Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Awful weight loss advice on Facebook

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    What's that supposed to mean? Some of that advice could actually be helpful. There's dumb-a** comments too, but I think that she's over-reacting. The post about not eating carbs after 3 isn't a bad one, for example. The body metabolizes food faster/better early than in the late evening so that may work for some people. Also, detoxing for a week isn't a bad thing. It cleans out your system and can jump start a clean diet. THe only posts I find truly stupid are the ones talking about pills, eating one food for a week, or anything super drastic that is never going to work long-run.

Please link a scholarly, peer reviewed article that supports any of this

Most of these are theories that certain people have profited off of, but okay. http://www.csulb.edu/~druz/wesconemb/BioImmune.pdf It's an edu which says "Heavy metal detoxification has been shown to decrease cancer mortality
    by 90%" and lists several side effects of too much heavy metal such as early aging. During the study, it references juice several times and diet supplements. There's no vitamin included in those that plain juice won't have.

The only mention of juice I was able to find was saying that the phosphosolids capsule was consumed in juice. The results are not attributed to the juice
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Don't knock the magic unicorn space princesses!
  • Mutant13
    The piece in question is also a decade old?
  • Mutant13
    Anyway it's bedtime here. Later taters,
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.

You don't need to 'detox' your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. Adequate water intake is all that is necessary to the process that your body performs by itself.
    What are all these 'toxins' we keep hearing about anyway? Can anyone actually name them?
    And how exactly is blended spinach juice supposed to help 'cleanse' your body? Explain the actual biological process that would occour.
    How would eliminating solids from your diet assist in the removal of supposed toxins from your body? Wouldn't the minimised roughage and bulk in fact inhibit the digestive process? The thing your body does to get rid of things it doesn't want?

The while concept of 'detoxing' is flawed, unsupported by evidence and frankly dangerous.

I get your point, and it's true that the kidneys are meant for detox, but if you've been eating junk food all your life and/or not been drinking well for years, it won't work as well and the person may want to speed the cleanse up. Most foods have additives/ are processed/ etc and would therefore have more toxins than blended spinach juice. Also, there are many kinds of detoxes and not all of them involve just spinach. The key concept is to give your digestive system a rest by not taking in any heavy foods or stuff that's not good for the body while also feeding it a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and other "good" things. Biologically, under such strain, the digestive system won't be doing it's job as well, which will take a toll on the body. The organs become overloaded with toxin, which leads to acne, less fat loss, constipation, etc. An example of this is how vegans often claim to have more energy and vegan teens have almost no acne (I'd know because I am vegan). When you take in only liquids that are fruit/veg, they go quickly through your system, cleaning it, and giving it a break. The body recovers and you become healthier. Obviously, I'm not a bio professor so I don't know the minute detail, but that's the gist.

On "toxins," those are anything harmful to the body. Look at the food labels in your kitchen and I'd be surprised if you could pronounce everything. Every additive, pesticide, chemical flavoring, and food dye isn't good for you. I think we can all agree on that. Obviously, it's impossible not to take in any at all, but the idea is to clean your body a bit every now and then.

You talk about "roughage and bulk" and how it'll only "inhibit the digestive process," but foods that are too heavy or bulky only strain the stomach and are hard to digest. Juice, on the other hand, barely requires any digestion. The body has been adapted to digest and detox over several millenia, which means that unless you eat like a caveman, it won't be perfect. The things we put in our foods today are beyond our bodies capabilities. Also, our body is ethnicity specific, which is why if I, for example, eat a lot of Indian food my stomach will hurt, but my friend's won't. Not all the foods we eat today are able to be digested well by the body.

You say that there is no evidence and that it's "dangerous," but if there's not evidence, how can you know that it's dangerous? Hundreds of people have detoxed and it's worked out fine for them. There's a lot of personal reports saying that it's been good for them (I can vouch that detox is beneficial as well). Obviously, there are people for whom this won't work, but you have to take into account that our bodies are all different and that there's no set rules for how to detox. Everyone does it differently so it's not going to have the same results necessarily. Also, there's scientific proof that toxin can lead to cancer and major illnesses, so getting rid of that can't possibly have a negative effect. Overall, excessive detox will be harmful, but for a few days to a week is fine.

I can't debate this properly with you if you're going to use flawed information. Anecdotes are not science. There are is no scientific evidence for a detox being beneficial.

