20 Things No One Tells You About Running

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have a new one from my run/walk this morning

#423 - Getting "pissed off" at hapless passing cars because they drown out your runkeeper app while it is announcing your current pace! :drinker:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When you workout at a high HR you develop tunnel vision and your fuse gets shorter. Otherwise ordinary things can piss you off. Passing cars, dangling change, squeaky sneakers, walkers talking out loud on their cell, groups of slower people blocking the track lanes, some smell in the air, kids chasing loose soccer balls across the track .. I have a thousand of these
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1. Your feet will look like crap. Blisters, black toenails, callouses. If you get pedicures, just apologize when you go in.

2. When people (non-runner types) learn you are a runner, they often like to tell you how much they hate running or that running will ruin your knees.

3. You don’t have to look like a runner to be a runner.

4. If you only run and don’t do anything else (cross train, strength train), you will probably get injured.

5. Most people, especially non-runners, really don’t care that much about your running.

6. You will run a race and in the middle of the race you will tell yourself you will never do this again. Yet, 30 minutes after you are done you will surf the Internet for your next race. Running is kind of like childbirth that way.

7. You will go through phases where you feel totally inadequate as a runner.

8. You will go through phases where you feel totally like a rock star as a runner.

9. You might gain weight instead of lose weight while training for a marathon.

10. Having a spare pair of shorts in your car is important. Soiling of all kinds can happen. Eww!

11. You will be pissed if someone refers to you as a “jogger” instead of a “runner.”

12. Sometimes other runners won’t always say “hi” to you when you run by them.

13. You might pee yourself while your run, or worse.

14. Running is expensive. It’s not just about a pair of shoes and shorts and a top. There are race entries, massages, watches, sports bras, cute running skirts, gels, blocks and recovery stuff.

15. You will get addicted. Yes, there are worse things to be obsessed about than running (like meth and prostitutes), but you might be surprised by how hooked you get into the whole running thing once you start.

16. After awhile, you cannot get the stench out of your running clothes.

17. You will never be the fastest runner you know. You will always never be the slowest runner you know.

18. Farts happen. A lot.

19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

20. You will never forget crossing the finish line of your first marathon or half marathon. That moment in time will come to mean a lot to you. Your feet might not even touch the ground.

You forgot these as well:

21. You start out with great motivation at first and run all the time just to be set back by runners injuries.. Such as Plantars Foot!! Ouch I have had mine all year long now it HURTS for me to run but I still do it..

22. If your not wearing the proper running clothes you might get sick as the seasons change.

23: Yep you said this above but its soooo true, You CAN gain weight :(

24. You can love and hate it but no matter what you will still want to do it once you have started. I mean like I said Im in serious pain often times when I jog but I still do it..

25. HELPS a TON with anxiety or heart problems, it definitely helps reduce stress...

26. Its easy to do and its just plain good for you.. ONTO BETTER HEALTH! CHEERS..
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    DeputySox Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 34 October 23, 2013 2:09 pm
    1. Your feet will look like crap. Blisters, black toenails, callouses. If you get pedicures, just apologize when you go in.

10. Having a spare pair of shorts in your car is important. Soiling of all kinds can happen. Eww!

13. You might pee yourself while your run, or worse.

16. After awhile, you cannot get the stench out of your running clothes.

18. Farts happen. A lot.

JIC for prospective runners or beginners who might find running repulsive from what is spotlit above:

1 Blisters, black toenails, callouses

Seek a medium between the foot care protocols for a cross between a diabetic and someone whose suffering from gout, as your pre, during and post protocols and your feet will be fine *Lookup your local Podiatrist as a cautionary regard for your maintenance*

Be mindful of and please prioritise your footwear and your choice of socks (hygiene and maintenance conscious). *Foot soaks and foot massage (Applying the similar protocols to the Foot/Partial leg self-massage as a heels/stilettos wearer will help greatly) *We all have our preferences with footwear and socks *

10 Soiling

ONLY relevant with runners whose diets qualify as High In Cholesterol + Hardening of the arteries with serious plaque issues + Heart Disease + Dehydration + Consumers of pain management medication (OTC or Prescription) + Recurring abdominal pain attacks + Weak "a" sphincter to start-off with akin to those suffering from incontinence.

13 Pee yourself

ONLY applies to runners who are suffering from Stress Incontinence aka Urgency Urinary Incontinence ie Weak sphincter muscles.

16 Stench out of running clothes, after awhile

Baking soda, dish washing detergent, hydrogen peroxide and white distilled vinegar as minimums. Spot stain treatment > Soak for some hours *Clean your washing machine's front loader*

18 Farts a lot

ONLY applies to those who suffer from some form(s) of digestive disorders. *Try Nauli*

ETA: italics
  • k8eekins
    Options
    For the sake of perusers who are thinking to run or have just started:
    2. When people (non-runner types) learn you are a runner, they often like to tell you how much they hate running or that running will ruin your knees.

