To the mean people of MFP... You can say "I told you so"

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Well I am trying to "up" my calories to be around 1450 (have some trouble the past few weeks being consistent) .

I guess I'm reluctant to fully commit because I usually only see people who claim success with this method after 3 or 4 weeks but I never see posts from people who have had long term success with this ( 30 or more lbs or more than a yr).

I've lost 44 lbs in about 8 months or so.
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great job and thank you for referencing the OP :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Awesome - I started following the road map in July 2012. I had 3 months of eating below 1200 calories and starving. When I upped calories - I did it by 100 a week. I was terrified. I'm so glad that I did. Now I'm eating around 1800 calories a day and feel fantastic.

Congrats OP!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    OP...High five! Awesome job!

tumblr_m75r2r799m1qguiwb.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This actually doesn't add up... perhaps you weren't logging accurately before or you're exercising more now?

The 'eat more' message is more for those people who are attempting around 1200 calories a day and keep falling off the wagon and binging, because it's too great a deficit for them.

But I'm happy for you! If it works - keep it up. :smile:

It does add up. The eat more isn't just for anyone only eating 1200 calories (though the OP did state she was eating about 1200-1500 calories...)...The eat more is for ANYONE not eating what their body needs in order to fuel their workouts.

How does it add up exactly? A deficit is needed for weight loss. If the OP did not have a deficit at 1200 - 1500 then how does she have a deficit at 2300 calories?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wish I had the balls to do this. I'm just never sure of my numbers.. Lol!
    Yeah. 2,300 calories is a lot! Plus, the amount of food that I would have to eat...I wouldn't be able to.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    If you aren't giving your body what it needs to function then it will hold onto what it has halting weight loss. If you give it what it needs and continue working out you'll still actually be at a deficit and be able to lose weight. Oh my. I know it doesn't seem logical when all you hear is to lose weight you have to eat less and move move, but really, you still need to eat more and give your body the proper fuel to function.

If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net. 1200 - 500 = 700. 700 is not enough fuel for the body to continue to function properly.

But if someone is eating 1900 calories a day and burning 500 they are eating what they need for their body to function and are at a deficit. 1900 - 500 = 1400. Less than what they ate = deficit.

She is obviously at a deficit or how would she be losing weight...so yeah it does add up.
  • geminijo04
    Options
    Yeah. 2,300 calories is a lot! Plus, the amount of food that I would have to eat...I wouldn't be able to.

I tried bumping up my calorie intake to over 2000 and ended up gaining weight, doing the same amount of exercise.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I can't respond for the OP - only for myself. In my case I WAS at a deficit at 1200 and below (of course). I wanted to lift weights and I really wanted to run. After 3 months eating this low, I could not do it anymore. I was hungry all the time and had no energy to exercise at all.

Upping my calories slowly, allowed me to see over time, how high I could go before I maintained. It took me about 6 weeks to see that even at 1800 I was still losing. I had a lot of weight to lose and I knew there was no way I could cut from 1200 calories. It's a slow process and I'm sure I would have lost like crazy at 1200 calories, but on top of everything else - my hair was starting to fall out too.

The thing is I didn't have to. I am able to lose at 1800, lift heavy weights 3x a week & run a couple of days. This is my experience. I can not speak for anyone else - except to say that you should try it. Our bodies were not made to run on 1200 calories.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

It may be a lot for you, but not for the OP. Each person has different needs.
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think to each his own what works for one might not work for the next.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If you aren't giving your body what it needs to function then it will hold onto what it has halting weight loss. If you give it what it needs and continue working out you'll still actually be at a deficit and be able to lose weight. Oh my. I know it doesn't seem logical when all you hear is to lose weight you have to eat less and move move, but really, you still need to eat more and give your body the proper fuel to function.

If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net. 1200 - 500 = 700. 700 is not enough fuel for the body to continue to function properly.

But if someone is eating 1900 calories a day and burning 500 they are eating what they need for their body to function and are at a deficit. 1900 - 500 = 1400. Less than what they ate = deficit.

She is obviously at a deficit or how would she be losing weight...so yeah it does add up.

1500 = no deficit. One week later 2300 = deficit. That math doesn't work.

Our bodies can't hold onto fat while we eat a calorie deficit. If one eats a very low calorie diet for a prolonged period of time, it is possible that their BMR would lower to the point that what was once was a deficit is no longer a deficit. Eating more can correct this. BUT it will not correct in 1 week. There will be an initial weight gain.

It's more likely that either the OP is actually creating a bigger deficit through exercise, or she was under-estimating her calories before she upped them.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This actually doesn't add up... perhaps you weren't logging accurately before or you're exercising more now?

The 'eat more' message is more for those people who are attempting around 1200 calories a day and keep falling off the wagon and binging, because it's too great a deficit for them.

But I'm happy for you! If it works - keep it up. :smile:

It does add up. The eat more isn't just for anyone only eating 1200 calories (though the OP did state she was eating about 1200-1500 calories...)...The eat more is for ANYONE not eating what their body needs in order to fuel their workouts.

