PLEASE read if you have children or know children!

Options
Hey folks, this is unrelated to weight loss, but I need to share this with you. Nothing like the fear of God from an unexpected incident to make you feel like you need to blaze a trail and tell the world about this awful, awful thing. This is not a forward, this is about me - Emily (egh1974 on MFP) and it's not a joke. Please EVERYONE read this and share, especially if you have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or know any children at all and you live in North America. Yesterday, while at a wedding in Florida at a state park, I was holding one of the babies. Inside his blanket a Puss Caterpillar (aka Asp, aka Wooly Slug) had found it’s way into the folds. Apparently I rubbed the back of my hand all across this insect and what happened over the following 3 hours I can honestly say were the most painful moments of my life, and yes – that includes natural childbirth. This little *kitten* is the most poisonous caterpillar in North America, causing intense pain that comes in waves and feels like what I could only describe as having my hand slammed in a car door. When it first happened, I felt tingling and needle-like sensations that made me immediately feel like I was having an allergic reaction. It progressed into writhing pain that caused me to hyperventilate, cry, cuss… you name it. My heart was racing and I started freezing, and that’s when I feared going into shock. I had an intense headache and my breathing was labored. After the solid 3 hours of this unbelievable pain, it settled into what felt like my hand was recovering from severe burns. This morning, it feels like I’m still recovering from burns, I’m nauseated, I have a headache, muscle cramps, and generally don’t feel well at all. MY POINT in sharing this is that if God forbid that sweet baby had been attacked by this monster, we never would have known what was wrong with him. There were no visible signs other than a slight red rash and swelling. I got a hefty dose of this poison, and in some cases it can lead to respiratory failure, renal failure, and even death. In the hospital they give morphine for the pain, and had I been near a hospital, I would have welcomed that. PLEASE tell your children – DO NOT PLAY WITH CATERPILLARS. Please, PLEASE show the older kids a picture of a puss caterpillar and teach them to be aware. If this happened to a child you might not have any idea what had happened. We were in Florida yesterday when it happened, but these are all over the south and as far over as Texas and up North as well. They are no joke.

Replies

• ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever personally come across one. Thank you for the heads up. And for anyone else who might be scoffing:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/puss-caterpillar-stings-topic-overview
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Sincerely the most horrific thing. Ever.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding yet another fear to the countless things that make me loose sleep at night as new dad.
  • egh1974
    Options
    Thanks for adding yet another fear to the countless things that make me loose sleep at night as new dad.

Sorry, Elliott :cry:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Good thing they don't live further north than New Jersey. No need to worry here.

Not that I would, even if I had kids. I wouldn't wrap my children in bubble wrap.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

^^^ Awwww. That's normal and you get used to the feeling. Congrats new dad! Sincerely, mom of 2.
  • ronit_rai
    ronit_rai Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    better go to the doctor ..
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Ew and Ow! I've never heard of that species of caterpillar. I hope it doesn't live in NY.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Florida. It seems like every living thing in that state can cause you intense pain or weeks of itching. I'm glad I got out of there.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you go to the ER? Just curious.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think the topic should actually be, "If you are a human being".
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, so if any does ever experience this they will know what it may be.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

^^^ Awwww. That's normal and you get used to the feeling. Congrats new dad! Sincerely, mom of 2.

Elliott,

Here's how I sum up fatherhood. You start to worry when you find out your wife ( or SO, or whatever... ) is pregnant. And then, you worry every day after that. Basically, until you die. Now, the worrying gets way less, as you get used to it... but it never truly goes away.

Emily,

Sorry you had to endure that, but I was so relieved to read that it wasn't your baby.....
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I had to look up a picture, as I had never seen one.

Thank you for sharing this.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be 'don't ever play with caterpillars', it should be 'don't play with THIS caterpillar'. Making your child afraid of the outdoors will only bring out bad news. Same as with 'don't play with a rattlesnake' isn't 'don't play with garter snakes'. Also, they're not found in the Western states. I'm sorry for your experience and thank you for sharing it, but I grew up with a mom who had a lot of fear of what might happen and it didn't help anything.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Ugh, yuck. Glad to live in Nortern Canada. I will keep my snowy cold winters, I hate them, but a harsh climate keeps away many species of nasty, ugly, dangerous, pain inducing bugs. :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I live in the South and have never seen one, but my mom always told me not to touch caterpillars. If I see one in a precarious position, I usually grab a stick, lure them on, and place them in a tree. I'm a caterpillar fan, personally.

Sorry you got sick, but calling it a monster seems to be a bit dramatic. It's just one of God's many wonderful creatures. I mean, have you ever been stung by a scorpion? Seriously... I can't compare the two because I haven't been stung by both, but a scorpion sting isn't far from what you described, and I still wouldn't call them "monsters".
  • egh1974
    Options
    Why didn't you go to the ER? Just curious.

Freckles, I should have... but there wasn't one close by and I am stubborn. I'm back home to GA today and following up with my dr.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wow, never heard of that before, thanks! Crazy looking thing too!!