Fed Up with Food Fear-Mongering

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    IN because someone actually recently claimed to me that gluten caused both autism and schizophrenia.

And because these always get to be so much fun to read.

I don't even know how I would respond if someone said that to me. I just.... can't even process that.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    IN because someone actually recently claimed to me that gluten caused both autism and schizophrenia.

I don't even know how I would respond if someone said that to me. I just.... can't even process that.

my response was pretty much

tumblr_lstni9P5Qi1qjl462.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm actually in, but waiting for someone to seriously try to convince us that cauliflower will kill us all.

If there's one food that is genuinely evil, it's cauliflower.

Cauliflower got no reason to live.

I disagree. It's kale.

I drive by a billboard on my way home from work that says, and I am not making this up, "HAIL THE BENEFITS OF KALE."

I have considered going the long way home just so I don't have to see it.

There's another billboard, which I pass on my way in, by the same insurance company that has a picture of a jug of skim milk and says "SKIM THE FAT."

They make me want to cry.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

That's why I like to kill it, roast it, top it with a delicious garlic-tahini sauce and then eat it. MMMMMM good.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just so we're all clear, the OP belongs to me.

Carry on.
  • jonnythan
    Options

my response was pretty much

tumblr_lstni9P5Qi1qjl462.gif

I can't stop looking. I feel that feel.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    AWESOME POST!

Food derp fighting is a noble cause (especially when coupled with great gifs!). That being said... I totally bought into the BS of vilifying and demonizing certain foods.

:::murmuring of crowd:::

I used to not eat sugar at all for 3 months at a time, and when I "broke" it was ugly.

:::someone gasps in the back of the room:::

I remember hearing reading an anecdote from Oprah (I am a fan) saying that she did not eat bread for 1 year! I thought to myself "Well, that makes sense... maybe I should not eat bread too". In fact I have used keto sticks because I ate less than 50 gms of carbs a day. I have used Raspberry Ketones. I starved myself on 1200 calories per day and tried to run and not eat back the calories (of course when I went on a run I could only run 1/2 miles before I conked out). I went on fasts and I did not eat for entire days at a time. I spent two years skipping dinner and drinking only a Naked Juice... it was a game to see if I could do 1200 calories or less. (I am a 5'7" male who used to weigh over 200 lbs)

If I did eat Pizza, Donuts, Ice Cream... I would

1. Beat myself up for days and go totally "Siberian forgotten Prisoner diet" to make up.
    2. Go on epic binges of 4000-6000 calories per day which would last for weeks to then turn around and starve myself again.

:::Agitation in the crowd - Mother's hide their children's eyes and ears:::

Enough! - That's right Enough!

I Eat Pizza, Pop Tarts, Ice Cream, Potato chips now - And I also eat chicken breasts, broccoli, egg whites, apples, grapes, and oatmeal. No food is off limits! (OK.. maybe Liver, Pâté de Foie Gras, and Brussel Sprouts). I have figured out my TDEE and My BMR and and as long as these foods fit in the mid range on a weekly averaged basic it is fine! The results are happening and I feel great!

All I can say to people new to the board... read everything you can... find people that have a sense of irony and humor about their weightloss journey and you will learn a lot. I still "don't know what I don't know" and I am learning step by step.

Good luck!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Awesome Read!! Thanks for the post and link.

I find reading some of the threads, like the recent PALEO thread, or should I say threads, funnier than heck to read.

Then there is the new one asking about ground beef versus ground turkey. I can't wait to get back to that one later for some more laughs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just so we're all clear, the OP belongs to me.

Carry on.

Where's your flag? Don't you have to stake a flag in somewhere to lay claim? Or am I getting confused with something else :tongue:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    That article is pure win.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in, but waiting for someone to seriously try to convince us that cauliflower will kill us all.

If there's one food that is genuinely evil, it's cauliflower.

Isn't that the Truth.... Went Grocery shopping today and hit the produce section and noticed the seasonal colored cauliflower....... :noway: They had Green, The traditional , and Orange heads of Cauliflower. Ugh :sick:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Food derp fighting is a noble cause (especially when coupled with great gifs!)

That being said... I totally bought into the BS of vilifying and demonizing certain foods.

:::murmuring of crowd:::

I used to not eat sugar at all for 3 months at a time, and when I "broke" it was ugly.

:::someone gasps in the back of the room:::

I remember hearing reading an anecdote from Oprah (I am a fan) saying that she did not eat bread for 1 year! I thought to myself "Well, that makes sense... maybe I should do it to". In fact I have used keto sticks because I ate less than 50 gms of carbs a day. I starved myself on 1200 calories per day and tried to run and not eat back the calories (of course when I went on a run I could only run 1/2 miles before I conked out). I went on fasts and I did not eat for entire days at a time. I spent two years skipping dinner and drinking only a Naked Juice... it was a game to see if I could do 1200 calories or less.

If I did eat Pizza, Donuts, Ice Cream... I would

1. Beat myself up for days and go totally "Siberian forgotten Prisoner diet" to make up.
    2. Go on epic binges of 4000-6000 calories per day which would last for weeks to then turn around and starve myself again.

:::Agitation in the crowd - Mother's hide their children's eyes and ears:::

Enough! - That's right Enough!

I Eat Pizza, Pop Tarts, Ice Cream, Potato chips now - And I also eat chicken breasts, broccoli, egg whites, apples, grapes, and oatmeal. No food is off limits! (OK.. maybe Liver, Pâté de Foie Gras, and Brussel Sprouts).

I have figured out my TDEE and My BMR and and as long as these foods fit in the mid range on a weekly averaged basic it is fine!

The results are happening and I feel great!

All I can say to people new to the board... read everything you can... find people that have a sense of irony and humor about their weightloss journey and you will learn a lot.

I still "don't know what I don't know" and I am learning step by step.

^yep! you're doing it right (learning from all those mean and nasty people) :drinker:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sticky this effer.

Agreed.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    <<snipped..
    All I can say to people new to the board... read everything you can... find people that have a sense of irony and humor about their weightloss journey and you will learn a lot.

I still "don't know what I don't know" and I am learning step by step.

^yep! you're doing it right (learning from all those mean and nasty people) :drinker:

^^^ Rock and Roll! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Lol this reminds me of when I was watching Amy Schumer's standup comedy, and she was like, "Does anyone else miss bread? wtf happened to just being ok with eating bread? Do you guys remember this food?" It was funny, but things have seriously gotten this ridiculous.

My husband has a hardcore crush on Amy, and I'm ok with it.

Thanks for sharing this article!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Very informative. I believe in common sense,a rarity when it comes to food info.As long as I don't start buying diet bread or salad dressing,
    I can eat good,lose some weight & keep my money.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Here.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    *takes off to tinfoil hat*
  • GermanicKnight
    Options

I.....I....uh....I......wait....what?

Bacon causes joy. Someone try to disprove that!