Does this drive anyone else crazy?!

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My dream is to inspire a beautiful union of overall fitness and literacy. I believe that this image is a start.

LhNe1m1.png
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Oh my, this drives me insane as well lol. I have a friend that refuses to note the difference between "to" and "too", also "your" and "you're"... She claims she passed English with honors. I call shenanigans lolol.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Oh my, this drives me insane as well lol. I have a friend that refuses to note the difference between "to" and "too", also "your" and "you're"... She claims she passed English with honors. I call shenanigans lolol.

Definitely shenanigans! Excellent call.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Lose VS. Loose ~ Why is this so hard for most people, it seems?

I don't get it. :huh:
    Some people are dyslexic. For some people, English isn't their first language. Some people make typos. Some people just aren't very good at spelling and/or don't care. Bad grammar is something that bugs me from time to time, but I generally find more pressing things to get stressed/judgemental about. :ohwell:

(... and if lose/loose bothers you that much, you might want to stay away from these boards.)

Totally this! How often it has happened to me English speaking started ***** about my English, which is not perfect as a Dutch Swede. Try our language and see if you can do it as well as I can speak yours!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't really ask for an explanation of why people do it, still drives me nuts regardless. And don't worry guys, it's not like it ruins my day when someone does this, so I'm not 'wasting' energy or whateva. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

Chillax dudes/ladybros. :glasses:

Bottoms up, Chevy & Stephen! :drinker:

There are times when it matters - job applications, Uni assignments, formal letters.

Chatting on forums - not so much.

Mind you, someone who then writes 'whateva' is rather like a kettle talking to a pot.....
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Makes me very crazy! Also what makes me crazy is when they say HALP

Wtf is Halp? do they not know how to spell Help?
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Makes me very crazy! Also what makes me crazy is when they say HALP

Wtf is Halp? do they not know how to spell Help?

Haha, they're just using internet "lingo" when they say "halp".
    It can be fun to talk to people like that at times, but on a regular basis, it gets really irritating.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    qMtkLwZ.jpg
    that's awesome. lol

r4iWOJ7.gif
    this made me snort-laugh LOL
  • paperpudding
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't really ask for an explanation of why people do it, still drives me nuts regardless.

Umm, yes you did; "Why is this so hard for most people, it seems?" were your exact words.
    The word 'Why' denotes asking for an explanation to me.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    In answer to your question - No it doesn't drive me crazy - but sanctimonious posts about other people's grammar and spelling do.
  • michellemybelll
    Options
    dedicated to many!

8vxWRWc.jpg
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

Some people are dyslexic. For some people, English isn't their first language. Some people make typos. Some people just aren't very good at spelling and/or don't care. Bad grammar is something that bugs me from time to time, but I generally find more pressing things to get stressed/judgemental about. :ohwell:

(... and if lose/loose bothers you that much, you might want to stay away from these boards.)

Totally this! How often it has happened to me English speaking started ***** about my English, which is not perfect as a Dutch Swede. Try our language and see if you can do it as well as I can speak yours!

Agreed. English is hard as s**t to learn for a non-Native speaker or anyone with a learning disability. As an English teacher, I can attest to the fact that a large number of the rules are inconsistent and don't even make any damn sense. So I applaud anyone from a foreign country who can manage to get a decent grasp of the language. My problem is with people who have been speaking English since they first learned to talk but insist on writing and speaking foolishly anyway because they think it's cute. Way too much of that goes on.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Agreed. English is hard as s**t to learn for a non-Native speaker or anyone with a learning disability. As an English teacher, I can attest to the fact that a large number of the rules are inconsistent and don't even make any damn sense. So I applaud anyone from a foreign country who can manage to get a decent grasp of the language. My problem is with people who have been speaking English since they first learned to talk but insist on writing and speaking foolishly anyway because they think it's cute. Way too much of that goes on.

Why, thank you ;) It took a lot of hard work LOL.
    It irks me when native English speakers refuse to learn it properly.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

YoO MaN, I ToTaLlY gEt WuT U MeAn (<==== that kind of typing really is annoying, I do not even take the effort to read it)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

Why, thank you ;) It took a lot of hard work LOL.
    It irks me when native English speakers refuse to learn it properly.

:smile:
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You have a friend WHO refuses to note those differences.

Boy oh boy do I love when grammar and spelling nazis are as imperfect as those they criticize.

I do enjoy irony. There's so much of it in threads like these.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    YoO MaN, I ToTaLlY gEt WuT U MeAn (<==== that kind of typing really is annoying, I do not even take the effort to read it)

NOOO!! Set it on fire and hit it with a stick, repeatedly!! lol
  • michellemybelll
    Options
    well this sort've belongs here.

UScLsOc.jpg
  • losing4799
    Options
    some people just didn't pay attention in school, i'm not about to hound them/be angry at them not knowing something, so I leave it alone for the most part :frown:
This discussion has been closed.