How does it add up exactly? A deficit is needed for weight loss. If the OP did not have a deficit at 1200 - 1500 then how does she have a deficit at 2300 calories?

It doesn't make logical sense to me either, but here's what happed to me.

Around 10 years ago, I had 15 pounds to lose. I'm 5'11" and was trying to get from the 170s into the 150s. I was "eating right", eating 1100-1300 calories per day and exercising 5 days a week. I did weigh and measure my food and write down what I ate. I didn't need MFP to teach me that. :) Three months in, the scale had not moved and my clothes were not getting looser.

At that point, I knew nothing about calorie deficits, TDEE, BMR and what have you, but I concluded that I wasn't eating nearly enough calories for a person my size, as I had heard that eating too few calories could be counterproductive. I started eating full fat (or reduced fat if I found it too rich) versions of the foods I was already eating, ate a little more as far as portions, and upped my calories to 1800 a day. And honestly, the 1800 was an arbitrary number that I picked. I did not change up my exercise at all. After three weeks, 10 pounds came off in a whoosh.

I could not believe it. One week my jeans were fitting and the next week, they were extremely loose. I weighed myself, saw the 10 pound loss and got on and off the scale a few more times because I could not believe the number was real. Obviously, I was in a deficit at 1100-1200 calories, but my body didn't let go of weight until I decreased that deficit.

I know that my experience is anecdotal, but it happened. I just don't know the whys or wherefores.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Our bodies can't hold onto fat while we eat a calorie deficit. If one eats a very low calorie diet for a prolonged period of time, it is possible that their BMR would lower to the point that what was once was a deficit is no longer a deficit. Eating more can correct this. BUT it will not correct in 1 week. There will be an initial weight gain.

It's more likely that either the OP is actually creating a bigger deficit through exercise, or she was under-estimating her calories before she upped them.

She was eating LESS than what her body needs to function. She was eating 1200-1500 a day AND STILL WORKING OUT CREATING A DEFICIT but her body needed more fuel than what she was giving it so it held on to everything it had instead of losing weight.

It's simple math. 1500-500 = 1000 or 1200-500 = 700. Your body needs at least 1200 calories just to function.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been at my weight loss journey for 3 months tomorrow and I have lost 18 lbs. I started out eating between 1200-1500 calories a day and exercising regularly... but just recently I quit losing weight and to top it off I was hungry all the time! I asked myself how am I going to eat less than 1200 calories if I am as hungry as I am now! The answer: Don't! ....EAT MORE!

I got on here looking for answers and I didn't like that people were telling me that I wasn't eating enough... I was actually extremely defensive about it. How dare they tell me I am not eating enough when I have lost all the weight I have so far! Then someone directed me to this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I am now eating 2300 calories a day and exercising regularly and back to losing 1lb a week! The best part is... I am full! Yay! No more hunger! Thanks for the read! I hope this helps at least one person out there!

I know, meanies we,all are! :bigsmile:

Congratulations on your success.
  • bcattoes
    Options

She was eating LESS than what her body needs to function. She was eating 1200-1500 a day AND STILL WORKING OUT CREATING A DEFICIT but her body needed more fuel than what she was giving it so it held on to everything it had instead of losing weight.

It's simple math. 1500-500 = 1000 or 1200-500 = 700. Your body needs at least 1200 calories just to function.

So, you are suggesting that we don't lose weight on deficit, if the deficit is too large?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am now eating 2300 calories a day and exercising regularly and back to losing 1lb a week! The best part is... I am full! Yay! No more hunger! Thanks for the read! I hope this helps at least one person out there!

OP, how many calories were you burning through exercise before and how many do you burn now?

Congrats on your success, btw. I am just trying to figure out what worked.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

So, you are suggesting that we don't lose weight on deficit, if the deficit is too large?

NO. What I am saying is that if you eat below what your body needs to function then you won't lose weight. You may at first but it will stop.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can't respond for the OP - only for myself. In my case I WAS at a deficit at 1200 and below (of course). I wanted to lift weights and I really wanted to run. After 3 months eating this low, I could not do it anymore. I was hungry all the time and had no energy to exercise at all.

Upping my calories slowly, allowed me to see over time, how high I could go before I maintained. It took me about 6 weeks to see that even at 1800 I was still losing. I had a lot of weight to lose and I knew there was no way I could cut from 1200 calories. It's a slow process and I'm sure I would have lost like crazy at 1200 calories, but on top of everything else - my hair was starting to fall out too.

The thing is I didn't have to. I am able to lose at 1800, lift heavy weights 3x a week & run a couple of days. This is my experience. I can not speak for anyone else - except to say that you should try it. Our bodies were not made to run on 1200 calories.

Were you eating exercise calories back, when you were at 1,200 calories?
  • bcattoes
    Options

NO. What I am saying is that if you eat below what your body needs to function then you won't lose weight. You may at first but it will stop.

Why would it stop if I am in a deficit?