Why do people insist on giving (bad) advice?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My sister came to me and told me she had heard about a miraculous new way to lose weight instantly and told me about the "sweat suit."
    I told her that it would be a waste of hard earned money and was a bunch of crap, she'd just lose water weight and would gain it back as soon as she drank water.
    She then asked me what I suggested. I explained calories in/calories out. She says "see my way makes way more sense than that, that one sounds like the scam!"
    Seriously? How? There's nothing to sell!

Sigh* I gave up
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    different things work for different people......

Oh, really? So not everyone is subject to the laws of thermodynamics and calories in/calories out? :huh: What an interesting world you must live in. *slowly back away*

I think they're just pointing out that there's more to health than calories in/calories out. Like for instance, if you cut calories too far you stop losing weight. That defies the basic calories in/calories out (because there's more to the story). And different approaches will work for different people; some people work best with a daily treat, others weekly, and some no "treats" at all because it doesn't work for them.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My sister came to me and told me she had heard about a miraculous new way to lose weight instantly and told me about the "sweat suit."
    I told her that it would be a waste of hard earned money and was a bunch of crap, she'd just lose water weight and would gain it back as soon as she drank water.
    She then asked me what I suggested. I explained calories in/calories out. She says "see my way makes way more sense than that, that one sounds like the scam!"
    Seriously? How? There's nothing to sell!

Sigh* I gave up

It boggles the mind. Even as I was gaining weight, I knew exactly what was happening. I knew I was eating too many calories for the amount of activity I had in my routine. It's not a mystery. It's not a trick. It's mindboggling how uninformed many people are. And it makes you really wonder how they missed all this information during elementary, junior high and high school.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh, really? So not everyone is subject to the laws of thermodynamics and calories in/calories out? :huh: What an interesting world you must live in. *slowly back away*

I think they're just pointing out that there's more to health than calories in/calories out. Like for instance, if you cut calories too far you stop losing weight. That defies the basic calories in/calories out (because there's more to the story). And different approaches will work for different people; some people work best with a daily treat, others weekly, and some no "treats" at all because it doesn't work for them.
    I'd say it's more like "more than one way to skin a cat." One can cut calories by counting them, or eliminating things. Both can create a caloric deficit. Different strokes for different folks. I never counted while losing. I counted (here) after maintaining for a decade. And determined that counting (right now) isn't for me...
    creating a deficit is what's key. How we do it is left to the individual to decide. The OP's post reminds us that folks are adamant about shoving THEIR approach (aka the only right approach) down the throats of others.
  • KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options
    50 lbs of weight loss is great... But you really should reduce your protein intake. After all, the human body is 70% water, so I get 70% of my calories from liquids... Coke, olive oil, milkshakes, and pork chop smoothies

:drinker: :bigsmile:

**^^THIS!!!

Hahahaha. :laugh:

Great job on your weightloss and thanks for posting this, I have really enjoyed reading all of the responses. lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Because they think it's good advice.
  • KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options

I'd say it's more like "more than one way to skin a cat." One can cut calories by counting them, or eliminating things. Both can create a caloric deficit. Different strokes for different folks. I never counted while losing. I counted (here) after maintaining for a decade. And determined that counting (right now) isn't for me...
    creating a deficit is what's key. How we do it is left to the individual to decide. The OP's post reminds us that folks are adamant about shoving THEIR approach (aka the only right approach) down the throats of others.

Hmm... This could be true but I'm not sure things turned out so great for that cat... :happy:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Hmm... This could be true but I'm not sure things turned out so great for that cat... :happy:
    It never does.:frown:
  • bc92487
    bc92487 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tell them to shove it. If you wanted two cents you would look down while walking in a parking lot!! You're kicking *kitten*!! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First - great job OP!

Second - Dunning-Kruger effect.

From Wiki:
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.[1]

I MUST commit this to memory and share it often :laugh: