what did you give up to help lose weight

Options

Replies

• RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Found out I have a milk allergy, so milk, ice cream, cheese (except on the occasional slice of pizza or in a burrito). Other than that, I haven't given up anything, just cut back on things I shouldn't have. I suppose soda. I definitely don't drink as much Coke or Mountain Dew as I used.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I switched the soda I would usually drink with water. So many less calories and it helps keep my skin clear.
    I switched the ton of sugar I would normally put in my coffee with a few Splenda.
    I just say no to the tons of donuts, cakes, cookies, chips, and bagels that are brought into my office every day.
    I plan ahead when eating out and during the day.
    I didn't give up on restaurant food- or even fast food- I just pre-log and eat smaller portions.

I think all of this is working for me
    :smile:
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.

I can't have just a little bit, so I find it easier not to have any at all. I've slipped up a couple of times since January, and still find it addictive!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Large portions, and anything fried in oil. I am not a dessert or candy eater so that was no trouble to give up.
  • lila1958
    lila1958 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Beer! We have a lot of micro breweries in my city, and that's what everyone does, goes out for a few beers.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    nada! just added more real food and less... of the pizza/taco/cheese sticks/Slurpee. Now I eat almost everything clean...but I eat whatever I want. Just yesterday I had a cheese BG Twist from dunkin with a pumpkin spice iced coffee black :bigsmile:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I gave up...

-Fried Foods
    -Laziness
    -Late Night Snacking

this
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the only thing that I decidedly gave up was fast food. I used to eat fast food, at least 3-4 times a week. Now I've maybe had it 3-4 times within the last twelve months.

I knew going into this that I would have to find something that I could always sustain. I try to eat healthy at least 85% of the time, leaving me 15% to enjoy the foods that aren't great for me, but that I love.

I still love bacon cheeseburgers. Just not fast food burgers.
  • teesfood
    Options
    Soda, fast food and some unhealthy relationships... Seems to be workin! :flowerforyou:
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Gluten, found out I hav an intolerance, and ice cream. The only thing I miss is bread :sad:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I just make more healthy choices.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Food. I miss it. :(
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I gave up liftingmommy. It was better for both of us.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Being lazy and overeating!!
  • fattofit84
    Options
    My shy personality
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fast food & making excuses
  • _Fenrir_
    _Fenrir_ Posts: 471
    Options
    Carbs and driving past the gym.
  • mcbc1611
    mcbc1611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How I've lost 70 lbs. in 104 days (Edit Post)
    Posted on 12/12/2013 by mcbc1611
    I had tried many times dieting throughout the years only to end up falling off the "wagon". My wife kept telling me about myfitnesspal and after the Dr.'s told me I needed to lose weight for my health, I decided it was time to give it a try on Saturday, Aug. 31st weighing 296. The first thing I did was cut out my diet sodas. You have to understand how hard this was for me. I was drinking a carton and a half per day, not counting 20oz bottles when I was out and about. It was totally an addiction for me. Just stopping the sodas made me feel like a totally different person. My energy level picked up and I had more mental clarity. We were also used to eating fast food at least 10+ per week and we put a stop to that and have saved many calories and a lot of money. I began making sure I would get in at least 10,000 steps per day using Striiv. After a week of walking 10,000 steps per day, I began increasing that a little every day to the point of now I am able to walk 5-7 miles with ease. On a typical day, I eat oatmeal (190 calories) for breakfast, a grilled chicken wrap (175 calories) for lunch and a grilled meat, vegetables (approx. 600-800 calories) for supper. We always eat supper no less than 3 hours before going to bed. I also love snickers candy bars, so on those days where I really have a craving for that wonderful taste, I keep a bag of the bite size and have 2, which total 85 calories. When I started out, myfitnesspal allowed me 1,860 calories and as I've lost weight, it now allows me 1,470 per day. This is what has helped me the most...even though I am allowed all those calories, I only allow myself 1,200 calories. Some days 1,200 is easy to live on, and the days that it is more difficult, I have "extra" calories to use to satisfy my hunger. As of Monday, Dec. 9th, I now weigh 226 lbs and am working my way down to my goal of 200 lbs. I hope relaying my experience will be an encouragement to someone else, because if I can do this, I know you can also. Take care and God bless!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I gave up on giving up.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I know for me it was a few things but mainly grease.
    Grease and salt. (I still miss my Friday night bag -- yes, the whole bag -- of Fritos with a tub of low-fat cottage cheese.) BUT I prefer, nowadays, to think in terms of what I've gained rather than what I've lost. Plus I don't miss that 50 pounds I lost, either.