To share or not to share your food journal

Options

Replies

• OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine stays private. I eat a diet talored to my own medical issues. I eat low fiber and lower fat to control my gastroparesis, I got tired of unsolicited advice about how I should eat more fiber and fruit. Yeah that would send me to the hospital...

Yep! Same here. Mine looks wonky for medical reasons, too. Most of my protein and nutrients have to come from non-meat sources and no red meat at all. Some days my diary looks like it was filled in by a six-year old. Nice thing, though, most of the people who see mine know the reason why.

Having it public does keep me honest with myself. It's hard to justify an extra cookie ("it's okay, won't hurt ya,") when I know someone could wag a finger at me.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just started sharing mine, but if I got any negative comments because I'm doing Keto I'll probably hide it again, I'm not really arsed with all the "omg you're gonna die from 70% fat!!!!!"
  • starrycarina
    Options
    I share mine. I figure if someone gets negative, I'll ask them to keep things positive and motivational on my journal and if they continue with the negativity, then they can easily be removed.

But if I were you, I'd share it. Why not open yourself to more positive comments and suggestions/tips as well as helping others with ideas with meals! I've gotten awesome ideas for meals for the husband and I from looking at other people's food journals! So as far as I'm concerned, the positives outweigh any potential negativity which can easily be fixed anyway! :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just started sharing mine, but if I got any negative comments because I'm doing Keto I'll probably hide it again, I'm not really arsed with all the "omg you're gonna die from 70% fat!!!!!"

Yeah I was similarly cautious in the sense that I do Intermittent Fasting but all my friends know about this, so I don't really get anyone giving themselves a coronary while telling me all about "starvation mode" etc. And now about 50% of my friends are fellow IF-ers...
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I share mine, but none of my mfp friends are negative in any way. It is more to keep me accountable. ^_^
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mine's open for friends only. No one has ever commented on it. I rarely look at other people's journal unless they are asking for feedback. Does anyone really care what anyone else eats?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I share mine... but I still HATE sharing it.

But, I run a challenge based on Green Days vs. Red days so I would be a big hypocrite if I did not share it! :laugh:

I do have some MFP friends that look into it and we find "common ground"

On the other had i have some friends that make spot judgements that frankly really piss me off :explode:
    Re: not eating enough of this or that or eating too much of this or that.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I figure if people like looking at food journals to get ideas and such ... they certainly don't need to look at mine. It isn't inspiring in any way. At best I'm boring, at worst I'm bad. I opened mine up for a bit, hoping maybe I'd feel pressure to keep my intake cleaner ... it didn't really work, I just felt the urge to fudge things. I decided to go back to private and at least stay completely honest. That few days I had it open though, I didn't get any negative comments from friends. It's just my own insecurities.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I share mine, to friends. You'll find beer. ice cream from time to time, and other things some people may question if they think you are "on a diet" you'll also see exercise so I can have a beer or pizza or maybe beer and pizza.

I don't feel a need to hide anything and I just ignore it if anyone comments on my choices unless I've invited comment and that's different, I would be looking for troubleshooting assistance.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at getting my food logged. However I don't care if others don't like what I eat. The nice part is if I'm struggling I can ask friends to look and give me some advice. I usually get told you need more veggies. I know when I open the fridge I think about their comment and try to grab veggies. If someone is going to judge me over my food intake sorry you'll be deleted! Being helpful and being judgmental are two different things.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Mine is hidden. It helps me be completely honest about my food if I know only I and select friends can see it.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am keeping mine open because six months from now, and I have successfully have lost a steady 1-2 lbs per month, I can show that I eat Pizza and have a realistic approach to life. Not some derp-based orthorexic "bunker" mentality. LOL :drinker:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I share mine because I am only as sick as my secrets. And because I love it when I can look at others' diaries and get ideas, so I want to reciprocate. If someone were to be judgey about my food I would take them off my FL.

Having said that, I just went through a period where I was in a really bad spot with my food and I closed my diary. I didn't feel bad about that either. It's really up to each individual what they want to do.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I didnt read the other replies, so maybe this has been said. But I think it depends on what you want out of it. If you just want to see for yourself what you are eating, and you want to make sure that you are honest, it might be best to keep it private for now. Then you won't be tempted to misrepresent your day. That will give you a good solid idea of what you are eating, where you can improve, etc. Now, if you want suggestions, you will need to open it up, at least to your friends. If you don't know much about what your body needs, it might be beneficial to let someone have a look so they can make suggestions "cut back on this, try to up that, here are some foods to help you acheive that, etc".
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Set your privacy setting however it suits you best...

If you're afraid of being judged you may not be completely honest. If you think this is the case, keep it private.

If you think it'll make you more accountable, keep it public, or at least viewable by friends only.

I sort of picked an in-between option. My diary is open to my friends but I don't care for any kind of comments so I don't hit the "complete" button which eliminates that alert from popping up on my friends' news feed(s). No alert, no comments.

Just know, if you ask for assistance, you will be asked to make your diary public if it isn't already. It's hard for folks to give feedback if they can't see what you've been eating and/or doing for exercise.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    I share mine cause its not about anyone else its about me, but its nice to get tips and comments from my friends :smile:
    You could always put your diary on private if you don't want anyone seeing.

I am with my friend MissCKemp on this one. Good to get feedback and support from your friend list. I understand some have had some critical comments in the past which I really don't understand or accept. Try it....
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Personally, I look into others on occasion for 2 reasons. 1) I love new ideas and this is a great way! 2) I like to see what kind of macros and calories others have who in particular who are lifting and/or have fabulous results. Personally I never judge, and I hope that people don't judge me. I am brutally honest in my journal and it's open. If I eat a bag of m&m's or have a few beers, I throw it in there. We're all human and it helps me when I say,"why am I not losing weight?" to look back and say "oh...yeahhhh...." :drinker: My opinion is that we're all here for the same basic reasons so why judge and why keep it closed? If someone chooses to be vegetaian, paleo, some form of fasting, or some other "diet" it's their choice and it shouldn't matter to others.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Share it. The more accountability, the better. And if you're stalling, having an open diary makes it much easier for your pals to help you out. Share share share!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I figure if people like looking at food journals to get ideas and such ... they certainly don't need to look at mine. It isn't inspiring in any way. At best I'm boring, at worst I'm bad. I opened mine up for a bit, hoping maybe I'd feel pressure to keep my intake cleaner ... it didn't really work, I just felt the urge to fudge things. I decided to go back to private and at least stay completely honest. That few days I had it open though, I didn't get any negative comments from friends. It's just my own insecurities.

This! I don't really fill it out totally everyday anyway. I use it as a tool to keep me on track. I've been doing this long enough that I know where my calories are and where I need to focus. When I log it's because I've gotten out of hand and need to focus. I log my food randomly and don't usually add in everything so it's not really something that needs to be shared or open. It's completely for me.
  • soldiersmudge
    Options
    Theres no reason to not to want others to see it?? If ur filling it in honestly with everything and not cheating then it will help people help u find out why things maybe arent working!!Im rigid with every last gram of save I use!!!