4. If you only run and don’t do anything else (cross train, strength train), you will probably get injured.

9. You might gain weight instead of lose weight while training for a marathon.

14. Running is expensive. It’s not just about a pair of shoes and shorts and a top. There are race entries, massages, watches, sports bras, cute running skirts, gels, blocks and recovery stuff.

15. You will get addicted. Yes, there are worse things to be obsessed about than running (like meth and prostitutes), but you might be surprised by how hooked you get into the whole running thing once you start.

17. You will never be the fastest runner you know. You will always never be the slowest runner you know.

19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

20. You will never forget crossing the finish line of your first marathon or half marathon. That moment in time will come to mean a lot to you. Your feet might not even touch the ground.

2 Non-runners: Running will hurt your knees

ONLY for those who have arthritic knee/hip issues or those with weak muscle developments of the knee.

4 If all you do is run, you'll get injured

Depends. Terrain and surface (climate) + running course footwear determined at the very least, surely.

9 Marathon preparation: You might gain weight whilst in-training

Muscle mass *Positive*

14 Running is expensive

If you care enough, it will add up right across the board, affecting what we each prioritise to best manage our fitness lifestyle (distance, duration, intensity, frequency, time of the day, altitude, time of the year, objective).

15 You will get addicted

Therapeutic stress relief.

17 Never the fastest nor the slowest you know

*Very happy*

19 Performance, more mental than strength

Physical strength enables the ability of the mind to dare and complete the run = Parallel.

ETA: Fix italics
  • k8eekins
    Options
    ... Cont

3. You don’t have to look like a runner to be a runner.

5. Most people, especially non-runners, really don’t care that much about your running.

6. You will run a race and in the middle of the race you will tell yourself you will never do this again. Yet, 30 minutes after you are done you will surf the Internet for your next race. Running is kind of like childbirth that way.

7. You will go through phases where you feel totally inadequate as a runner.

8. You will go through phases where you feel totally like a rock star as a runner.

11. You will be pissed if someone refers to you as a “jogger” instead of a “runner.”

12. Sometimes other runners won’t always say “hi” to you when you run by them.

3 Don't have to look like a runner to be a runner

Non-issue in the inclusive community of runners. There's always just a general feeling of appreciation and respect for fellow runners, despite the demarcations of experience, distance, purpose, etc.

5 Non-runners: People don't care about your running

I wish. People are nosy and invasive.

6 Middle of race, never again; Half an hour after, surfing the net for the next event

N/A

7 Feelings of inadequacy ~ phases

Never inadequate, challenged - yes; My thrill! Running is dominated by personal bests; Battles within, less the external; Always fulfilling. To feel inadequate would mean being motivated by consciously comparing one's performance with someone in particular.

8 Feeling like a rock star

Cheering crowd of supporters chanting your name, yes; Deafening and an out of body experience. Otherwise, just another event, when zoned in, psyched.

11 Referred to as a jogger not a runner

Either way, doesn't bother me.

12 Sometimes other runners won't say "Hi."

Even but for a few seconds, there are polite exchanges and the very least being, nods of acknowledgement.

20 Never forget crossing the Finish Line

Absolutely! The most exhilarating feeling ever, pretty much. An unbelievable high.

ETA: sp
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @Dinos - Wow - that is right on - I never thought about it like that - when i am at 115-120 I am pretty easy going.. but when I am 135+ it is like a "search and destroy" mission LOL!
    When you workout at a high HR you develop tunnel vision and your fuse gets shorter. Otherwise ordinary things can piss you off. Passing cars, dangling change, squeaky sneakers, walkers talking out loud on their cell, groups of slower people blocking the track lanes, some smell in the air, kids chasing loose soccer balls across the track .. I have a thousand of these
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love this list, especially number 19 :)
  • RoShAn2010
    RoShAn2010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

The best feeling ever!!! I ran 2 half marathons and will be running my 3rd in February. Words cannot describe that feeling when you cross the finish line! Can't wait to do it again :bigsmile:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Love the whole list! And it's comforting to know the more embarrassing ones haven't just happened to me :laugh:

And it is definitely addicting. I did my first 10K this year, and I was in a lot of pain afterward (tight hip flexors) and said I would never do that distance again. Jump ahead 6 months, and I've decided to do it again next spring and improve my time lol. This year I did the 10K, two 5K's and a 6K obstacle course.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    pretty amusing list. I'm yet to pee or soil myself, so maybe im doing something wrong (or right, as it were)...

i disagree with running being expensive though. Every 6 months I buy a $30 pair of shoes... shorts, sweatpants... nuthin pricey

if i were gonna add one to the list it would involve nipple chaffing! :noway: What an awful and unexpected problem!
  • mystery_of_me
    mystery_of_me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    #19 sums it up for me!

Running is so much more a mental game to me than a physical one. Although the feet and legs do the moving, it's the head that tell them to move. The mental challenge of the run is why I run! I thought I couldn't but I really can....positive thinking!