GMOs

Options
12346»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi there concerned,

In my scientific opinion (I do not have my degree yet, but it is a subject about which I have done a lot of research):–

* There is no evidence that I have come across that genetically modified organisms are any more harmful to humans that eat them than any 'natural' or artificially bred strains of crop. There is a lot of terribly unscientific trashing of GMO, not all of it is unfounded but a high proportion is biased either way.

* It is reasonable to assume that pharmaceutical and petrochemical companies have an interest in continued use of pesticides and GMO by producers.

* The pesticides used alongside GMOs such as Glyphosate etc. (in GMO 'systems' to be used in higher concentrations) have been demostrated in laboratory experiments conclusively to cause endocrine disruption in many species, and likely to have a significant effect in mammals such as ourselves, especially those that eat other animals (accumulation effect in tissues).

So, in terms of advice, it is VERY VERY important to wash fruit to remove pesticides (IDK how feasible it is to remove these chemicals from meats, I would hazard a guess that it is nearly impossible). And that articles of food such as corn, maize, wheat from GMO sources will likely have high concentrations of these demonstrably biologically disruptive chemicals within.

Your best bet is to go organic *where practical for your budget* and where possible to tighten regulations on the use of these chemicals on crops. (At the moment it is essentially a free-for-all for profiteers).

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
    what research?
    what degree? A PHD?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    "Your best bet is to go organic *where practical for your budget* and where possible to tighten regulations on the use of these chemicals on crops. (At the moment it is essentially a free-for-all for profiteers). "

Absolutely spot on. People should be more concerned about this than the GMO bogeyman. I tend to choose organic, but I am not kidding myself either. Organic can mean a lot of things in the marketplace.

Organic is a term used to get you to spend more money on your food. There is virtually no regulation on organic food production and if anyone does get caught they usually just lose their certification and a most get a miniscule fine. The industry pretty much polices itself. I'm in vineyard management and we run some organic properties. I apply for certification, they send me the paperwork, 3 years later they come out and look around and I'm certified. Never see a soul again. It's totally a joke but the consumer is willing to pay the money so, hey, why not?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "Your best bet is to go organic *where practical for your budget* and where possible to tighten regulations on the use of these chemicals on crops. (At the moment it is essentially a free-for-all for profiteers). "

Absolutely spot on. People should be more concerned about this than the GMO bogeyman. I tend to choose organic, but I am not kidding myself either. Organic can mean a lot of things in the marketplace.

Organic is a term used to get you to spend more money on your food. There is virtually no regulation on organic food production and if anyone does get caught they usually just lose their certification and a most get a miniscule fine. The industry pretty much polices itself. I'm in vineyard management and we run some organic properties. I apply for certification, they send me the paperwork, 3 years later they come out and look around and I'm certified. Never see a soul again. It's totally a joke but the consumer is willing to pay the money so, hey, why not?

I hear ya'. I wish we would put half of the energy we spend on worrying about Monsanto to holding producers feet to the fire on this,