Export and analyze your own data in Excel

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Update version

The updated extraction tool is here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

I just updated to a new version 5.10 - resolved issue on uploading configuration data from an update done by MFP.

• discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks so much for the tool and all the work you've put into it. For a data geek like me its quite nice to have. :)

Couple things I've been having issues with.

The first is around updating for changed calorie/macro goals. But given that MFP can't even seem to keep their stuff straight with their apps right now, I'm not surprised. My iPad app can't keep my adjusted calorie goal straight on the Home page, although it shows properly on the Diary page. So honestly not sure if there's even anything you can do about this issue, because the problem may be entirely theirs.

What happens is when I select to update the user configuration, it imports a calorie goal of zero. I can work around this by just manually entering the calorie and macronutrient goals. Not a big deal.

The second issue is around the spreadsheet itself. If I hit my at goals for 30 straight days, the spreadheet reports that I have missed it for all 30 days. In Cell Y8 on the checkin Tab, it reports 30 if the sum of all of Q4:Q34 is zero, which means that if none of those days had remaining fat, it reports that ALL of those days have remaining fat. Looks like the same thing would happen with protein.

Oh, and the other thing I just remembered, although I think this is a function of changes in MFP as well, I'm now showing weight changes for every day in the past month, even though there were a handful of days I missed. Is MFP maybe now reporting interpolated data?
  • ephphy
    ephphy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    An interesting observation which isn't necessarily a reflection on the tool more my strange body, but in the last month where I've gone from a very sedentary existence (think less than 3000 steps per day) to approx 3-5 hours of heart pumping exercise a week- my observed activity level reported on the third tab has fallen from 1.7 to 1.1! Go figure!
  • justinhallas
    justinhallas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ephphy, it could very well be that, since this is the beginning of your weight loss, you lost a lot of water weight initially which translated into the program thinking your metabolism was very high. After that initial loss the rate of weight loss declined to something more reasonable and as such it thinks your metabolism dropped. When I'm looking at those numbers I normally average over 20-30 days and then still just take them with a grain of salt. If what you're doing is working, keep doing what you're doing! :)
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My activity goes up and down quite a bit depending upon how much I lose. I watch my oTDEE and set the scale as high as they can go. This gives me the most accurate TDEE number based upon my calorie and exercise logging. I used to try and get my activity level as high as I could then I finally emailed EvgeniZyntx and asked him what was going on. His response was that it was probably due to losing a large amount in a short time. Since then I focused on TDEE.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    ephphy wrote: »
    An interesting observation which isn't necessarily a reflection on the tool more my strange body, but in the last month where I've gone from a very sedentary existence (think less than 3000 steps per day) to approx 3-5 hours of heart pumping exercise a week- my observed activity level reported on the third tab has fallen from 1.7 to 1.1! Go figure!
    My activity goes up and down quite a bit depending upon how much I lose. I watch my oTDEE and set the scale as high as they can go. This gives me the most accurate TDEE number based upon my calorie and exercise logging. I used to try and get my activity level as high as I could then I finally emailed EvgeniZyntx and asked him what was going on. His response was that it was probably due to losing a large amount in a short time. Since then I focused on TDEE.

That's correct.

Consider a large increase in activity. A hypothetical you suddenly 'burns' 3 extra hrs of exercise but given that you just started to exercise - you aren't seeing the equivalent weight loss in the first weeks. So - 'for the period' - the observed activity level will go down. It is from the observed energy balance.

Don't sweat it. As your weight goes down or averaged over a larger period of time it will come back to a more realistic value.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    discnjh wrote: »
    First of all, thanks so much for the tool and all the work you've put into it. For a data geek like me its quite nice to have. :)

Couple things I've been having issues with.

The first is around updating for changed calorie/macro goals. But given that MFP can't even seem to keep their stuff straight with their apps right now, I'm not surprised. My iPad app can't keep my adjusted calorie goal straight on the Home page, although it shows properly on the Diary page. So honestly not sure if there's even anything you can do about this issue, because the problem may be entirely theirs.

