KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree!!!

Annnnnd TL/DR

:drinker:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This is a great blog post and a great thread. In to see people come in and one by one claim pretty much every food in the world besides cauliflower will kill you.

Cauliflower is white.. white food is bad for you.. so cauliflower is bad for you...

:drinker: :blushing: :drinker: :happy:
  • Kristine_7707
    Options

Bacon causes joy. Someone try to disprove that!

MMMM bacon
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    In. I've noticed, too - on here and on my Facebook feed - that is often goes beyond just a phobia.

For some people, it's turned in to pure moralizing. There's a self-righteous, almost religious flavor to their beliefs. It's beyond just a preference for certain types of diets and lifestyles, and there's nothing you can say, and no evidence you can present showing the flaw in the studies they paste everywhere that will convince them otherwise.

Oh, you're fine eating GMOs? You're bad and wrong. Eat sugar? Shame on you, don't support the industry that is making the west obese. Eat artificial sweeteners instead of sugar? Enjoy your cancer. Ounce of whiskey in the evenings? Bad. Eat meat? Bad. Don't eat meat? Carbs? Fat? Bad bad bad bad bad.

This type of thinking is ESPECIALLY frustrating when I see people posting claims that serious illnesses like cancer can be treated or prevented by eating or avoiding foods or special diets (Gershon therapy, cleanses, etc)... not only because it's woo BS that does squat to help sick people, but also because it's uncomfortably close to claiming that people with illness are to blame for their own suffering because of their diets. Fffffff.

/soapbox. Eat in a way that works for you, damnit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just so we're all clear, the OP belongs to me.

Carry on.

Where's your flag? Don't you have to stake a flag in somewhere to lay claim? Or am I getting confused with something else :tongue:

I flagged him... but you'll never know where.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great article. Can't stand that fear mongering and shaming of foods. Let alone the idea that our bodies can't process X food because the cavemen didn't have it?! They also didn't talk in complete sentences or walk upright.

I have to disagree with the cauliflower haters... I love it roasted with garlic, although raw, I completely agree is awful.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    IN because someone actually recently claimed to me that gluten caused both autism and schizophrenia.

And because these always get to be so much fun to read.

I.....I....uh....I......wait....what?

Bacon causes joy. Someone try to disprove that!

It was so batsh*t insane I looked it up. Apparently for the 3% of schizophrenics with celiacs disease, a reduction in gluten helped. I don't think it was quite the damning renouncement of gluten the person took it to be. But thats what happens when you read a blog's interpretation rather than the actual research article.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In for the glorious carbs and sugar that I don't want to divorce myself from... since I'm going to die anyway.

And if I hear that there is freaking rocket fuel in my ice cream one more time...
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    In for all the awesomeness.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'm currently doing Atkins.

Its taught me its basically all about calories period.

so i guess i've progressed beyond IIFMM to just 'give me my protein damn it' lol.

I'll probably still go low carb or low fat now and then. Dramatically changing my intended macros alters what on the menu and helps keep things fresh that way.

i guess the general plan going forward will be to set my protein take at whatever % will give me around 1 gram per lbs body weight and just concentrate on staying at cal while eating more or less what i want.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just so we're all clear, the OP belongs to me.

Carry on.

Where's your flag? Don't you have to stake a flag in somewhere to lay claim? Or am I getting confused with something else :tongue:

I flagged him... but you'll never know where.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day though, it doesn't so much matter.

have a donut, don't have a donut.... what i really want is an entire box of donuts everyday lol, and thats just not healthy anyway you slice it, unless i'm training like phelps... or 8 ft tall or something.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    citizen_cane.gif

so very well said, bookmarking that blog and this post should be stickied.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Bravo. I need to send this to my hubs, whose coworkers were reading Wheat Belly.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in, but waiting for someone to seriously try to convince us that cauliflower will kill us all.

If there's one food that is genuinely evil, it's cauliflower.

Cauliflower got no reason to live.

I disagree. It's kale.

I drive by a billboard on my way home from work that says, and I am not making this up, "HAIL THE BENEFITS OF KALE."

I have considered going the long way home just so I don't have to see it.

There's another billboard, which I pass on my way in, by the same insurance company that has a picture of a jug of skim milk and says "SKIM THE FAT."

They make me want to cry.

I hate them.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Can't think of anything more to add :grumble:

So bumpity bump :tongue:
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the overall opinion of the original post - that eating anything in moderate amounts with an overall healthy diet and lifestyle won't be a problem - I don't agree that recognizing a food as being less healthy somehow equates to food fear-mongering. Some of the examples used are not, to my mind, inherently problematic for the reasons stated. For example, the person choosing to not make legumes a primary sources of carbs and proteins because lectins could potentially cause problems with leaky gut syndrome, etc. is not making an unhealthy or problematic choice. He recognizes there are other healthy sources of these nutrients, so why choose a potentially problematic one over ones that are generally agreed upon to be healthy? Same with the person avoiding consuming much fruit because of the high sugar content - if you're worried about your sugar intake then this is an entirely logical approach to your diet.

Just because you realize some foods are healthier or less healthy than other foods doesn't mean you're necessarily afraid of that food or are taking it to the extremes that the original post describes (things like bread will KILL YOU!). While I can't deny this exists, I think people have taken reactions against this behavior too far as well, to the point that any recognition that a food is less healthy than other alternatives suddenly becomes fear mongering.

For example, choosing to make grains a minimal part of your diet because you've read about the potential health issues and would rather choose other foods doesn't make you somehow a blind slave to fad diets and the media. It might be the case, but blindly labeling everyone who acknowledges some foods are inherently less healthy than others doesn't necessarily mean that either.

This article comes as a reaction to one extreme, and goes to the opposite extreme.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yay! way to represent the profession
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In. So effing in. (From phone, tagging for later).

Oh and for the inevitable sugar & gluten toxinz!

Me too...how the hell did I miss this thread earlier. That's a great article.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.