How do you avoid a pink world if you have a little girl?

Options

Replies

• alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! How exciting for you!! There are tons of other colours out there for a little girl, but it's true - princess pink is the most popular colour for girls!! I had two boys, then I had my daughter...I couldn't WAIT to have something pink in my house for her! As much as we like to think we can get gender neutrality, it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy something for boys with pink on it. Anyone agree?
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Congratulations I have four granddaughters. At first everything is lots if oink but asctgey grow they form their own opinions and many timesckije jeans and aeripostke clothes and you will look back in those pink days that don't appear bad in hindsight
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    there is lavender and purple. and red. it's not all pink.

^^^this is what i did with all 3 of my girls, hated pink and now i buy pink pink pink for my grandaughter muahaha
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I buy my niece 'boy' clothes all the time, lol. I have a boy and they swap clothes. She loves them. There are a lot more options when you get above newborn/infant. Around 1 year I noticed girl clothes start branching out a little. Cute super hero tshirts or other 'boy' t-shirts, jeans, and a bow = adorable.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Aww congrats on having a girl! As many others have posted do what you like colour wise. Pastels are still pretty popular as are neutral creams & so forth. Pink isn't as bad as you think though :happy:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My girls have boys clothes. And a lot of their stuff isn't really pink. Not sure what variety/options you have where you live but here it's not too bad.

I was in the shops yesterday. A Mum was wanting to buy her son (he was about3/4) a tiger costume but he wanted some pink thing (can't recall what it was) & she said 'no he couldn't have it because it was pink & for girls' what the...................!

And congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    il_340x270.449327617_pjde.jpg
    il_570xN.328534905.jpg
    Realtree_Girls_Sash_Camo.jpg
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
    There is nothing wrong with A)pink and B)being female.
    I have 4 girls, each of them are very feminine, and 2 of them liked pink more than the other 2.
    While you may not purchase a lot of that color, your friends/relatives might.....I asked my relatives to only give money toward the children, not gifts, and no giftcards either. It's great being able to customize to each child's needs/wants.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for people in stores to refer to your daughter as 'he' whenever she isn't wearing pink, especially if she doesn't have much hair. We get this all the time, even on occasions when she is wearing dresses (not that I care).

To be fair, some people are just idiots. One time when my daughter was an infant we went out and she got called a boy. She actually was in all pink that day, including the blanket covering her legs and the headband on her head.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My daughter was never into pink. Very much into green, but not pink. Don't like pink? Don't buy pink stuff. I'm pretty sure most girls are conditioned to like pink as babies because everyone surrounds them with pink all the time. Never did with my daughter, and she doesn't hate pink, but it's just another of a million different colors to her.
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Black is the new pink.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Well when I was a kid I never had anything pink. I dunno if my mum bought me boy stuff or what, but we got through unscathed :D

ETA: now that I think about it there was a lot of purple instead xD
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Shhh... just left it happen.

cat8.gif

D'awwwwwww
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Pink is probably the most sought out option sadly, however it is not impossible to find other colors. My daughter wears pink, but her wardrobe has a good mix of greens, blues, browns, red, purple..... its all in there. It also helps that her daddy like colors in his own wardrobe, so he doesn't gravitate to pink all the time unless the outfit just happens to be cute.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    So found out it looks like for sure we are having a girl. I'm excited..Yay! However, I'm not excited about the future prospect of a sickly pink Pepto-Bismol world. I went shopping and every thing I looked at was pink,pink,pink. The only clothes I found exciting were the brightly colored little boy jammies with the happy zoo animals.

If you have a little girl were you able to avoid the monotone princess world or did you have to succumb to it's gender sick clutches?

Nothing against pink really it's a fine color on it's own.

I have a daughter who's nearly 2.5. I think she wants to be a boy which is great! She rarely wears pink, and doesn't often wear dresses, although today she wore a white sweater dress with blue and red stripes, and purple tights. The shoes she has she chose herself - grey with dinosaurs on! No interest in girly ones.

She has a 4 year old brother and is into everything he likes - trains, cars, lego, jumping and climbing, going on her scooter etc. She's a little daredevil and she's so independent. She has one doll and toy pram that was given to her, and the pram is mainly used to push Lego and nerf guns in!

My MIL likes to buy her flouncy dresses, but she never wears them!

Just bring her up with gender neutral toys. I live in England so we have a different choice of clothes. I've no idea what shops you have for baby clothes.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I tried to avoid pink by using any other colour that wasn't overly boyish...but dd made her own mind up and it all became pink and sparkles as soon as she could voice her preferences. I have now embraced my pink side but dd started to diversify again at around 4 yrs.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    So don't buy pink crap. You're having a healthy child. Is it really that big of a problem?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I wear more pink now then I ever did as a child.

I now have nothing against the color when used as an accent color. I would have some pink in there, but also use other colors.

As the child gets older they will let you know what they prefer.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I went with my roommate to try to find things for her future niece/nephew (The parents didn't want to find out before the birth) so we hit up Target a lot. They have some good unisex stuff that is neither pink nor blue
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lilac, mint green, yellow, sherbert orange

You are never doomed to pink! :)