PLEASE read if you have children or know children!

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You just want us to be aware of this one because it got to you.

Correct.
    Honestly, I'd rather go through that pain and recover than have to live with the effects of a brown recluse bite. Ick.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    [/quote]
    Honestly, I'd rather go through that pain and recover than have to live with the effects of a brown recluse bite. Ick.
    [/quote]

I hope you experience neither.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Correct.

Well then, let me also warn everyone of the horror that is the scorpion. Also prevalent in the south, these little *kitten* will make you feel like you are dying or wish to die just to make the pain and sickness stop. The sting feels like being slapped by metal, subsequently to be followed by immediate and rapid swelling, itchiness, and pain. Within hours, you will run a high fever with a headache. This will be followed by stomach cramps and vomiting. You may not know where you are or have any idea how you came to feel this way. Scorpions are dangerous and deadly and EVERYWHERE in the south so please please please be careful and watch out for them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Correct.

Yes this... having your flesh rot away from the inside out is pretty devastating. Everyone be aware of the dangerous brown recluse. Another nasty little bugger prevalent in the south.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Omgoodness-- when I was little I saw those all the time!! Luckily I was too afraid to touch it, but I sure wanted to because of the fuzzy appearance!!
  • egh1974
    Options
    Omgoodness-- when I was little I saw those all the time!! Luckily I was too afraid to touch it, but I sure wanted to because of the fuzzy appearance!!

Definitely not fun. After sharing this with some of my friends, one friend told me that her brother experienced the same little caterpillar fella with a sting to his spine and went into anaphylaxis shock and almost died. Not such a fuzzy friend!
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    To reference this in terms that Trekkies can understand, this little ba$tard looks like a tribble with a tail.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    To God be the Glory!!! I am so thankful you are ok and will recover and that your child is safe. I am sorry for your pain and I truly appreciate you sharing this with us. I am going to show my son right now because he is always playing with bugs. God bless you and your family.

that+s+enough+internet+for+today+_471b434fb20970cf3387b4a3624a7835.gif
  • egh1974
    Options
    To reference this in terms that Trekkies can understand, this little ba$tard looks like a tribble with a tail.

hahhaahaha! yes, it does!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    To God be the Glory!!! I am so thankful you are ok and will recover and that your child is safe. I am sorry for your pain and I truly appreciate you sharing this with us. I am going to show my son right now because he is always playing with bugs. God bless you and your family.

You're going to Hell. I only thought about it.... you posted it.

:bigsmile:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

You're going to Hell. I only thought about it.... you posted it.

:bigsmile:

Don't worry, I'm going to hell for much worse, I got a haircut yesterday and I'm wearing a polyester and cotton blend shirt today...
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    All I got from that was the writer doesn't know the difference between poisonous and venomous.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

Correct.

Well then, let me also warn everyone of the horror that is the scorpion. Also prevalent in the south, these little *kitten* will make you feel like you are dying or wish to die just to make the pain and sickness stop. The sting feels like being slapped by metal, subsequently to be followed by immediate and rapid swelling, itchiness, and pain. Within hours, you will run a high fever with a headache. This will be followed by stomach cramps and vomiting. You may not know where you are or have any idea how you came to feel this way. Scorpions are dangerous and deadly and EVERYWHERE in the south so please please please be careful and watch out for them.

150187788_scorpions_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Correct.

150187788_scorpions_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg
    Scarred.For.Life.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you mean these guys?

terri-woolly-caterpillar.jpg

That's a Woolly Bear! The bigger the brown stripe in the middle the nicer the winter will be. I think this guy is telling us to watch out.
  • egh1974
    Options
    All I got from that was the writer doesn't know the difference between poisonous and venomous.

Seriously? LOL Poison vs Venom

The terms poison and venom are often used interchangeably, but they actually have very different meanings. It is the delivery method that distinguishes one from the other.

Poison is absorbed or ingested; a poisonous animal can only deliver toxic chemicals if another animal touches or eats it.

Venom, on the other hand, is always injected. Every venomous animal has a mechanism to inject toxins directly into another animal. Stab with tails. Slash with spines. Pierce with fangs. Spike with spurs. Shoot with harpoons. Chew with teeth.

For example, frogs are usually poisonous while snakes are usually venomous.

So, what were you confused about?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Seriously? LOL Poison vs Venom

The terms poison and venom are often used interchangeably, but they actually have very different meanings. It is the delivery method that distinguishes one from the other.

Poison is absorbed or ingested; a poisonous animal can only deliver toxic chemicals if another animal touches or eats it.

Venom, on the other hand, is always injected. Every venomous animal has a mechanism to inject toxins directly into another animal. Stab with tails. Slash with spines. Pierce with fangs. Spike with spurs. Shoot with harpoons. Chew with teeth.

For example, frogs are usually poisonous while snakes are usually venomous.

So, what were you confused about?
    "The Puss Caterpillar or woolly slug is the most poisonous caterpillar in the USA. This little monster will spit acid at any ‘attacker’ and is loaded with poisonous spines all over its body that cause extreme reactions on contact with human skin. Because these creatures can be mistaken for cotton balls as they are quite striking in appearance, people rashly pick them up and really suffer for it. This creepy crawler likes citrus trees, elms, oaks and many different garden plants, so do keep your eyes peeled."

That part. Right there in the definition you provided:
    Spike with spurs.

You're correct. The author of the article was wrong.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I'm really enjoying where this is headed.

3rvlav.jpg
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    never even heard of that...thanks so much for sharing!

just another thing to check for after being out in the woods I guess!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    never even heard of that...thanks so much for sharing!

just another thing to check for after being out in the woods I guess!

Also, check for skid marks. Just sayin....'