What happens is when I select to update the user configuration, it imports a calorie goal of zero. I can work around this by just manually entering the calorie and macronutrient goals. Not a big deal.

The second issue is around the spreadsheet itself. If I hit my at goals for 30 straight days, the spreadheet reports that I have missed it for all 30 days. In Cell Y8 on the checkin Tab, it reports 30 if the sum of all of Q4:Q34 is zero, which means that if none of those days had remaining fat, it reports that ALL of those days have remaining fat. Looks like the same thing would happen with protein.

Oh, and the other thing I just remembered, although I think this is a function of changes in MFP as well, I'm now showing weight changes for every day in the past month, even though there were a handful of days I missed. Is MFP maybe now reporting interpolated data?

I'll check those issues out in the next week.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I adore this tool! It is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much.

The Observed and Theoretical TDEE graph never works for me which is a bummer.
  • cfieser1
    cfieser1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to change the date max from 365 days to more?
  • bob98b3
    bob98b3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this! One thing I would like to see is to have it import the "Check-In" data (beyond weight). I'm starting to track things to hopefully find a trend/correlation with what I eat and issues with my stomach. I'm going to be keeping track of how my stomach is every day on that Check In page so would be nice if things like that can get imported in as well. It could also be cool to have it import a description of what you ate for each day. Just a suggestion!
  • FletcherLoder
    FletcherLoder Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Upon import I'm getting an error that says:

"ERROR: the most recent error is 5. It's message text is: Invalid procedure call or argument in function ImportConfig. Error location 10. Please report to EvgeniZyntx."

I assume this is related to the fact that it's saying I'm a woman (I'm not), am 0 years old, and have 0 for all macro goals.

Not sure what I did wrong.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Upon import I'm getting an error that says:

"ERROR: the most recent error is 5. It's message text is: Invalid procedure call or argument in function ImportConfig. Error location 10. Please report to EvgeniZyntx."

I assume this is related to the fact that it's saying I'm a woman (I'm not), am 0 years old, and have 0 for all macro goals.

Not sure what I did wrong.

MFP updated a few sheets - So I've had to update the tool. The new tool is version 6.00B

As usual, the latest version can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

It has significant rewrites due to MFP updates. Note it does NOT support the paid version of MFP with daily macro goals, nor do I plan to do that in the future at this time.

Please let me know of any issues. Enjoy!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2016
    Options
    New version.

Update on the data extraction tool: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

It now has a "manual mode" - by setting it to manual (and not pressing any buttons) one can enter the diary and weight data by hand and get the analysis on TDEE, macros targets, weight, etc. Manual mode works on Mac, too! The auto extraction won't be developed for the mac at this time.

Let me know if you have any questions or issues.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Newer version just posted.

Minor bug corrected and the tool now provides the "MFP Net Cals" - it provides both the calories to eat when you eat back exercise or the cals to eat including exercise based on your own observed TDEE and expected weight loss per week.

Same location as above.
  • Abel721
    Abel721 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice work look forward to checking it out tonight.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This macro library is awesome! It helped me immensely with determining an eating goal to maintain/lose/gain weight. Thanks for the work you've done on it, @EvgeniZyntx
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Love this tool, thank you so much!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Welcome!
    Glad you are finding it useful!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Updated the tool V6.5 - it now includes a new macro analysis tab to look into the macronutrient distribution on the few days prior to a high calorie days. The idea is to help answer, for example, is binging or high calorie days perhaps influenced by a particular macro - eating too much carbs or not enough protein on the few days prior to the event...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927

Sample graph.
    1ge9svm9zrkw.png
  • Surye
    Surye Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First, thank you for this great tool, I was gonna set out to make one like it but not nearly as ambitious and feature-rich! Not sure if this has already been requested in the last 14 pages, but any chance you could add support for net carbs, as a configurable option maybe? Just a simple carbs-fiber. So that this can be used in macro trends and analysis? I know this can be a problematic figure for many people, especially in countries that track net carbs as the carb count on food labels, but I know there are a great number of people this would help.