Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Understand all the "defend the kids" responses.

That said, It took someone telling me point blank that I was fat before I realized it. Yeah, yeah, I'd had to buy new pants that fit.....but that didn't make me aware. Yeah, yeah........my wetsuit made it hard for me to breathe (had a friend die of heart attack due to a tight wet suit), but that didn't make me aware.

It took someone telling me to my face, that I was fat, before I realized the truth ... the reality....that I had so stealthily kept from my own conscience, despite the warning signs.

I'm glad my wife told me I was fat. Nobody else had.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

That said, It took someone telling me point blank that I was fat before I realized it. Yeah, yeah, I'd had to buy new pants that fit.....but that didn't make me aware. Yeah, yeah........my wetsuit made it hard for me to breathe (had a friend die of heart attack due to a tight wet suit), but that didn't make me aware.

It took someone telling me to my face, that I was fat, before I realized the truth ... the reality....that I had so stealthily kept from my own conscience, despite the warning signs.

I can understand that. I just take issue with the letter being given to a child. I know that if my sisters and I walked up to a door and one of us got candy while me and the youngest got a letter....there's no way it would have made it to my mom. Candy sister would have demanded to know what we got in envelopes..in case it was money or something better. *shrugs* Sometimes we delude ourselves, but kids can be cruel enough when you're fat, short, super skinny, have a speech issue, disability, etc. There is no excuse for some random adult to do it too.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

The difference is, you were an adult.
  • BrittyBby10
    BrittyBby10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ACTUALLY LIVE IN THIS TOWN and this lady is giving us a bad name, i agree with everyone who says hand out an apple or some other sort of healthier alternative. It actually makes me ashamed to live in the same community as her. Halloween is one day a year and did not create the obesity epidemic, this lady needs to get a grip. There is a problem with childhood obesity everywhere and hurting a childs feelings is not even close to being proactive about the situation. TRUST ME, WE DO NOT HAVE A RIDICULOUS SURPLUS OF HEAVY CHILDREN.
  • BrittyBby10
    BrittyBby10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

Don't be dense. It's not a letter "explaining that your child is a little overweight." It's an insulting, demeaning, humiliating slap in the face of a child. A child who may already be feeling crappy about being obese and is just out having some fun with his/her friends. Really. Don't be an *kitten*.
    I am being an *kitten*?
    People are saying that they would resort to physical violence for getting this note.
    And I am the *kitten*?
    I am not saying that this lady is right however; assuming that the kids are right there, punching this lady in the face is really the wrong message to pass to the kids.
    What is going to happen when she decides to stand her ground and defend herself from the physical assauly with deadly force?
    Won't that be a wonderful lesson for little Timmy?
    "Look, Daddy got his heart blown out because he decided to punch a housewife."

Nobody's doing any punching. People are expressing their anger at the woman's actions in an online forum where no children are present. Relax
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    OT but a bit amusing:

I'm in S.E. Louisiana... it's still pretty hot here at Halloween.

Last year, hubby and I were giving out candy and we had a case of water bottles in the back of the truck. Some of those costumes are REALLY hot, and when I'd see a hot, sweaty child, I'd ask if they wanted candy or water.

Water. 100% of the time. They'd drink it right there and not one forgot to say "thank you".

Oh, BTW, we give out good candy... not the crappy "stuff still left over in February" type.

I love that idea. I think I'll include a tray of small bottles of water alongside the candy this year. Though the neighbors a few doors down may not appreciate all the requests to use the restroom :laugh:

Awww... that makes me happy to know that some thirsty kids will get water, and (oddly) that I might have indirectly inspired slight annoyance from your neighbors. Is that bad??? I think it might be!

It makes me wish there was a warm alternative. We've already had a bit of snow up here so handing out water when it's going to be near freezing by nightfall doesn't work, but I can't really give out hot spiced apple cider to anonymous kids either. drat...

Why not hot chocolate?

For the same reason I can't give apples, oranges, or the popcorn balls my grandmother made. Not many parents will let their kids eat or drink something not originally wrapped. Too much stranger danger.

Eh, fair enough. I guess I've been living in a neighborhood where everyone knows each other for long enough to start taking it for granted.

The weather in the midwest may suck, but the people rock.
  • cheninmatthews21
    cheninmatthews21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If ANYONE took it upon themselves to judge my kid's body, I'd punch them straight in the face.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
  • hotllamarama
    hotllamarama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep your d**n opinion to yourself and opt out of Halloween if it bothers you that much.

If my girl came away from a house with a letter like that, I would be straight back to have words. I also think I'd gather all the recipients of said letters together to remind her that the choice is 'trick or treat', and in the absence of a treat....

Seriously, though, it's crap like this that leads kids into eating disorders.

1st thought... Lady is a total @$$
    2nd thought... Throat Punch
    3rd thought... This is how eating disorders are created
    4th thought... She's going to have a ton of livid parents at her doorstep.
    5th thought... Throat Punch

Yes... Lots of punches to the throat.

She can hand out healthy treats if she feels so strongly about overweight children. But not having any knowledge of their background or anything personal she is being ignorant and fat shaming those kids... It's wrong to single out those kids and reward "healthy looking" kids with candy.

I'm thankful I don't have children... I would be one angry mom.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    funny
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hand out a healthy snack to the kid, and the letter to the parents. If she feels the need to voice her opinion that is.

This!

Kids will only understand that they are being penalized and singled out!

Besides, she doesn't know what the parents are doing! My mom sure as heck didn't let us keep all our candy when we were little. She would sift through it, let us keep some, and we could only eat it if we were being good! The rest of it got thrown away!

Edit to say: Candy didn't make me fat. Lack of exercise in my 20's did!
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Next she'll be telling them there is no Santa...:angry:

Wait! What! There is no Santa :sad:
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    While I don't 100% agree with her approach it is her prerogative to give them out and it's a parents prerogative to do what they wish with it

What I don't agree with are all the people posting here saying that they'd "throat punch" her or "kick her in the taint" for giving them out. I honestly hope they're just joking or trying to be cool by saying that. If not then that's really sad that anyone would resort to that type of behavior and if they did I'd hope she would call the cops and sue for assault.
  • toridehaven
    Options
    Betcha her house gets egged!!!!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face. If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad and I will eff you up.

This a hundred times over.

It is not her place to make any child feel comfortable about themselves or to embarass them in front of their peers. She's a horrible person in my opinion.

Eh....

I'm trying to think of something healthy and I can't. Granola bars are worse than candy, fruit bars are ****, wtf else can people give out? Beef jerky.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hope she gets every bit of attention she is seeking by doing this. Maybe by the fith week of cleaning eggs off your house and replacing flat tires she will come to realize her genius way of getting her 15 minutes of fame wasn't nearly as wise as she thought it would be.

I don't think she is counting on how insanely crazy some parents are out there as well. I'm not sure what part of town she is in but she may come to realize that some parents have spent more than one occasion in jail for assault from someone saying far less to them. Hell, there was a shooting not too long ago in my town bc a persons kid didn't get a piece of birthday cake.

This will not end well for her and I think its pretty obvious she is not doing this bc she is concerned about the childhood obesity problem.

Exactly! When I was 14 I was outside my aunt's apartment complex playing with my cousin and sister. The 24yo woman in the apartment above had 2 little boys and an infant. The 2 boys were in the window and had thrown a baby blanket out onto the ground and then poured a container of baby powder out of the window as well. My aunt stepped outside and we pointed it out to her, and just then the lady had appeared in the window. My aunt called up to her and just let her know (politely, I might add - my aunt is the sweetest most harmless woman in the world) what her boys had done, just to make her aware. This lady responded by threatening to come downstairs and fight her. My aunt was literally dumbfounded by this, as were my cousin, sister and myself. Before anyone could say anything this woman came down stairs, grabbed my aunt by the hair, pulled her head down and started wailing on her back. My aunt could not fight back in this position. After what seemed like forever (but was probably only a few seconds) the adrenaline rushed over me and I walked up to them and punched the woman in the mouth. She let go of my aunt and the fight was over. So like you said, this lady is taking a HUGE risk pulling a stunt like this - she might open her door to a shotgun in the face or something. People are crazy.
  • MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook. I think it's a horrible idea. What about a group of kids that go up together and she deems only one of them (by her own twisted standards most likely) to be "letter material?" What is that child going to think? She claims that it takes a village to raise a child and she's "helping" her village become healthier. How is it healthy to embarrass children? Who is she to judge them? For all she knows they could have a medical condition that caused weight gain, a side effect of many medications. Someone should educate this village member about grammar check as well. "You child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season." Umm it's Your child not You child, I hope that the members of her village boycott her house and leave her sitting with a pile of letters and candy!
  • toridehaven
    Options
    You know another thing that really chaps my a** about this whole thing, she will hand out letters to those that are in her OWN opinion obese. So is she going to hand out a survey first to determine everyone's BMI? What if some kid is wearing a sumo costume and appears to be fat but actually isn't? Would that require a strip search??? Lady is out of her ever-lovin' mind!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    That's cold.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hope that this is a publicity stunt designed to get the message out about childhood obesity and that she has no intention to give out any letters.

But she'll need to send out a "Trick" letter or everyone who didn't get one will count their kids as not visibly obese. :bigsmile:

I'm not trying to make light-I can't imagine how this would feel to a child. Hand out little activity toys-bouncy balls, jump ropes, crayons if you don't want to pass out candy.