I disagree with the notion that all food additives are bad for you. Many chemical stabilisers that are added to your food reduce the rates of bacteria and infection. Just because something isn't natural does not automatically mean it is bad for you.

I'm still struggling to understand how the biological process of a 'detox' is supposed to occour. You say that the liquids go through your organs and 'cleanse' them. How? What is actually happening in the GI tract on a chemical level that changes your bodies apparent 'toxicity'?

'Vouching' does not constitute science. Hundreds of people vouch for homeopathy, ancient aliens and the concept of racial superiority. That does not result in any of these things being fact.

Racial superiority and the like has nothing to do with detox. Have you ever seen anyone say "because I now believe that my race is superior, I am now healthier and you can see this in aspect A, B, and C?" Hell no. My evidence isn't flawed. Not all additives are bad, but most of them are.

There is little scientific work on detoxes, so you can't use that to point to either side. Furthermore, I do not pretend to be an expert in the field of biology and therefore cannot give you an outline of what happens in the GI tract. All I know is that when I detox, I feel better, my body runs smoother, and many people who have also detoxed would agree.

You spend so much time debating my evidence, but why don't you bring up your own? Do you have evidence that says additive are good? You also haven't said anything about the progressive effect of toxins on the body and how logically and historically is makes the system run worse. Why don't you cite something that proves that bulky, heavy food is better for the digestive system than juice? Also, you made the claim that detox is dangerous, but how would you know? I've detoxed and I'm fine. Unless you've actually done a detox, arguing about the dangers of doing so seems invalid. You come across as someone who thinks they know a lot about how to or how not to lose weight, but are you qualified to make jump assumptions without any sources or past experience and then request such of me?

Sorry if that was harsh-sounding. I don't mean to offend or make rude statements.
  • staystrong_314159
    The piece in question is also a decade old?

The human body won't change over a decade. If detox worked then, it'll work now. Also, they were taking supplements, which contains the same stuff as found in juice.

Were you ever a debator by any chance? I do Policy and Original Oratory :D
  • Mutant13
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.

You don't need to 'detox' your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. Adequate water intake is all that is necessary to the process that your body performs by itself.
    What are all these 'toxins' we keep hearing about anyway? Can anyone actually name them?
    And how exactly is blended spinach juice supposed to help 'cleanse' your body? Explain the actual biological process that would occour.
    How would eliminating solids from your diet assist in the removal of supposed toxins from your body? Wouldn't the minimised roughage and bulk in fact inhibit the digestive process? The thing your body does to get rid of things it doesn't want?

The while concept of 'detoxing' is flawed, unsupported by evidence and frankly dangerous.

I get your point, and it's true that the kidneys are meant for detox, but if you've been eating junk food all your life and/or not been drinking well for years, it won't work as well and the person may want to speed the cleanse up. Most foods have additives/ are processed/ etc and would therefore have more toxins than blended spinach juice. Also, there are many kinds of detoxes and not all of them involve just spinach. The key concept is to give your digestive system a rest by not taking in any heavy foods or stuff that's not good for the body while also feeding it a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and other "good" things. Biologically, under such strain, the digestive system won't be doing it's job as well, which will take a toll on the body. The organs become overloaded with toxin, which leads to acne, less fat loss, constipation, etc. An example of this is how vegans often claim to have more energy and vegan teens have almost no acne (I'd know because I am vegan). When you take in only liquids that are fruit/veg, they go quickly through your system, cleaning it, and giving it a break. The body recovers and you become healthier. Obviously, I'm not a bio professor so I don't know the minute detail, but that's the gist.

On "toxins," those are anything harmful to the body. Look at the food labels in your kitchen and I'd be surprised if you could pronounce everything. Every additive, pesticide, chemical flavoring, and food dye isn't good for you. I think we can all agree on that. Obviously, it's impossible not to take in any at all, but the idea is to clean your body a bit every now and then.

You talk about "roughage and bulk" and how it'll only "inhibit the digestive process," but foods that are too heavy or bulky only strain the stomach and are hard to digest. Juice, on the other hand, barely requires any digestion. The body has been adapted to digest and detox over several millenia, which means that unless you eat like a caveman, it won't be perfect. The things we put in our foods today are beyond our bodies capabilities. Also, our body is ethnicity specific, which is why if I, for example, eat a lot of Indian food my stomach will hurt, but my friend's won't. Not all the foods we eat today are able to be digested well by the body.

