To the mean people of MFP... You can say "I told you so"

Options

Replies

• CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Who cares if the math adds up or not?? That is not the point.... the point is that some people just don't eat enough. I was told by my dietitian that if your body goes into starvation mode it will hold onto everything for dear life... literally.

The point of this was not to flash my success either.... but thank you for all of the props everyone!!!!!! The point is that some people just don't not eat enough.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Who cares if the math adds up or not?? That is not the point.... the point is that some people just don't eat enough. I was told by my dietitian that if your body goes into starvation mode it will hold onto everything for dear life... literally.

The point of this was not to flash my success either.... but thank you for all of the props everyone!!!!!! The point is that some people just don't not eat enough.

Everyone's body and lifestyle is different and the amount of calories that your body needs is different for everyone. I think people just need to do a little more research before they start eating 1200 calories a day.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Rock on! Keep up the great work!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hooray! :drinker:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

"Starvation mode". LOL. :laugh:

Funny thing about starvation mode: It only happens to people who are literally starving. Another funny thing about people who are starving: They lose dramatic amounts of weight. So yeah, Average Gal With Overweight BMI? She's not in "starvation mode". :bigsmile:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    yes_yes_yes_gif.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, sorry I care. THE MATH MUST ADD UP. Occupational hazard, I guess.

I agree with what you are saying, but starvation mode (aka a lowered BMR from prolonged VLCD) is not corrected in one week.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the whole eating more to lose more thing isn't actually about starvation mode, I am pretty sure it is about the fact that if you do end up eating below your BMR then you just don't really have the energy. You might be working out but you aren't giving it the gusto it needs to be effective. By eating a higher amount (but still at a deficit) you have more energy which allows you to have more effective workouts, maybe even longer durations of time. I think it's basically a matter of providing enough energy to get the work done!!!

That's just what I've grasped from what I've read and experienced. I don't really think it's starvation mode per se.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Why would it stop if I am in a deficit?

This is what I have been thinking the whole time. The deficit is simple math that will determine, roughly, how many pounds are destined to come off, at least pounds that contain energy.

I understand it's a good idea to eat (nearly) enough to fuel your body, as in use a TDEE-20% kind of approach for losing weight. The difference comes from energy stored in your body (hopefully fat).

I think maybe what is at work in situations like these where people report suddenly losing weight after a plateau is the "whoosh." I think Lyle McD talks about this effect in one of his articles. Sometimes a "refeed" is enough to break through a plateau. I don't know if there is a whole lot studied on refeeds, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence. For what it's worth...
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Also, YAY OP for kickin booty!!! keep up the good work, girl!!! ^___^
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Who cares if the math adds up or not?? That is not the point....

I know - it's great that you're losing! I just mean the (known) rules about science (physiology in this case) are underpinned by maths. Maths is our FRIEND, here.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, I just have a thing about maths. It's not a healthy thing, either. My apologies. :flowerforyou:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Probably just a measurement error. But hey, if OP is happier eating more, good for her.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

"Starvation mode". LOL. :laugh:

Funny thing about starvation mode: It only happens to people who are literally starving. Another funny thing about people who are starving: They lose dramatic amounts of weight. So yeah, Average Gal With Overweight BMI? She's not in "starvation mode". :bigsmile:

Ouch. Bit rude? No need to mock people.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Oh, sorry I care. THE MATH MUST ADD UP. Occupational hazard, I guess.

I agree with what you are saying, but starvation mode (aka a lowered BMR from prolonged VLCD) is not corrected in one week.

I don't know. Have there been that many studies of it in humans? I don't think we understand the mechanisms through which the body lowers and raises metabolism in the kind of detail necessary for the math to be completely solid. There could be a wide range of individual differences in humans, imho.

The animal studies tend to use genetically-similar subjects when trying to mimic obesity or very high-metabolism individuals in humans. (The special populations show the metabolism traits they need for the studies). There could be selection bias in so many of the good studies we see, but that's understandable, of course.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I can't respond for the OP - only for myself. In my case I WAS at a deficit at 1200 and below (of course). I wanted to lift weights and I really wanted to run. After 3 months eating this low, I could not do it anymore. I was hungry all the time and had no energy to exercise at all.

Upping my calories slowly, allowed me to see over time, how high I could go before I maintained. It took me about 6 weeks to see that even at 1800 I was still losing. I had a lot of weight to lose and I knew there was no way I could cut from 1200 calories. It's a slow process and I'm sure I would have lost like crazy at 1200 calories, but on top of everything else - my hair was starting to fall out too.

The thing is I didn't have to. I am able to lose at 1800, lift heavy weights 3x a week & run a couple of days. This is my experience. I can not speak for anyone else - except to say that you should try it. Our bodies were not made to run on 1200 calories.

Were you eating exercise calories back, when you were at 1,200 calories?

MFP added them into my daily totals, but I still didn't eat enough. Most days I was under 1200 by 100 or so.

ETA: All the posters wondering what number of calories they can eat - it is not the same for everyone. I tracked everything for 6 - 8 weeks. I upped my calories very slowly and tracked my exercise with an HRM. I did this every day and I weighed every day. All this went into a graph and although my weight would fluctuate the trend was still going down. I'm sure there are tests that can help you find these numbers , but not something I would spend $$ on. So I did it the hard way. I still track all this stuff after a year. Just because I like seeing it over time.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options

Well... that sounds like an oversimplification. Your BMR would slow down by a small percentage, but it doesn't stop, as that statement would imply. At any rate, I'm going to take a leap to say such a thing wasn't at work here.

I get your point about some people not eating enough. A diet that is a lifestyle and can be adhered to is one that will have calories closest to maintenance. I believe it is generally healthier to go about this journey slowly and steadily.

But the math... it has to add up somehow. It's super important. It's the basis of MFP and any solid method of weight management. I'd be curious to find out what your weight does over the next month or two as you stick to a higher calorie level.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Well... that sounds like an oversimplification. Your BMR would slow down by a small percentage, but it doesn't stop, as that statement would imply. At any rate, I'm going to take a leap to say such a thing wasn't at work here.

I get your point about some people not eating enough. A diet that is a lifestyle and can be adhered to is one that will have calories closest to maintenance. I believe it is generally healthier to go about this journey slowly and steadily.

But the math... it has to add up somehow. It's super important. It's the basis of MFP and any solid method of weight management. I'd be curious to find out what your weight does over the next month or two as you stick to a higher calorie level.

It does add up. See earlier posts. I've been losing weight doing what the OP has done. Several of my other MFP friends have too. I know different things work for different people, different methods etc and it's not a one size fits all, however, it is a method that has and does work.

ETA: See in a place of a road map that she posted. That may give a better example.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options

It does add up. See earlier posts. I've been losing weight doing what the OP has done. Several of my other MFP friends have too. I know different things work for different people, different methods etc and it's not a one size fits all, however, it is a method that has and does work.

ETA: See in a place of a road map that she posted. That may give a better example.

I'm just saying the math has to add up. I'm not saying hers doesn't, because I didn't crunch her numbers myself to find out if they did. I know there are different ways to go about this, but it always has and always will come back to calories in/out. Energy accounting.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I told you so.