Does myfitnesspal really work?

Options

Replies

• glitterstreet
    Options
    I discovered mfp on my iPad. It has changed my life, I have lost alot of weight and feel great. If you put the effort it, there is little reason why it shouldn't work. I never really got how weight was lost before discovering mfp. Good luck!
  • losing4799
    Options
    Better than anything else. And it's free! There's only two things required for it to work...

Honesty and consistency

As a bonus the forums are always active and full of like minded friendly people. What's not to like.

Here's to your success

:)

best answer :)
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for almost 2 months, and it definitely works. I've lost 15 pounds so far. I'd definitely suggest getting a food scale and using measuring spoons and cups as well, so that your food journal is as accurate as possible. Be honest with yourself, log everything (even condiment), and you'll see a difference.
  • marieegg
    marieegg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have been on MFP since end of August or so and have lost 9 pounds! I love it! I'm a believer! I can't afford WW either and for some reason just really am resistant to learning and dealing with points. Maybe i am just stubborn? I really like the support and feed back you get from your pals. You go, girl! You got this!
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It absolutely works so long as you are diligent, honest, and stick to it. The great thing about MFP is it can work for everybody. If you are a junk food junkie, it will still work. You just find that healthier options allow you to eat more. But you do not have to change what you eat if you don't want to. You just need to adjust the amounts.

I never went on a diet before. This started working for me immediately. It also changed how I see food and taught me I was simply eating too much. I will either use it, or the calorie principles for the rest of my life.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are honest with it - it will.

My problem previously was that I thought I was eating okay - I wasn't. If MFP does nothing else for you, it'll educate you on what you eat, which is important.

Stick at it and you'll do fine. There's plenty of support and ideas on here.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've tried WW, Atkins, and a host of other diets...they never worked for me. I've lost 39 lbs with mfp since February and am super happy with my slow but steady weight loss because I don't yearn for 'forbidden foods'. It's not really a diet....I consider it simply being consistently mindful about what you eat, how much you eat, and how much you move. I eat at restaurants, enjoy family get-togethers, and am still losing weight. If you are honest, and log your food every single day to fit in your calories, you will lose weight too!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday, I heard this was a lot like weight watchers so I decided to join. I can't afford ww right now. I just wanted some encouraging words.

It's a hammer. It won't drive nails in itself.

You have to pick it up and start swinging it.

You wield the tool, you are responsible for the results.....
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    It works if you use it right. Someone else said honesty and consistency; I agree 100%. Log every single day, every single binge. Guess if you have to, but log it anyway.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I second this!

I love MFP :D
  • Kitof
    Kitof Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Instead of does "IT" work, the question to ask oneself is am "I" committed to making incremental and permanent lifestyle changes leading to a better, healthier, happier ME. If so, MFP (among others) are great tools to achieve it.
  • mkmitch3
    mkmitch3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You need two things to lose weight, knowledge and discipline. This program provides the knowledge and if you need support to help with the discipline part you can find some here, but discipline is self-induced. This place will help the plan but you have to commit to it and follow through. I use it on my windows phone as well as my home computer.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It's been working for me...great accountability if you use like it was meant to be used!!
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oh yes it works!
    You have to want it though and take an honest look at your eating habits to see where you can change and what you need to change. I've only cut a couple of things out completely - no I actually only cut out crisps completely and I started going to the gym and so far I've had great results.
    Also, get some friends. It's nice to see what they are doing and it's nice to ask for advice/support when needed.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A lot of things 'work' when you're honestly looking at what you eat every day. I've been in maintenance for a few months now and logging what I eat keeps the scale from creeping up again.
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago, and fell out of the MFP habit. I'm back now and my advice is LOG EVERYTHING!! Stay focused and you'll do great!!
  • davebslp
    davebslp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just use it as a visual way to track my weight at this point. Read the book "Eat to Live". I've been on the program since Oct 1st weeks now and have lost 12 pounds and feel better than I have in years. Still have 25 pounds to go. It's a lifestyle change for sure.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It helped me lose 50 pound and go from a size 14 to a size 4. So yes indeed! However, it's only as good as you are! Be honest. Log everything. You should see results if you eat less calories than you burn! Good luck!
  • HippieMamaOf2
    HippieMamaOf2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It works when you lose it! Be honest with yourself!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, because its a tracker. If you follow it, eat right, and exercise, it will work. It will work as well as you let it!