I do think that there are benefits of a keto diet for some people.

Lol, trying to push the metabolic advantage theory? Next look at studies that tightly control cals and match protein intakes.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    If you guise don't want the Pop Tarts I'll take them. No need to argue.
  • thmgoodw
    Options

Well here you go....

Lol, trying to push the metabolic advantage theory? Next look at studies that tightly control cals and match protein intakes.

The first study above controlled for calories. #justsayin
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options

<~~~~~~~~~would take the cookie! :)

Which is fine, as long as it is within your calorie budget. You make informed choices; that's the point.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Under 20g of net carbs per day, down 21 lbs.

I honestly don't know how you eat that little carbs, I have 2 cups of coffee with my milk and sugar and i'm already on 24g of carbs.

It's not that hard. At least not for me. I still have coffee, but I have it with splenda, one tablespoon of heavy cream and one tablespoon of bailey's red velvet cake creamer. Yum! Cuts the carbs down and tastes good.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Well here you go....

The first study above controlled for calories. #justsayin
    1. The first study also had a sample size of 21 people. Relatively useless to extrapolate out to an entire population.

2. It didn't match protein intakes.

3. It doesn't state anywhere that it controlled for calories, just gave macro breakdowns.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    null_zpsc6793b79.jpg~320x480?t=1382496499
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    null_zpsc6793b79.jpg~320x480?t=1382496499

might as well drink straight cyanide. all of them carbs
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    might as well drink straight cyanide. all of them carbs

Dem pre-bedtime carbz provide me with the energy to sleep.
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I learned that it's better to just have carbs, just don't overload yourself on it.
    When I tried to avoid bread, I would always get these cravings. TRUST ME, you'll be doing yourself a big favor by not avoiding it. I lasted half a year until I went back and I'm glad I did because you really need carbs in your diet.

Don't go for the white bread or cupcakes all the time; I like to get Ezekiel low sodium bread because it's super filling. :)
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone :) is everyone still eating there carbs and loosing weight?

yes, about 50-60% of my food intake is comprised of carbs. i have lost in the region of about 20lbs in 4 months.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Good morning everyone :) is everyone still eating there carbs and loosing weight?

yes, about 50-60% of my food intake is comprised of carbs. i have lost in the region of about 20lbs in 4 months.

My ratio! Crushing carbzzzzzz. Congrats on the fat loss.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes love carbs, however I'm CKD and I consume under 30g for 6 days and I carb up for a 36 hrs :) Love the results, works great for me and I'm down 8lbs in 5 weeks.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Yes love carbs, however I'm CKD and I consume under 30g for 6 days and I carb up for a 36 hrs :) Love the results, works great for me and I'm down 8lbs in 5 weeks.

Do you carb up before dialysis?
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    HA