Have my 7 year old on a "diet"

Options

Replies

• imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just feel plain ouy bummed out for your kid. He's 7. If he was the age of 12 or 13, maybe I'd think diff. But 7, really? Your a tiger mom lol
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    I just feel plain ouy bummed out for your kid. He's 7. If he was the age of 12 or 13, maybe I'd think diff. But 7, really? Your a tiger mom lol
    Perhaps it's because you don't see children with medical issues like I do on a daily basis. I don't want a life of illness for my son. I want him to live a long and healthy life. :\
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Giving your kid a healthy diet is obviously great, but weekly weigh ins at age 7 seems wrong to me.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's because you don't see children with medical issues like I do on a daily basis. I don't want a life of illness for my son. I want him to live a long and healthy life. :\

Sounds like you're doing it right, Mom. Good on you for caring enough to get him healthy now.
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I was allowed to be an overweight child from the age of 8. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel bitter about this. I feel like being an overweight child never gave me a chance to be a healthy adult. I was bigger at 12 than I am now and I'm in the same size trousers as when I was 11. You are doing the right thing. I applaud you. He'll appreciate it one day.
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    Giving your kid a healthy diet is obviously great, but weekly weigh ins at age 7 seems wrong to me.
    No matter what I would do, or wouldn't do, something would seem wrong to someone out there. I'm not out to please any person in particular but to do the best I can for myself and my family. I was only asking if anyone else had any success with their overweight children and if they had any tips for long-term success. I've explained numerous times why we chose to weigh him weekly, just to be sure that things don't get out of hand and that he isn't going overboard and losing too quickly. I'd like for this to be a healthy process for him. If I were a terrible and mean mother, I'd do nothing about the issue.
  • JenzL13
    JenzL13 Posts: 27
    Options
    We look at it from the perspective of getting healthy and making healthy choices, too. We don't tell DD, 10, that she is overweight, or that any foods are bad or good...She is 4'10 and 135lbs. She's a muscular girl, too, competing in judo, but she carries a lot of extra around her middle. I'm careful, too, not to talk about myself or my eating plan in those terms either. I talk about opting for an apple instead of a cupcake because its a healthier choice...we've also talked about things like heart disease and diabetes because she is at risk from both sides of our family.

She started C25K with me last week, and she loves it. We use our walking time to talk about her day and other things going on with her. She is excited to try running a 5K with me in the spring. Her doctor thought it was an excellent idea...I'm lucky he doesn't talk about diets or tells kids they are overweight, he also talks about healthy choices and the importance of active play to be healthy.

I don't track her food, but she does take her lunch everyday, and the menu is mutually decided upon.

^This :flowerforyou:

My children arent overweight, but having weight issues myself Im careful to teach them about healthy foods vs treats. I never talk down about myself and noone uses the word 'fat' in this house. Its healthy, or a treat. I feel uneasy about the use of scales, but having said that I commend you on taking action of your childs health and helping him to be a healthier boy. Overweight children can unfortunately be bullied so terribly at school and it can cause life long self esteem issues.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    No matter what I would do, or wouldn't do, something would seem wrong to someone out there. I'm not out to please any person in particular but to do the best I can for myself and my family. I was only asking if anyone else had any success with their overweight children and if they had any tips for long-term success. I've explained numerous times why we chose to weigh him weekly, just to be sure that things don't get out of hand and that he isn't going overboard and losing too quickly. I'd like for this to be a healthy process for him. If I were a terrible and mean mother, I'd do nothing about the issue.

I don't remember saying you were a bad mother. I just personally I don't think a 7 year old should be concerned with weekly weigh ins, but I am not a parent so what do I know. That doesn't mean "ignoring the issue".
  • toridehaven
    Options
    Good for you! I think it's great that you are trying to educate him on proper nutrition and healthy choices. Maybe if I had been given that education by my parents I wouldn't currently be 100 pounds overweight. Instead I learned to feed my depression, anger and sadness with unhealthy food. They were/are great parents but good nutrition just wasn't something we ever discussed. Now that I am overweight and trying to teach myself how to live a healthier lifestyle I am trying to encourage the rest of my family (including my own children) to make better choices. It doesn't sound like you are being overbearing in anyway but are simply doing what you think is best with the support and guidance of your sons doctor!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely let him know that the scale is just to make sure he isn't losing too quickly.

