Opinions on the positive effects of water fasting?

Options
124»

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Given the above findings re: the fasting nurses, would be curious to know if studies of people spending a month with a focus on praying or meditating showed similar reductions in stress and depression. My guess ('cause I'm too lazy to go searching) would be yes. In which case, it would be impossible to tell if the study is simply recording the effects of the holiday (where you would expect an increased focus on praying, etc), or on the actual fasting.

I don't believe they controlled for time spent praying or engaging in meditative or calming exercises, so I agree that this is major flaw in this study. I do think, however, that the results are interesting either way particularly that they showed a decrease in reported stress levels and depression but no change in anxiety.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Isn't water fasting just...fasting?

I mean when people fast for religious reasons they do drink water, right? :huh:

Just holy water, I think

(joke)

LOL!

To answer the question with some evidence:

There are several studies available describing the benefits, drawbacks, and implications of religious fasting events (i.e. Ramadan). A few of them I've posted below have some interesting conclusions. I haven't found much on specifically water fasting, but perhaps someone else can chime in and provide that information.

The Effects of Ramadan Fasting and Physical Activity on Blood Hematological-Biochemical Parameters (this looks to be translated into English, so there are some grammatical peculiarities in this article, but their methods and conclusions were relevant and interesting): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758056/

Conclusion: Fasting during the month of Ramadan by regular physical activity caused positive alterations in Hematological-Biochemical Index. These changes may be due to the alterations in diet, biology response of the body to the starving and physical activity during this month.

Effect of Ramadan fasting on emotional reactions in nurses (this one looked at the effects fasting on emotional state and stress levels): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3748544/

Results: The findings showed that depression and stress levels were significantly reduced after in comparison with before the holy month (P < 0.05). Despite the reduction of anxiety level in fasting caregivers after Ramadan, the difference was not significant.

Glycogen shortage during fasting triggers liver–brain–adipose neurocircuitry to facilitate fat utilization (this one talks more about the methods by which fat oxidation occurs during fasting, but it's interesting albeit slightly off-topic): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3753545/

These results demonstrate that liver glycogen shortage activates a liver–brain–adipose neural axis that has an important role in switching the fuel source from glycogen to triglycerides under prolonged fasting conditions.

You can search for more information by going here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed You will want to restrict your search to full free articles online unless you only wish to read the abstracts.

ETA: My anecdotal (n=1) and unscientific opinion is that it doesn't work for me, though I often tend to forget to eat if I'm not careful. Fasting throughout the day decreases my ability to avoid junk food and generally makes me cranky. That being said, I know it works very well for others.

I fast twice a week but still eat 500 calories those days at diner. Great links thank you.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I've done short ones (up to 64 hours). It's not dangerous for that time frame for a water fast; although anything longer than 60hrs I'd say a juice fast or PSMF. Different reactions do happen; some feel better, some intolerable. It's not a faint of heart deal; nor should it be done regularly. There isn't a whole lot of conclusive data to support claims and conclusions at this time; the data is indeed mixed and poor. You could experiment and see how you feel. I'm probably more apt because I typically do warrior diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a *kitten* fast, it's where you *kitten* prior to a meal.

Think that will help me detox properly?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There is some limited evidence that short periods of fasting increase metabolism.

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am an avid believer in water fasting for the positive effects it has on me on all levels. I have done a 14 say water fast only after much research (check out fitness through fasting by Robert Dave Johnson) for spiritual reasons only. During the fast I had a great sense of peacefulness that I had never experienced before. My blood pressure dropped to normal and my energy level was amazing. Not once did I get into any arguments with my hubby (I believe he actually loved me more during this time) and I was told by my family that I cooked the most amazing meals (because my senses were much more improved). My weight when I had started was at 245 lbs and by the end of the fast I was 202 lbs. When I finished with liquid only meals to get me back to eating solids 10 days later, I had regained only my water weight (about 6lbs) but the weight just kept going down. I did this back in 2011 for the spiritual benefits but got the weight loss as an added bonus. My skin became brighter (I was told almost 10 years younger)and smooth, it didn't hang loose as did in most of the diets I had done in the past for weight loss reasons. I was so excited that I had dropped 3 dress sizes in such a short time.

Now I do intermittent fasting, on a continuous basis, when I feel depressed or low emotionally or spiritually. To this day I have never gone back to 245 lbs, just always around 235 lbs. Right now my aim is weight loss, so I have started on another full 14 day water only fast (but added in green tea) to give me a booster, I am still going to log into MFP daily but to add in any walking I have done and still add my water/green tea.

I only wanted to post this for those who have any doubt about fasting on water only. However on that note the water can only be purified or filtered.

I suggest that you must always research first before attempting anything... :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.
    The rate of detoxification increases dramatically during a water only fast, and there are many, many positives of water fasting.

Anyway, OP, water fasting is not for weight loss, though weight loss is a side effect of it. If you want info on it, check out Truenorth Health Center at their site. http://www.healthpromoting.com/water-fasting/fasting-research

Fasting can help you make a sudden break from your bad habits, if needed, but other than that, it's done more for health of spiritual reasons. It's not best to use it for weight loss, because it's not a sustainable loss program.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.
    The rate of detoxification increases dramatically during a water only fast, and there are many, many positives of water fasting.

Anyway, OP, water fasting is not for weight loss, though weight loss is a side effect of it. If you want info on it, check out Truenorth Health Center at their site. http://www.healthpromoting.com/water-fasting/fasting-research

Fasting can help you make a sudden break from your bad habits, if needed, but other than that, it's done more for health of spiritual reasons. It's not best to use it for weight loss, because it's not a sustainable loss program.

You truly spread dangerous information.