Hunger can make you happy

Options
1235»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_led49gyufo1qdlkgg.gif

One CAN feel a bit of rush in eating healthier, but if you're starting to feel high from not eating enough, that's a dangerzone right there.

Haha but didnt our ancestors live with hunger for days and weeks and still run after their kills

Our ancestors did a bunch of stupid things. They are dead. Using this type of logic you should eat bugs and sleep in caves. Rape and pillage. Because our ancestors did.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im high as heck... maybe cuz I posted this and its placebo but I feel really good right now and its the first time Im really feeling the hunger pangs since I started cutting cals...

Seriously, get some help. Call an eating disorder helpline, go to http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/, and EAT.
    /thread
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hunger certainly doesn't make me "happy," but I know that, once I stopped overindulging and actually allowed myself to feel a bit hungry, food definitely started tasting better.

It sort of reminds me of that Eddie Murphy skit about a starving man being given a cracker. :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hunger sucks ask the billion or so children who face it everyday in this world
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But they're always smiling in the commercials!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

No one can smile with Sarah McClachlan playing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Those aren't children, Aurie.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Beginning to think this might be a pro-ana troll thread - any thoughts?
  • mrscool5
    Options
    LOL Yeah, this would only work if the "happy" in that sentence is code for "grumpy witch" (with a b)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Those aren't children, Aurie.

Puppies are my children ;____;
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    Okay, as a former anorexic I have to say this is partly true. When you are hungry/starving your body is under stress and produces hormones like adrenaline, this can cause a 'high' that might feel like slight happiness for a little while.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm with Allie...it makes me grumpy
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, but i have a long standing policy of not taking eating advice from someone that has the word "starving" as part of their nickname.

My thoughts exactly! :wink:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    So I actually read the link from the OP.

Setting aside that the article is over 5 years old (and we don't know how much older the SINGLE study is) …

Setting aside that it is a journalist report on a study, not the study itself, and as such has all of the errors, biases, and misreporting inherent in a journalist report …

Setting aside that the study was done on mice …

It merely reports small increases in Ghrelin from hunger. Ghrelin is one hormone that may be associated with depression (lack of ghrelin associated with depression, that is). So, from what I can get off the article, it's unreasonable to say that hunger can make you happy. That sounds like bad reporting to me, and something easily abused by anyone who is pro-ana.

EDIT: Trying to find the actual studies (using google as OP suggested … ha, no luck there) and I read more about ghrelin. It is not a happiness hormone - it is a hormone that may stimulate/signal hunger. Double read the linked article, and what it said was "mice with more ghrelin seemed less depressed" :huh: Some slight correlation, perhaps, between hunger and happiness, but really it seems to ignore many possible confounding factors.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the Bacon but will leave quickly when Flock of Seagull or Sarah Mac :noway: starts to sing!! Never seen Hunger Games but ready for lunch right now. I'm sure my co-workers are happy when I eat so therefore, my eating makes the entire office happy :bigsmile:

I do, however, get happy when I eat well and stick to good choices!
This discussion has been closed.