Do your old pictures disgust you!?

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would say that they disgust me, but they make me feel sad that I didn't decide to do something about losing all of that weight before now. I feel like I have wasted a lot of time being unhealthy when I could have been doing so much more.

Pretty much all of this. Now that I know how to manage my diet and what I need to lose weight, I'm sad I didn't do it earlier. I feel like I was making the idea of losing weight and/or dieting harder than it really is. I thought I'd be starving everyday and it would be a real struggle to even get through the day. But once I did some research and got a sustainable goal, it was like the clouds lifted and it wasn't nearly as hard. What's hard is the mental and physical challenges :P
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I successfully managed to avoid having pictures taken at my biggest, just as I avoid them now. So no, I have nothing for comparison!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I hate how I look in old pictures. I didn't even like having my picture taken because I hated seeing how I look. I still don't love looking at old pictures, but I appreciate how much I have changed (emotionally and physically). What I love most about those old pictures is knowing that no matter how I looked, my friends and family NEVER criticized me. And now that I'm becoming healthier, they are my biggest cheerleaders!
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No, I used to be slender and avoided pictures like crazy when I started gaining weight. The only unpleasantness I feel when I see the few that exist is that I wish I had started much sooner, before I got really big. I just didn't understand that really, it's kind of an easy fix.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    :wink: Nothing but motivation for me!!
  • teesfood
    Options
    I don't feel that way. I look terrible in my old pics, but I also felt terrible and it's important to see those reminders to see how you no longer want to be. I didn't hate myself when I was fat, but I was unhappy for a variety of reasons and unhealthy because of the extra weight.

Amen!
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    Yes. 100%
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Not so much disgusted, just sad that I got that heavy.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that way. I look terrible in my old pics, but I also felt terrible and it's important to see those reminders to see how you no longer want to be. I didn't hate myself when I was fat, but I was unhappy for a variety of reasons and unhealthy because of the extra weight.

Well said - At my heaviest I was 350+ and miserable inside and out - Sometimes I don't even recognize myself at first ! The eyes were so sad..... I'm so much happier and healthier now - it is a part of my past that I will remember and not go back to
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    No...actually they intrigue me! I can't believe it is me. They also keep me motivated! I REFUSE to allow myself to get that big ever again!!!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not at all. When I look at that woman who weighed almost 350 lbs I feel so much respect. SHE is the one who started this and committed to it, not me. I'm fit, I'm healthy. I love to work out and exercise. I like healthy food and I've learned so many ways to meet my emotional needs with things other than food. She didn't have any of that. She hurt all the time. She was scared, embarrassed and had NO IDEA she'd learn to love exerting herself and sweating and going all out. But she still did it. She stepped out and started the process with NONE of the advantages that I have now. I feel nothing but love and respect.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    1000 % !!

I never realised how big I was until I started losing weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so embarrased.

This!!!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd been disgusted by pictures of me for years, even before I got really heavy. That's why I'd try to be the person taking the pictures - so I wouldn't be in them. If I was forced to be in a picture, I'd try to stand in the back and purposely place myself behind someone tall that that even more of be would be obscured.

My husband and I were at a museum groundbreaking a few months ago. At that time, I was at about the halfway point to my weight goal, and I thought I looked pretty good. Someone took a picture with me in it that ended up in the publication for the club that's building the museum and when I saw it a few thoughts went through my head: "Thank heaven I'm not facing the camera so nobody can tell it's me. Praise be that I'm not identified in the caption. And man do I look awful - maybe I'd better revise my goal down a few pounds."

My current pictures (usually selfies to check clothing fit, etc.) disgust me, too. I can't put my finger on why, though. I just don't like seeing pictures of me.
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    Not at all. When I look at that woman who weighed almost 350 lbs I feel so much respect. SHE is the one who started this and committed to it, not me. I'm fit, I'm healthy. I love to work out and exercise. I like healthy food and I've learned so many ways to meet my emotional needs with things other than food. She didn't have any of that. She hurt all the time. She was scared, embarrassed and had NO IDEA she'd learn to love exerting herself and sweating and going all out. But she still did it. She stepped out and started the process with NONE of the advantages that I have now. I feel nothing but love and respect.

This is a fantastic and beautiful perspective. Well said!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i dont even know that *****
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can't even look at old photos, I cringe.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sick when I look at pictures of myself. I love the girl in those photos, and I'm glad she's on a better path.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    also - i was totally fooling myself with all the face shots that didnt really show how wide my shoulders were or how enormous my boobs were, sitting on top of my tummy.

NOW i get all pissy when i dont get any full body shots from some night out or some event
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • amyelyseneer
    Options
    Nope, after I lost half of what I need to (before starting this for the second 100 pounds i have to lose) I have to say the pics of me at my heaviest I think "Wow, I can't believe how big I was, but I look pretty happy."

I mean I never was depressed about it or thinking I was gross or anything. So looking at those pictures now I get just this "Wow, from inside that body I did not think I was that big. Weird"

The pictures that really upset me are the pictures from when I was a kid (like 12 and up) because I was tall and muscular I had been labeled "Fat" and I felt fat, I thought I was enormous, I mean I thought I was this huge chubby thing, in the moment those pictures were taken I remember thinking "I hope I don't look super fat in this picture!" But now I look at those pictures and I look like a tall perfectly proportioned pre-teen/adolescent. There's not an ounce of fat on that body, all the fat in those pictures was on my brain. From being told I was fat because I was taller and wider framed than everyone else my age, and being taller and more healthy than my anorexic sister in comparison. Being told constantly I was fat, being bribed with money to lose weight, being made to feel like I was big and ugly and awkward and fat compared to my sister who was five inches shorter than me and had a tiny frame and an eating disorder made me think i was HUGE when I wasn't.

Those pictures make me sad and super angry. I just think if people hadn't made such a big deal about pointing out I was bigger, I'd have a much better physique now.

Watch how you interact with your kids about their bodies. It really can mess them up.