You say that there is no evidence and that it's "dangerous," but if there's not evidence, how can you know that it's dangerous? Hundreds of people have detoxed and it's worked out fine for them. There's a lot of personal reports saying that it's been good for them (I can vouch that detox is beneficial as well). Obviously, there are people for whom this won't work, but you have to take into account that our bodies are all different and that there's no set rules for how to detox. Everyone does it differently so it's not going to have the same results necessarily. Also, there's scientific proof that toxin can lead to cancer and major illnesses, so getting rid of that can't possibly have a negative effect. Overall, excessive detox will be harmful, but for a few days to a week is fine.

I can't debate this properly with you if you're going to use flawed information. Anecdotes are not science. There are is no scientific evidence for a detox being beneficial.

I disagree with the notion that all food additives are bad for you. Many chemical stabilisers that are added to your food reduce the rates of bacteria and infection. Just because something isn't natural does not automatically mean it is bad for you.

I'm still struggling to understand how the biological process of a 'detox' is supposed to occour. You say that the liquids go through your organs and 'cleanse' them. How? What is actually happening in the GI tract on a chemical level that changes your bodies apparent 'toxicity'?

'Vouching' does not constitute science. Hundreds of people vouch for homeopathy, ancient aliens and the concept of racial superiority. That does not result in any of these things being fact.

Racial superiority and the like has nothing to do with detox. Have you ever seen anyone say "because I now believe that my race is superior, I am now healthier and you can see this in aspect A, B, and C?" Hell no. My evidence isn't flawed. Not all additives are bad, but most of them are.

There is little scientific work on detoxes, so you can't use that to point to either side. Furthermore, I do not pretend to be an expert in the field of biology and therefore cannot give you an outline of what happens in the GI tract. All I know is that when I detox, I feel better, my body runs smoother, and many people who have also detoxed would agree.

You spend so much time debating my evidence, but why don't you bring up your own? Do you have evidence that says additive are good? You also haven't said anything about the progressive effect of toxins on the body and how logically and historically is makes the system run worse. Why don't you cite something that proves that bulky, heavy food is better for the digestive system than juice? Also, you made the claim that detox is dangerous, but how would you know? I've detoxed and I'm fine. Unless you've actually done a detox, arguing about the dangers of doing so seems invalid. You come across as someone who thinks they know a lot about how to or how not to lose weight, but are you qualified to make jump assumptions without any sources or past experience and then request such of me?

Sorry if that was harsh-sounding. I don't mean to offend or make rude statements.

That comparison is in reference to the practice of attempting to substitute researched evidence with anecdotal evidence or mass belief. Just because many people claim something to be true dies not make it fact.

I ask you to present evidence because that is how burden of proof works, if you make a claim you need to provide evidence to support it. My counter claim that there is no scientific evidence for self administered detox program's can only be refuted with said scientific evidence. You could say that all people are actually made out of spaghetti, if I say 'prove it' that onus is on you.

My issue with detox programs being dangerous is in line with the fact that all liquid diets are lacking in important components such as fibre, fats and quite often sufficient calories. The effects of which are well known but should you be unaware of them I would be happy to provide further information. I have some work from an epidemiologist on my PC about the futility of detox diets which I can link tomorrow if you like.

In answer to your other question, I don't do debate. I am just a med science student who likes to argue
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    I once knew a woman who detoxed and colon cleansed weekly. :huh:
    she was thin as a rail and a hypochondriac to boot. :wink:
    her main topic of conversation was her colon. :yawn: Boring as all get out.
    she was afraid of all kinds of food; hence the "thin as a rail" since she didn't eat!
    And did I say I "ONCE" knew her? LOL so glad I'm not in her sphere anymore.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I have news for you. There is also terrible advice on MFP.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Imagine that, poor weight loss tips on Facebook.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Is there a test to determine if I am a magic unicorn space princess? It would be interesting to know before I start my "Leftover Halloween Candy Diet"

This is the test: Eat a lot of food. Log half of it on MFP. Gain a bunch of weight. Then say oh look! I have a body that defies physics because I gained all the fats even though I ate at a deficit! Why is this happening????

