Export and analyze your own data in Excel

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Minor nitpick: need to extend formatting on check-in tab col B past row 485.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Method 4 worked like a charm! (And FAST!)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    New Version 2V13

Now that this is stable and working on Excel 2010 and 2007 I will not be updating it for at least a few days maybe weeks.
    I think the next version will be a significant change - I'd like to include weekly anaylsis and make the calorie export just updates so it does not require a full reload each time.

What this version does:

V3.13 - Extended formatting in Check-In to 1000 cells, updated graph for TDEE and calculation sheet, now does ranges for dates up (30, 60, all) upto 1000 day, Weight method 3 update - end-values are cleanly imported. Calorie import updated with a small speed improvement

And Q&A on some of the questions I've gotten:

1- What does "Estimated TDEE vs Average Weight" mean? I'm not sure I understand what is being graphed here.
    Here are the values of TDEE vs Weight - it shows how TDEE might change at various weights. Since TDEE is activity level dependent the noise here is related to that. The calculation for TDEE uses calories consumed and exercise calories are not used as an element to try to evaluate an activity level.
    This graph appears is in kg instead of lbs for now as I am using the TDEE equation values, its a hassle to dynamically assign a different x axis. :)

2- Is there a way to get the TDEE graphs extended to all of my data and not just the last 30 days. I wanted to see if my TDEE has gone up or down as I bulked and cut.
    The new version has this. However extracting down to your start date takes a lot of time! Note that I have not extracted that far and it's a) gonna take forever b) I'm not sure about how clean it will calculate when the number of weight days is few for the the smoothing. You might need to ignore the first days of data....

3 - Minor nitpick: need to extend formatting on Check-In tab col B past row 485.
    Corrected, normally this should now work for extractions up to a thousand days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-extractor-and-trend-watcher-the-program-post-589839
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Awesome.

Personally, I'd still like the ability to graph what I used to call NEAT, but have recently learned is actually TDEE less exercise calories. Whatever it's called, I find it useful as an indicator of that ever-elusive "metabolism". Said another way, it's the calories I burn when I don't intentionally exercise. It's something I've tracked in my own far-less-automated-and-more-clunky spreadsheet for a while now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Awesome.

Personally, I'd still like the ability to graph what I used to call NEAT, but have recently learned is actually TDEE less exercise calories. Whatever it's called, I find it useful as an indicator of that ever-elusive "metabolism". Said another way, it's the calories I burn when I don't intentionally exercise. It's something I've tracked in my own far-less-automated-and-more-clunky spreadsheet for a while now.

Ok.

So this would be either:
    a) TDEE - exercise calories - RMR(guesstimated from equation)

or do you just want just

b) TDEE - exercise calories

I'm guessing b) would be sufficient. We can pull that data without additional queries, I think, so I'll add that to my to do list.
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Like. Thank you! Bump.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bumping for awesomeness. For a data geek like me this is incredible stuff!

I am still confused about the observed TDEE though, can you explain a little more how that value is calculated? Sorry if you already mentioned this, but I couldn't find it. Particularly, it says TDEE is low, I am wondering this is low with respect to what?

Thanks
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ok not sure if this is a bug, but on the 'Calc' sheet, the formulas for N3 & J3 are the same, however on the Graphs!I21 you are comparing if Calc!N3 is > that Calc!J3, which will always be false since the formulas are the same?!
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is cool. Saves me time from doing it long hand. Thanks.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Awesome.

Ok.

So this would be either:
    a) TDEE - exercise calories - RMR(guesstimated from equation)

or do you just want just

b) TDEE - exercise calories

I'm guessing b) would be sufficient. We can pull that data without additional queries, I think, so I'll add that to my to do list.

Yes, b) is exactly what I'd like. We can leave RMR in there because it's a component of what I want to know anyhow...which is, without any extra exercise, what is maintenance? This seems like a good quantification of that ever-elusive thing called "metabolism".
  • GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Checking back in, I'm glad you made a blog with an updated download link. You keep making this thing better and better.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Bump and thank you
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yay.
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No mac :(
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi. I wrote a tool to export the reports data as .csv files for use in Excel or similar programs. No fancy graphs, but it should work on both Mac and PCs. I just finished writing it a few hours ago, so with your feedback, I'd love to make it a better tool. Thanks! http://foodfastfit.com/myfitnesspal-x-foodfastfit/
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ! thanks.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for this. With the data I've been able to work out this:
    Over 269 days, total cals in = 752901
    Lost = 10 lbs
    Deficit = 35000 calories
    Cals out = 752901 + 35000 = 784401
    Over 269 days, observed TDEE = 2929 calories per day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Hi. I wrote a tool to export the reports data as .csv files for use in Excel or similar programs. No fancy graphs, but it should work on both Mac and PCs. I just finished writing it a few hours ago, so with your feedback, I'd love to make it a better tool. Thanks! http://foodfastfit.com/myfitnesspal-x-foodfastfit/

Thanks for this. That's a neat way of doing it!

I'm not currently running chrome on my machines for various reasons and am focusing on the next version of my tool. But afterwards, when I have a moment I'll install it and take a look!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Thanks again for this. With the data I've been able to work out this:
    Over 269 days, total cals in = 752901
    Lost = 10 lbs
    Deficit = 35000 calories
    Cals out = 752901 + 35000 = 784401
    Over 269 days, observed TDEE = 2929 calories per day.

Very cool!