Export and analyze your own data in Excel

Options

Replies

• Thepapu
    Thepapu Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great Tool , but it seems to only import my net calories , none of my macros. I completed my logging for each day , but still my macros don't import. Except for today's data.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Export Tool update - version 5.06: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

corrections include
    - removed bug on reading dairy where no exercise data is present after a certain date
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Now that the program is a lot more stable - I'll do a few posts on how to read it and use the info you are getting. There is a lot there.

#1 What to look for on the extractor and trend watcher

The majors on tracking

We want to track calories and macros. Are you tracking well?

Look at the Report Card on the start tab. How is the logging section? If you aren't logging, significantly going over or under your objectives then you aren't using MFP effectively.

bvoalx2o1rjr.jpg
    (1) Gives you a score based on how well you can track and log your info or meet your goals
    (2) Explains the issue

How are your calorie goals and macros?

Look at Calories Tracked, how are you doing on the weekly averages and 30 days. You should be hitting your cals here (or you might also have a tracking issue).

Again on the report card, how are you meeting your macros? Look at Macro Tracking. See if you are getting the fat and protein you need. If not look at the uneaten macros, how much protein, fat are you leaving on the table?

l84q7se5jthg.jpg
    (1) Gives you the goals you set up
    (2) How are you hitting those over the last 30 days. If you had hit your goals, you would have left 0 protein and 0 fat on the table. It's fine to leave some, but if you are consistently leaving a lot either you need to focus more on these macros or consider that your goals are not set correctly.
    (3) Gives you the 90 day average.
    Lets say you are still leaving 88g average over the last. That's a lot! But perhaps the trend (4) is in the right direction? Keep at it.

Lets look at the macros in another way. Look at the remaining protein, for logged days graph.

12cwxs1rgq4d.jpg

See that line (1)? If you are improving, and meeting your protein goals it should be pointing towards zero or close to it. Here, in this case, there is room for improvement.
    You can also review the remaining fat graph in the same way (not shown).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • ephphy
    ephphy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Export Tool update - version 5.06

How weird. Since this update I'm having trouble with the dates I wasn't before - having to do the recommended "International settings in Windows for date and numbers need to be set to US" (which has been there for ages yet I never had to do so!)

Just a weird observation :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Export Tool update - version 5.07: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

corrections include
    - removed issue with international date
    - cleaned graph formatting

• ephphy
    Options
    Dropbox link still goes to a 5.06 file - is that correct?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    ephphy wrote: »

Should be fixed now - apparently the blog wasn't saving the change.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

getting an "invalid procedure call" notification when it fails. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

This is beyond cool, btw. thank you so so much.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

getting an "invalid procedure call" notification when it fails. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

This is beyond cool, btw. thank you so so much.

nevermind, I think I clicked okay before logging in. trying again now.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    wow I wish I can still get this file - would love to use it! anyone that has the file that can share?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    oncem0re wrote: »
    wow I wish I can still get this file - would love to use it! anyone that has the file that can share?

The link is right there, three-four posts up.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. this worked on my first try. Now if I can understand it all..
  • ephphy
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    Thanks.. this worked on my first try. Now if I can understand it all..
    This. I mean, I understand it all, mostly. But I'd like to see the next installment of the how to read and interpret like was done above with the macro tracking. I had SEEN those things before and been all "woe, I'll never reach 0 protein left" because my protein goals are usually quite high and I just don't have the appetite to eat that much (and will only force feed myself if I'm under 1200 cals). But since that post I've noticed that I actually have a :) sitting there and the arrow is heading at a downward angle, and so now instead of trying to hit that massive protein goal, I'm aiming to leave just a little less than my 30 day average. Eventually I'll be able to stomach the eating requires for a 0 left!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Good point, I'll do that next.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    New blog on using the weight and observed TDEE trends:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-trend-watcher-what-to-look-for-2-731118

Blog on the majors of tracking and macro trends
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-trend-watcher-what-to-look-for-1-728404

The updated extraction tool is here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

I just updated to a new version 5.08 - I've moved and cleaned the macro tracking info to a new tab and added per week loss so that it is easier to compare what was going on 6, 2, 1 months ago with last week.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Posting this for a discussion

4qkw257eitzt.jpg

weekly tracking of macros, weight and calories
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to downloading the latest version when I get home tonight. Awesome work!
  • clcoble
    clcoble Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For some reason I'm not getting any data in the graph for "Observed and Theoretical TDEE". Any ideas how to fix this? I saw a few others post this error awhile back.

Thanks!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    New version

The updated extraction tool is here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

I just updated to a new version 5.09 - added a log out button on the first tab, resolved the latest TDEE graph issue.