HATE Cardio, LOVE weight-training

Options
124»

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss
    Cardio = Look good in your clothes....Get to eat a little more.
    Lifting Heavy = Look great naked....Get to east A LOT more.

Weight loss really has nothing to do with anything other than eating at a deficit.

Well, that's not 100% true -

http://cutthefatpodcast.com/1641/fat-loss-podcasts/episode-56-exterminating-the-calorie-myth-an-interview-with-jonathan-bailor-of-the-smarter-science-of-slim
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Weight loss really has nothing to do with anything other than eating at a deficit.
    Weight loss is 100% calorie deficit...it has nothing to do with the exercise you are doing.

Statements like these are a misrepresentation, because deficits are intimately tied to exercise levels.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do cardio, but I recommend it for the benefits to your heart and overall health. The primary reason I started working out was heart health, not to lose weight.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio.

So I don't do any.

I do make time to do fun active stuff like racquetball, tennis, skiing, caving, biking, etc., though.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Look for a groupon for a boxing gym. I swear, you will LOVE it! I'm saving up for my own bag because I can't afford to join the gym.

plus one.

you can work out for cheap for a while with groupons and trial offers. i did a month of muay thai at a Gracie Academy Gym on a $50 groupon.

<-- wonders how one builds muscle or how long someone has to punch a bag before they burn enough calories to aid in weight loss...

Not knocking boxing, but isn't boxing mostly for boxers? Just seems like a strange suggestion. I have to figure for most people this will endup like the treadmill they bought, just sitting collecting dust.

She was asking for other forms of cardio, and it will also help with strength gains.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson111.htm

ETA I was burning over 600 calories in a 50 minute session, so I'd say it's a pretty decent workout. My class started with 20 minutes of high intensity training (burpees, jumps and lunges from one end of the gym and back, for example) before we hit the bags.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% calorie deficit...it has nothing to do with the exercise you are doing.

Statements like these are a misrepresentation, because deficits are intimately tied to exercise levels.

Interesting...because I actually lost a lot of weight with no exercise whatsoever...just a calorie deficit as per my diet and all...It's calorie deficit. Whether MFP or TDEE, you account for exercise activity in the formula for total expenditure and then take a cut...all exercise does is allow you to eat more than you otherwise could in either case. I have never used exercise to create a calorie deficit...

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio that i have fun doing. I lift 4x a week, and will go for a walk or hit up Zumba on my off days. If I was required to run on a treadmill or something everytime i would go to the gym i would say effff that jazz.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    its all about a reasonable calorie defecit.

I a big advocate of cardio because its an important aspect of fitness and its good for your heart.

you don't need to do it to lose weight, but you don't 100% need to lift either (tho if you were to do one and not the other, lift).

Aside from that, there is really only two reasons to do cardio:

1. its a perferred form of workout for you.

2. you want to be able to consume more food (do more/eat more and still stay at a reasonable calorie defecit)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

well yes, but your statement seems to imply that a defecit can only be achieved through exercise, which of course is not true.

one can achieve a defecit without exercise and hence lose weight.
  • lannasster
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in 4 months when I first started lifting...without cardio. Then I started to add in HIIT because I got bored and wanted to stay at the gym longer.