How do you avoid a pink world if you have a little girl?

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You can get your baby anything you want! Get her some batman garb! There are no rules that say you HAVE to get pink. When I have kids, if I have a girl, I'm not conforming to the gender role BS.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    enNwfkQ.jpg

You can't avoid it. When I was a little girl, the color pink and anything to do with Madonna pretty much ruled my life. It drove my dad crazy, but he loves me. lol.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Look around on line for different stores (might help you find a better shop locally, too). We did end up with a lot of purples and pinks, but also some beautiful greens and blues. There are some super cute baby girl clothes out there, that aren't all pink. But it does take a little more looking sometimes.

I'm a fan of The Children's Place. I mean, how cute is this?

2012121_546.jpg
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Well just buy boys clothes and girls clothes. Get a bit of each. Try her will all sorts of toys, don't limit to barbie and all that other 'girly' stuff. Until she can decide for her own and then bring her shopping with you and let her choose what she wants. :) That's what i'd do. They anything she does will be her own choice
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    You can get your baby anything you want! Get her some batman garb! There are no rules that say you HAVE to get pink. When I have kids, if I have a girl, I'm not conforming to the gender role BS.

I was watching a show once where these girls bought a black tutu and little black biker boots for a baby girl. It was pretty cool!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    http://www.sourismini.com/index.aspx (You may need to select the language at the top of the screen, I think the default is french)

This place has some great stuff. (They are usually out of my price range, but I still love the styles).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is REALLY hard. That said, you can work around it you just have to look hard. I do not have a girl, but I purposely buy gifts for little girls that are not pink! Our neighbor's just had a baby and I found a cute Carter's outfit that has light gray fleece pants, an off white onesie shirt and a bright blue fleece vest! I am so excited to give them something that's not pink! I feel like there tends to be more pink at the typical mall stores like Children's Place and Gymboree, but places like Baby Gap and department stores seem to have things that are a little more trendy and follow the colors that are "in" for grown ups!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Purple. Lace accents. Denim with flowers or ruffles. Clothes with a girlish cut to them. Girly hats. Those headbands with a giant flower.

For the nursery, try cream, dark chocolate brown and a bright green. It is a great background to the pinks and purples and yellows you will be getting, and will go well with blues if you ever have a boy.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I did our nursery in primary colours. It worked well for my son, then my daughter. She was never a huge fan of pink. She didn't dislike it, just had other favourites. Like blue. I was ways able to find a lot of feminine blue things. Purples, greens, yellows...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in US (where I am assuming you reside) it was fairly easy to get pretty much any color. As a single non-parent, even I didn't had a hard time finding stuff for girls with variety of colors. For some items you might have to compromise a little though such as buying things made for boys but that can just as easily be for girls. You will however find lots of blue items.

That being said... whats wrong with giving girls pink items?
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My favorite color in the world was and still is purple! I couldn't get enough of it. My entire bedroom was purple with purple decorations, pillows, bed nets, lamps, doors, candles, tv...everything. Everything was purple; all different shades. I ****ing love(d) it.

As for clothing - you probably have it easier now than parents from my generation! Amazon.com! I don't remember having too many pink outfits.

..but I love pink now too. ^_^
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    First, congrats :smile:

I have 3 girls and we are not overwhelmed with pink at all! I love Gymboree, Children's Place, Crazy 8, and you'll find a big variety in those stores. Also, teal seems to be a very popular girls color. My girls like red, purple, teal, zebra print, etc. Some pink, but not too much :smile:
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Avoiding pink is easier than some previous posters have stated. With five sons, my world is lacking in frou-frou.

ETA: Congratulations, BTW! :anotpinkflowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, the one buying the stuff makes the decision, so just buy her things that aren't pink. When they are little all clothes are unisex anyway. You'll probably end up with some things pink and a lot of other colors, no worries. Unless she has pink-crazy grandmothers, then you'll need to put your foot down.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Shhh... just left it happen.

cat8.gif
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could decorate the nursery in soft pastels other than pink. However, if your daughter grows up to love the color pink you'll have to indulge her.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the color pink. My daughter is not a big fan either. I wish people would respect our wishes when we say "No pink, please." but no such luck. During the infant stage I would say things like, "We're decorating the nursery such and such colors" as she got a little older I would say "Her favorite color is purple" (or whatever her fav color is currently). That seems to work better to get people to buy non-pink things. And yet my daughter's closet is still at least half pink things that she rarely ever wears because people don't listen.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd dress my little girl from head to toe in pink, and wouldn't care.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

I was watching a show once where these girls bought a black tutu and little black biker boots for a baby girl. It was pretty cool!

It was the Kardashians. I saw it on the Kardashians, ok? My guilty pleasure shows are ridiculous.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I don't mind a bit of pink, but I don't feel the need to dress my daughter like a marshmallow every day.

I just don't buy anything pink. She still gets pink gifts, but that's fine since I buy clothes in all sorts of colours. If she gets to an age where she decides pink is her favourite colour then I won't fight it, but I won't be the one to put the idea in her head.

Be prepared for people in stores to refer to your daughter as 'he' whenever she isn't wearing pink, especially if she doesn't have much hair. We get this all the time, even on occasions when she is wearing dresses (not that I care).

I really don't see the point in having everything colour coded for gender. I bought a bath seat and the assistant offered to go back and look for a pink one for us, since apparently girl-babies explode if they have to use something blue.

The good news is that most baby and toddler toys are bright primary colours. The shower of pink plastic doesn't seem to hit until they reach about 3.