PLEASE read if you have children or know children!

Options

Replies

• egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    I live in the South and have never seen one, but my mom always told me not to touch caterpillars. If I see one in a precarious position, I usually grab a stick, lure them on, and place them in a tree. I'm a caterpillar fan, personally.

Sorry you got sick, but calling it a monster seems to be a bit dramatic. It's just one of God's many wonderful creatures. I mean, have you ever been stung by a scorpion? Seriously... I can't compare the two because I haven't been stung by both, but a scorpion sting isn't far from what you described, and I still wouldn't call them "monsters".

I pray that you never understand why I called it a monster...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ugh, yuck. Glad to live in Nortern Canada. I will keep my snowy cold winters, I hate them, but a harsh climate keeps away many species of nasty, ugly, dangerous, pain inducing bugs. :drinker:

^^ this! lol
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Do you mean these guys?

terri-woolly-caterpillar.jpg
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding yet another fear to the countless things that make me loose sleep at night as new dad.

That never goes away, you just find new things to be terrified of. Little man is 3.5 and I haven't relaxed yet. That's what makes us good parents :happy:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    umm.. You're going about it all wrong. Play even MORE with caterpillars. The caterpillar did this to you because you won't play with him. He got jealous. Now if you had played with more caterpillars you'd know which caterpillars are your friends and which aren't?

All caterpillars aren't bad ya know. Asking to not play with caterpillars is caterpillarism just because you had bad experience with one :(
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be 'don't ever play with caterpillars', it should be 'don't play with THIS caterpillar'. Making your child afraid of the outdoors will only bring out bad news. Same as with 'don't play with a rattlesnake' isn't 'don't play with garter snakes'. Also, they're not found in the Western states. I'm sorry for your experience and thank you for sharing it, but I grew up with a mom who had a lot of fear of what might happen and it didn't help anything.

Yeah, I agree with this also.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I hope you'll be okay! Sounds frightening!
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I live in the South and have never seen one, but my mom always told me not to touch caterpillars. If I see one in a precarious position, I usually grab a stick, lure them on, and place them in a tree. I'm a caterpillar fan, personally.

Sorry you got sick, but calling it a monster seems to be a bit dramatic. It's just one of God's many wonderful creatures. I mean, have you ever been stung by a scorpion? Seriously... I can't compare the two because I haven't been stung by both, but a scorpion sting isn't far from what you described, and I still wouldn't call them "monsters".

I was stung by a scorpion and it was NOTHING like what OP described. If something gave me that kind of reaction, monster would be the nicest thing I called it.
  • monicaajames
    monicaajames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To God be the Glory!!! I am so thankful you are ok and will recover and that your child is safe. I am sorry for your pain and I truly appreciate you sharing this with us. I am going to show my son right now because he is always playing with bugs. God bless you and your family.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Florida. It seems like every living thing in that state can cause you intense pain or weeks of itching. I'm glad I got out of there.

I've lived in North Florida/South Georgia for almost nine years and have traveled all over the state and nothing has every happened to me or my daughter.

My SO's aunt did get bit by a brown recluse, but they have a farm and she was clearing brush. I know people who have had some scary snakes on their front stoops, but no one who has been bitten. And I hang out with a large group of cave divers, which is pretty high-risk for coming across those things.

Also, I trail run and hike all the time.

It's good to be aware of things just in case, but I don't think these incidents are all that common.
  • egh1974
    Options
    I knew there would be the usual folks that want to criticize why I posted this, and I don't suggest wrapping children in bubble wrap, but I do think that awareness is important. I hope that you never, ever, ever, ever, ever experience this. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Call it a monster, a beautiful creature, call me crazy, over-dramatic, I really don't care - just please, please be aware, that's my only point to the original post. Please just be aware. That is all.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sorry you got stung sweetie :( we get those all over during spring. It doesnt help that they are adorable and children are inclined to try and pet them! Im glad you and the baby are both okay now!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I was stung by a scorpion and it was NOTHING like what OP described. If something gave me that kind of reaction, monster would be the nicest thing I called it.

Yeah, a scorpion sting is awful... I really thought I was dying... high fever, headache, stomach cramps, delusional, numbness, overall feeling of sickness.
  • egh1974
    Options
    I think the topic should actually be, "If you are a human being".

Indeed
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I knew there would be the usual folks that want to criticize why I posted this, and I don't suggest wrapping children in bubble wrap, but I do think that awareness is important. I hope that you never, ever, ever, ever, ever experience this. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Call it a monster, a beautiful creature, call me crazy, over-dramatic, I really don't care - just please, please be aware, that's my only point to the original post. Please just be aware. That is all.
    I agree it's good to be aware.

It is a bit extreme to call it a monster. It didn't attack you. You brushed against it.

Serial killers, rapists -- those are monsters.

I hope you feel better soon, anyway.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I don't think you are crazy or over dramatic. I probably won't encounter these (on the west coast of Canada), but someone else could. It's good that you shared your experience.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

But there are lots of horrible little creatures in the world that can sting you and make you sick.

You just want us to be aware of this one because it got to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding yet another fear to the countless things that make me loose sleep at night as new dad.

It is never ending....I haven't slept in years.
  • egh1974
    Options
    You just want us to be aware of this one because it got to you.

Correct.