Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Meh karma...hurt a child it comes back triple fold

Thank you. I think this is the best response I've seen this thread.

I am so angry about this woman's letter, and about the way a few of the responses supporting her decision were worded, that I haven't been able to type an appropriate reply without enough vitriol to get at least a strike :cry: You came in with a voice of reason that reminds me I can let this go.

See, I have a child with a chromosome deletion that causes hypotonia, so even though he is near underweight, he has a pot belly and big droopy cheeks. I am always hearing "Oh, he's so chubby!" (He's young enough that right now people think it's a compliment :noway:) When, in fact, we are adding calories, and especially fats, to every meal just to keep him on the charts at all. In 5 years, I'm sure I'll get those well meaning comments about childhood obesity and, while I know better, it already breaks my heart.

Yes, my situation is not typical. But my point is, you never know what is causing the physical appearance of obesity. And shaming other people, especially kids, or their parents for being "bad parents", is never going to help.

OK, now I really can let it go.
    <deep breaths>

Awwwww. I'm really genuinely so glad that someone's comment made you able to feel calm enough to post. Your post was a valuable one as I suspected there might be instances out there where the "obese" child might be working real hard on things and in your case it's the exact opposite and further highlights why someone in the position of handing out candy for 60 seconds on a dark night when everyone's dressed up in figure hiding garb anyways should not be arming herself with possible ED provoking* letters.

* "Fargo news outlet Valley Live News quotes a professor of clinical psychology in saying the letter could topple some kids over the edge and straight into an eating disorder: If the child is "vulnerable, it might trigger major problems."--http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-obesity-letter-halloween-20131030,0,3525197.story#axzz2jE3mbby6
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If my child came home with her letter I would be having some words with her. She stated she didn't want to be the mean lady in the neighborhood and would not deny any child candy, but then your going to give the kid a letter saying your child is fat and your a bad parent because of it.....yea that a one way ticket to the mean lady forever spot.

If you are that concerned provide a healthy option instead of candy, give out a toy instead....but as a parent I would be knocking her door down to chew her up and spit her out.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    ... arming herself with possible ED provoking* letters.

This lady sounds like a treat. I'm sure she promotes BOTH kinds of ED
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

This...definitely this...it's one thing to talk to me about it...but to give something like that to a child who may develop issues from this, this could be very damaging to the child and the person passing out the letter...more so to the woman passing out the letter...I'd punch a b***h.

To the poster above who says that he doesn't believe some of us would assault the woman...I don't have any kids, but if this happened to my niece or nephew, yeah, you better believe I would. I'd go to jail for assault for someone basically verbally abusing my niece/nephew. It is not her right to give a letter to the kids. Come talk to the parents all she wants, but to actually pass out letters to kids?!?! Kids who may already have self esteem issues and already hate the way they look. I was 9 and waaaaay overweight. I was struggling just to stay positive, I was struggling when I changed my ways, and I still have issues. I didn't need anyone else pointing out what I already knew at age 9. Though I had kids and my own brother and sister calling me fat and such. Things like this can have a lasting effect on kids that will be there their whole lives.

Ummmm, and yeah, I would punch a B. Not that I think this is the answer; however, if my child is crying because of something an adult did to them being careless then, ummmm, yup I'm about to get careless on a fool. I would gladly spend a few days in jail to lay someone out who is hurting children just because she can and she can't hold her tongue on her opinion. And, yes, I do know that some people have guns, but I'm stupid if an adult hurts ANY child in my presence...well, call the cops now.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    No offense to people living up in ND but you notice this isn't happening in a more populated city lol.. You tried this *kitten* in my neighborhood growing up and screw Tp bricks probably would have flown. Seriously though my kids are twigs but if someone did this to a child infront of me I would make them cry.....
  • JuliaLee67
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

what's wrong is this woman thinking its her business to hand out letters like this in the first place. if she has such a huge problem with Halloween/obesity [because the two are so related.......................somehow.........], she should keep her lights off and opt out.
  • nuts4elephant
    nuts4elephant Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    haha....wow.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    She's a *****. she should just turn out her light and crawl under her bed. She is one of the things wrong in this world. I hope her house, car, and face get egged, toiletpapered, and smashed. Now you did it, I'm off on another rant! :grumble: :explode: :mad:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I am so angry about this woman's letter, and about the way a few of the responses supporting her decision were worded, that I haven't been able to type an appropriate reply without enough vitriol to get at least a strike :cry: You came in with a voice of reason that reminds me I can let this go.

See, I have a child with a chromosome deletion that causes hypotonia, so even though he is near underweight, he has a pot belly and big droopy cheeks. I am always hearing "Oh, he's so chubby!" (He's young enough that right now people think it's a compliment :noway:) When, in fact, we are adding calories, and especially fats, to every meal just to keep him on the charts at all. In 5 years, I'm sure I'll get those well meaning comments about childhood obesity and, while I know better, it already breaks my heart.

Yes, my situation is not typical. But my point is, you never know what is causing the physical appearance of obesity. And shaming other people, especially kids, or their parents for being "bad parents", is never going to help.

<deep breaths>

You know what in your situation a strike would have been so worth it. You could have slammed the dull thinkers down with a few sentences, and I would have enjoyed reading it. But you remained classy and a lady, so I have to give you credit there. Blessings to your little guy.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    She's entitled to her opinion because her tax dollars will be paying for your obese child's healthcare.

How's the fishing today? Any bites?

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I forsee a flaming bag of crap on her doorstep..... LOL
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What an awful thing to do to little kids :( It makes me sad .... it is not the kids fault.
    Part of the problem of letting your child trick-or-treat at strangers houses...

This makes sense to me. We know all our neighbors for blocks around us and it is always great to see the neighbor kids come by.

But there is also another pattern i see... I live in an urban neighborhood (grid pattern) where parents from the suburbs drive bring their kids by the van load to trick or treat. Its kind of funny in a way, but also sad they don't trick or treat in their own neighborhood (and many come from very nice neighborhoods -- lol -- much more upscale than mine).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I wish this was true. It seems like in life people can hurt children however severely they want and get away with it forever because of the power, control and manipulation they can have over a child that is not developmentally able to protect themselves (especially if the person harming them is in a parental role), and other adults are not willing to do the right thing that they are capable of. Sorry to suddenly get so serious (or be a Debbie downer). I just really wish that karma was true, but I don't see it demonstrated. But, it's still a better life to be a genuinely kind and loving person, to be able to have genuine love in our lives, and to be genuinely kind to children. Maybe there is some kind of karma that eventually catches up. Life isn't over yet, I guess there is still time for me to see this demonstrated. It's not something I am counting on, but I can always hope. It's just that the sooner something happens, the sooner more kids can be protected. In my situation I have done everything I can and will continue to do whatever I can.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

<deep breaths>

I'll bet your child is going to be adorable on Halloween.

Frankly... chubby, skinny, physically or mentally challenged... I don't care. When hubby and I get the treats ready and the kiddies swarm up to us, we are both euphoric, to be honest.
    Some kids have wonderful costumes, others are not-so-great. But they're all excited. They aren't themselves for a night!
    Let's face it, Halloween is one day a year that it REALLY doesn't matter what you look like!

f you can look at the kids and think, "here's a nasty letter 'cause your weight isn't what I think it should be", you just really need therapy... and lots of it!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My mother doesn't hand out candy at all for this reason...but, then she doesn't hand out healthy snacks either (too many children with allergies or special diets, in her opinion), so she hands out unsharpened pencils in crazy colors and patterns. I live across the street...and I hand out little packs of crayons.

ETA: There is a lady in our neighborhood who hands out little prayer booklets on the evils of Halloween...we just shake our heads and wonder why she even answers her door and leaves her light on...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

<deep breaths>

Thanks for sharing this!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My mother doesn't hand out candy at all for this reason...but, then she doesn't hand out healthy snacks either (too many children with allergies or special diets, in her opinion), so she hands out unsharpened pencils in crazy colors and patterns. I live across the street...and I hand out little packs of crayons.

Poor kids.:laugh: :noway:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Poor kids.:laugh: :noway:

My kids get so much candy on Halloween that they actually are very happy when they get non-candy treats that last longer. They would probably love a pencil. And it's good that this women is handling her own issues this way and not by not attacking the children directly.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    All the outrage and "If that happened to MY kid .. " posts are fun and all, but in giving this careful consideration .. I don't believe the story. Or at least the narrative as it seems popularly presented today.

Do I believe a lady sent a sample letter and called a radio station to say she was doing this? Yep.

Do I believe a lady will actually be doing this? Nooooooo.

This was a nice little troll by some woman .. she's sitting back and watching everyone lose their ****ing minds. And probably having a chuckle.

I just don't believe a human being could be THAT stupid. If this happens, her name is certain to get out. An angry neighbor could snap a couple pics of her house, post her address on a public forum. Right or wrong, her house will be targeted by pranksters (vandals, whatever) on halloween night AND in the future. The script kiddies and /b/tards will go their normal harassing phone calls 24/7 and daily massive pizza orders to her house once she's been doxed ...

I reject the idea that she either doesn't understand this or doesn't give a damn.

I believe we as a nation have had our chain yanked.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    She's entitled to her opinion because her tax dollars will be paying for your obese child's healthcare.

right, and my tax dollars paid for your public education. do I get an opinion on which idiotic statements you get to spout off?

Nice one I like that. I've been trying to find a good retort for that silly argument, but havent been able to find anything I like. I like that comment.

it just came to me today actually. I'm gonna start using it more!