I think the Halloween Candy Diet works well with this test. Remember, don't log all that candy, that is crucial! LOL
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    What's that supposed to mean? Some of that advice could actually be helpful. There's dumb-a** comments too, but I think that she's over-reacting. The post about not eating carbs after 3 isn't a bad one, for example. The body metabolizes food faster/better early than in the late evening so that may work for some people. Also, detoxing for a week isn't a bad thing. It cleans out your system and can jump start a clean diet. THe only posts I find truly stupid are the ones talking about pills, eating one food for a week, or anything super drastic that is never going to work long-run.

Most of these are theories that certain people have profited off of, but okay. http://www.csulb.edu/~druz/wesconemb/BioImmune.pdf It's an edu which says "Heavy metal detoxification has been shown to decrease cancer mortality
    by 90%" and lists several side effects of too much heavy metal such as early aging. During the study, it references juice several times and diet supplements. There's no vitamin included in those that plain juice won't have.

You do realize that a good portion of the "heavy metals" we ingest are from our WATER, right? Including the water that is used to make most fruit juices. This is why water has to be treated before used in fish tanks or given to exotic pets. It's the metals added to treat it. Even most bottled water has it, and no your Brita filter does not get rid of it.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Dont eat peanut butter. (You can have it when you pry it from my zombified fingrs).

Dont eat fruit. (See above).

Dont eat after 8pm. (Is that central or mountain time?)

Sweating makes you lose fat. (I live in tx. I would be -26% bodyfat by now.)

Dont eat bread. (You mean unless its homemade, right?)

Diet soda counts as water. (O rly?)
  • staystrong_314159

You do realize that a good portion of the "heavy metals" we ingest are from our WATER, right? Including the water that is used to make most fruit juices. This is why water has to be treated before used in fish tanks or given to exotic pets. It's the metals added to treat it. Even most bottled water has it, and no your Brita filter does not get rid of it.

Yes, that's why detoxes are home made most of the time. Just drinking orange juice for a day won't do jack **** because it's all crap. Usually, the person buys fresh produce and blends it up how they want.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member

Heavy metal poisoning and junk food detoxification is like comparing an eating battery acid and an apple. You're talking about poisoning compared to a bad diet, two completely unrelated topics. Hardly a debatable topic.

I've 'detoxed' by drastically changing my food choices from what I'll call junk (highly processed, high fat and high sugar foods) to anti-inflammatory foods and I was violently ill for weeks while my body adjusted but not because I was detoxing. Let's be realistic, all the bacteria in my gut changed and it made me seriously ill. My liver and kidney function did not change because it was monitored by doctors. So drastically changing the chemistry in your digestive system typically will make one sick, not the opposite. Adding one or two healthy drinks is not drastically changing the digestive system. Just my anecdotal evidence backed up by my medical records.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Is there a test to determine if I am a magic unicorn space princess? It would be interesting to know before I start my "Leftover Halloween Candy Diet"

This is the test: Eat a lot of food. Log half of it on MFP. Gain a bunch of weight. Then say oh look! I have a body that defies physics because I gained all the fats even though I ate at a deficit! Why is this happening????

I think the Halloween Candy Diet works well with this test. Remember, don't log all that candy, that is crucial! LOL

Sweet! So what you are saying is: eating one bag of candy bars = one fun size bar logged

I am so on my way to being a princess! Thanks for the advice.

(Sorry about the extra post. I am on the Liquor Store Cleanse so I hit the wrong button.)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    You don't have to go on Facebook to find awful weight loss advice. MFP is full of it.
  • staystrong_314159
    It makes you sick for a while if it's drastic because your body needs to adjust and get rid of all the bad stuff, but in the long run, you'll feel better.

On an ending note, since there isn't a lot of scientific evidence on detoxing, all we have are theories. For me and everyone I know, detoxing has been great and I can logically assume why that is so and what happens to make it be like that. However, I'm neither omniscient nor omnipresent and I don't pretend that my version is necessarily correct. If detoxing works for you, do it; if you've tried, then don't. However, I don't like it when people bash detoxing when they've never even tried it.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    OMG, the stupid some people sprout...it really, truly makes me sad....*sad face is sad*
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I've had to go in and school them.

Cue the special snowflake replies of
    EVERY HUMAN BODY IS DIFFERENT, THE CONVENTIONAL METHOD THAT ADHERES TO SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLES DOES NOT WORK FOR ME BECAUSE I AM A MAGIC UNICORN SPACE PRINCESS.

lmao exactly.

"I can only eat low carb with no gluten and somehow I can eat Burger King though, anything from BK is totally good for my special body type"