And I'd try to get him into a bit more exercise, too, while y'all are talking now about being healthy. Remember that society likes to have skinny=fit when that's really a bad message to send, imho. Skinnier is definitely healthier for folks too overweight, but being small is not really the point, I don't think. I'd make sure to let him know that since his friends are complimenting him, too. The smaller part for bigger folks is just a pleasant side effect. And 'too small' really exists. That whole convo ;)

If he really liked huge portions of empty food, I'd probably see if he can do those 100-calorie little bags of them, too. There will be empty food around to tempt him all his life, so working on portion control is sometimes better than avoidance. He's still young enough that he might learn to enjoy a little bit of something that's a treat. That would be a nice gift to him, imho :)
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Just a quick post to say well done for the way that you have handled a. encouraging your kid to eat healthily and b. the well meaning but often ill-informed people on these message boards. People quickly skim through your orginal post, don't read the thread, chime in their two cents based on whatever experience (or lack of!) they've had, or whatever mood they are in at that moment and move onto the next post - whereas you are the one left having to deal with this really sensitive issue and sort out the good advice from the garbage on here.

Honestly, you completely have my respect. Good luck to you and your family :)
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good on ya mum!

Measuring his height from time to time may be worth considering. I can remember as a (scrawny little) kid, how ravenously hungry I was during growth spurts.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yeah-he's pretty hefty but u can help him make better choices. Instead of regular soda, my son drinks diet because that is what I drink. There is yogurt, peanut butter & crackers & make the portions smaller & that should help also. Fruits & veggies are always a great choice as well.....
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I found this to be useful advice. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/childhealth6-15/Pages/child-health-measurement-programme-overweight-advice.aspx

I think some of the advice is aimed at kids with less to lose, but still might be useful for the long term. If you continue with encouraging activity and eating the right foods it will work out as he grows.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great topic and I think the OP is doing it the right way. As a person who formerly had a lifetime weight problem, I definitely want to spare my children the same. My oldest child currently has a weight problem and I am trying to do the same as the OP and teach him better choices, appropriate portions, and the difference between wanting something and being hungry as well as the fact that the body uses our food as fuel and we really only need what we need.... I definitely steer away from even saying fat or and focus on health and energy and having a body that feels good. It is definitely a delicate balance. We also weigh about every week or so, but look at it as seeing how he is growing not that the number is good or bad. Another poster indicated parents have control or should have. However, there are many hours in the day that your child is not with you if they go to school. I can't control completely what he eats at school. I have to teach him to choose wisely. I do send him with his lunch, but if he has time, he can still buy from the cafeteria... Also, I had to send a doctor's note to prevent him from being served sugary snacks at school or after school care! Things are so bureaucratic that they needed a note to "not" give him their standard snack, which may be rice krispy treats! LOL smh... So, you really can only try to teach them and hope they get it sooner than later.... Thanks for the thread. Glad to see what other people are doing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks commending the OP for choosing a diet (in the broad sense) of whole foods, and limited sugary crap. great!

You're doing a great job mom. And laying the ground work for a great diet (in the broad sense).

Interesting juxtaposition to the adult threads.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    From what I read in your original post, you don't have your son on a diet. You are teaching him about making good food choices and portion control so that when he goes out into the world he will be able to make good dietary choices. You sounds like an excellent parent. That's wonderful you are helping your son become healthy.

My friend is doing the same thing with her overweight granddaughter- trying to teach her about portion control, and what a portion actually is.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular soda, my son drinks diet because that is what I drink.

Please, do NOT give a small child soda or anything, for that matter, stuffed with artificial sweeteners and chemical substitutes. The evidence of their safety for consumption by adults is shaky, at best, and more evidence is coming to light of their negative effects, with longer histories of exposure available for analysis and more in-depth neurological study, in particular. In children, with their developing bodies and hugely-evolving brains, it is highly unlikely to be wise or safe.
  • smallersandy
    smallersandy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My son was 13 and 202. At 14 he joined HS football and decided to put himself on a healthier diet. He started exercising a lot because of football workouts and he decided to ask for fruit at the grocery store. He LOVES fruit. He also cut out all soda and will drink a lot of water and now will only have about 1-2 soda a day. He has lost about 15-20 lbs since June. He looks fantastic and has also sprouted up a few more inches. I am so proud of him for doing this and taking control of it. I did not have to say anything to him about his weight. He got to a certain age and got tired of the looks and comments in school. My son is now about 5'11 and 185lbs ( he will be 15 in December )
  • wingchungym
    Options
    Huummm! I go with boiled egg and soldiers or plain porridge oats or an unsweetened cerial, with a teaspoon of organic honey and a sprinkle of nuts or sultaners and swap them around for variety My 8yr old loves this. remember we are the adults and we buy the food that is stocked in the cubbords, if you have self control when you shop…well nuff said lol
    Good luck, sounds like you are back on track, surfice to say…FOOD…KEEP IT REAL! :smile: