How do you avoid a pink world if you have a little girl?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
So found out it looks like for sure we are having a girl. I'm excited..Yay! However, I'm not excited about the future prospect of a sickly pink Pepto-Bismol world. I went shopping and every thing I looked at was pink,pink,pink. The only clothes I found exciting were the brightly colored little boy jammies with the happy zoo animals.

If you have a little girl were you able to avoid the monotone princess world or did you have to succumb to it's gender sick clutches?

Nothing against pink really it's a fine color on it's own.

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you're doomed to a world of princess, glitter and pink. ;)
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons we didn't find out the gender with either of our pregnancies. Otherwise just tell people you don't want pink and hopefully they will respect that.,j
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    You could try to ease her into a more "country" lifestyle, where the biggest thing isn't pink, but flowers.
    Flowers such as marigolds, sunflowers, etc. They aren't pink, so perhaps you could lean towards that world instead :)
    Most girls will want dolls, but the dolls don't necessarily HAVE to have pink clothes ;)

Congrats, by the way!! :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's impossible.

Resistance is futile.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    It's impossible.

Resistance is futile.
    I never liked pink as a child. I was into red and black. ;)
    Edit: AND lime green. Can't forget my lime <3.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Good luck avoiding the inevitable world of pink. Even if you chose to have a more gender neutral color theme in her wardrobe and room, family and friends will bombard you with headbands, dresses and bloomers. But believe me when I say all that adorable stuff will grow on you. You should check out potterybarnkids.com. It's pricey, but the girl things are beautiful in a classic, simplistic sort of way. And congrats on the baby girl!!!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    My girls have very few pink things. I let my oldest choose it if she wants but thankfully she is really into green.
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hate little girls clothing. I feel the same way about pink.

It took a while to find girls clothing/stores that I like, but I dress my 5 year old as a mini me- more of a classic, clean lines feel. Like me, her wardrobe is 80% black, white and grey.

I get compliments on her clothing all the time. It's tricky because people give so much clothing as gifts. Only buy things you love.
    Good luck:)
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    img3c.jpg
    Girly, but not frilly or over the top
    img62c.jpg
    Gender neutral

Both are from PBKids
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I almost never wore pink as a kid. I could rock at Star Wars t-shirt or a Chicago Bears jersey just as well as any boy could. When I look at pictures of me as a young kid, I was often wearing dresses but they were gingham blue or yellow or white...rarely were they frilly pink. I'm told I refused to wear any pink from the time I was old enough to voice my opinion!

We don't know the gender of our baby yet, and have managed to stock a closet with some pretty neat clothes. Yes, there are lots of greens and yellows in there. But oatmeal, grey, navy, red (all gender neutral, classic colors) as well as sports and pop culture stuff too. (C'mon the "My Uncle Rocks" with a guitar on them are a classic!)

You've got a few choices... have fun with it and put her in what you want her to wear.....learn to sew so you can have cute clothes in the colors of your choice.....or give in a have a princess party :)
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Not everything has to be pink. Check out different stores. My little girl is awesome. I think she has the right mixture of girly girl and the right balance of being a tom boy. Your little one may decide as she gets older that she doesn't like the pink world either. Introduce her to new and different ideas and you wont be stuck in a pepto bismol world. I have to agree though to much pink and I feel like the walls are closing in on me. Negotiate some things with her for example mine wanted cowgirl boots cuz you know all the other little girls have pink ones. So I said yes to the boots, but no to the color. She got brown instead and they are super cute on her. Congrats on it being a girl. You will find that its awesome to do the girly things with her and teach her how to be a lady.

<
    her and her boots the other day. She's a mess after doing a hedge maze and playing at the park with her face painted
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's impossible.

Resistance is futile.
    I never liked pink as a child. I was into red and black. ;)
    Edit: AND lime green. Can't forget my lime <3.

There's still time to convert you to the pink side!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    there is lavender and purple. and red. it's not all pink.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are doing a nursery, but Beatrix Potter is white, light yellow and light green. We did not find out for first child, but thought it was a girl. Turned out to be a boy. We find out for 2nd one 3 years later. Needed to know if we needed to unpack or go shopping. Another boy, phew, unpacking it was. We got tons of presents before first one was born. Only 1 pink dress. Reset were the colors we picked. If you let people know what your colors are, most will get the hint.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are doing a nursery, but Beatrix Potter is white, light yellow and light green. We did not find out for first child, but thought it was a girl. Turned out to be a boy. We find out for 2nd one 3 years later. Needed to know if we needed to unpack or go shopping. Another boy, phew, unpacking it was. We got tons of presents before first one was born. Only 1 pink dress. Reset were the colors we picked. If you let people know what your colors are, most will get the hint.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my sister stitched a purple bow onto a grey skull onesy.

If you buy it yourself, there are a variety of options. If other people insist that your little girl has to be a pretty. pretty, princess, there's always bleach and fabric dyes.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Have a little girl like me who hates pink. :P
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of cute purple things when I had my twins. It depends on where you look I guess.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes yellow and green. And purple sometimes. But not pink.

You'll end up with pink gifts, but there are a lot of non-pink options out there for almost everything.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with using gender neutral or boy stuff. Also, it gets better as they get older. I was folding my 7-year-old's stuff today and realized she has a lot more non-pink than she used to and pink is her favorite color.